Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Assault Weapons Ban

New Assault Weapons Ban

Great, here we go. Kind of knew it was coming sooner or later and that the economy no matter how bad, wouldn't have been much of a distraction. The part of the article I really get a kick out of is on page two and a quote from Holder:

"I think closing the gun show loophole, the banning of cop-killer bullets and I also think that making the assault weapons ban permanent, would be something that would be permitted under Heller," Holder said, referring to the Supreme Court ruling in Washington, D.C. v. Heller, which asserted the Second Amendment as an individual's right to own a weapon.

The gun show loophole they cry about still makes me laugh. And banning of cop-killer bullets??? HAHAHAHA!! Don't all bullets kill?? or does it take special ones for cops? In case you haven't figured that out, what they are hinting at is high powered hunting cartridges. Meaning all you hunters might as well kiss your store bought ammo goodbye(start reloading now).

As for making the Assault Weapons Ban permanent, we all knew this was coming as it was part of Obama/Biden's stance on crime in their Urban Policy section of their campaign/website(scroll down to Crime and Law Enforcement).

Pretty soon it's going to hit the proverbial fan when this all comes down. But people can't complain, because this is the change they all voted for.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=6960824&page=1 (for full story)
    By JASON RYAN
    WASHINGTON, Feb. 25, 2009

The Obama administration will seek to reinstate the assault weapons ban that expired in 2004 during the Bush administration, Attorney General Eric Holder said today.

"As President Obama indicated during the campaign, there are just a few gun-related changes that we would like to make, and among them would be to reinstitute the ban on the sale of assault weapons," Holder told reporters.

Holder said that putting the ban back in place would not only be a positive move by the United States, it would help cut down on the flow of guns going across the border into Mexico, which is struggling with heavy violence among drug cartels along the border.

"I think that will have a positive impact in Mexico, at a minimum." Holder said at a news conference on the arrest of more than 700 people in a drug enforcement crackdown on Mexican drug cartels operating in the U.S.

Mexican government officials have complained that the availability of sophisticated guns from the United States have emboldened drug traffickers to fight over access routes into the U.S.

A State Department travel warning issued Feb. 20, 2009, reflected government concerns about the violence.

"Some recent Mexican army and police confrontations with drug cartels have resembled small-unit combat, with cartels employing automatic weapons and grenades," the warning said. "Large firefights have taken place in many towns and cities across Mexico, but most recently in northern Mexico, including Tijuana, Chihuahua City and Ciudad Juarez."

At the news conference today, Holder described his discussions with his Mexican counterpart about the recent spike in violence.
    "I met yesterday with Attorney General Medina Mora of Mexico, and we discussed the unprecedented levels of violence his country is facing because of their enforcement efforts," he said.

Holder declined to offer any time frame for the reimplementation of the assault weapons ban, however.

"It's something, as I said, that the president talked about during the campaign," he said. "There are obviously a number of things that are -- that have been taking up a substantial amount of his time, and so, I'm not sure exactly what the sequencing will be."
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Re: New Assault Weapons Ban

Bout time--fuck the NRA!

Quote Originally Posted by RYBO View Post
    anyone give this thread more than 24 hours?
    Hey Rybo, I didn't start this for it to become a flame war. It's just I got the link from another forum. Posted it here for info and that's all. I missed this in the news yesterday and wanted to throw it up here for all the gun people. And yeah I give this thread more then 24 hours if people can actually intelligently discuss it. Or not discuss it, it's not a big deal. It's mainly to read up on and so forth.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Right-Wing Nut-Job DavidofColorado's Avatar

Just a few changes huh? Like banning all self loading rifles.

I don't know if that would fuck the NRA. It might give them a boost that they needed. But it sure would fuck the people that hunt and target shoot pretty well. And it might drive up crime too. And lastly this one issue hurt the dems in 1994 and it might hurt them again. They might be out of power for another 12 years. And I thought they could do some good this time. I guess you can't trust a politician with a pet peave.

In order to beat the ban going into effect, does anyone know a good, reputable gun dealer to get an AR15 from?
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by rybo
    anyone give this thread more than 24 hours?
    Hahahaha...
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

Quote Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
    In order to beat the ban going into effect, does anyone know a good, reputable gun dealer to get an AR15 from?
    I think Specialty Sports in Colorado Springs still has them. Sportsman's Warehouse(here in the Springs and from what I've heard in Denver) are pretty much back ordered on them.

Only problem is now that people are facing is the prices going up everyday for AR's and AK's. As far as I know Specialty hasn't had an AK47 for awhile now. But prices are going up and people are still buying them.

I kind of feel fortunate now because I paid less then $900 for mine early last year. But if you look they are still around. I think you can still snag a base model Bushmaster for about $1000.

P.S.
    If you're looking for a nice Barrett .50BMG, Sportsman's Warehouse has one. For a cool $3500 if I remember right.
    Last edited by The Black Knight; Thu Feb 26th, 2009 at 09:26 PM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

Right-Wing Nut-Job DavidofColorado's Avatar

I just sold my Glock to pay some bills. I feel like I lost a child. But I did get a nice price for it.

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Mexican government officials have complained that the availability of sophisticated guns from the United States have emboldened drug traffickers to fight over access routes into the U.S.
    Yeah, and the news video they showed on it last night (I suppose to conjure fear in the hearts of the good people) made special note of the AK-47. The most simplistic, widely-reproduced, so-easy-a-9-year-old-can-kill-with-it-and-often-does-in-Darfur, unbreakable, works in every condition weapon ever built.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
    Check out gunbroker.com - sorta like an eBay for firearms and related parts. You can find almost anything on there, and at actually reasonable prices (for now). I'm not really an AR guy, but I wouldn't mind a DPMS .308. That can be had on gb for about $800 (or buy a lower for $380 or so and build your own from there).

P.S.
    If you're looking for a nice Barrett .50BMG, Sportsman's Warehouse has one. For a cool $3500 if I remember right.
    WTF are you serious? That's an $8K gun. I really don't know what I'd do with it other than shoot zombies from 1000 yards, but man that would be awesome to have.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    WTF are you serious? That's an $8K gun. I really don't know what I'd do with it other than shoot zombies from 1000 yards, but man that would be awesome to have.
    It's just the single shot version barrett. Not the semi-auto model. I can't think of what Barrett calls the single shot model(funny thing is American Rifleman showcased it on their show this past Wednesday night on The Outdoor Channel). It's like the Armalite model as well, both single shot bolt action. I think it's Model 82, I know the new .416 Barrett is the Model 99. Now that's a sweet round.
    Last edited by The Black Knight; Fri Feb 27th, 2009 at 05:29 AM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

Jensen Arms in loveland still has AR-15s and some FALs. Very good prices even with this run on guns.

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter t_jolt's Avatar

I know the new .416 Barrett is the Model 99. Now that's a sweet round.
    Damn right, Grants an (easy) extra 300 yards plus 200 fps

yum
    Mitsujagvettecedes 1000RXTS GTR

Hand built by Jerry Garcia, Dan Gurney, Chuck Norris and Duntov's ghost. GT97 turbo,
    8WD, berilium pistons, titanium rods, unobtanium crank. Block forged from the dead souls of Mongol warriors. Depleted Uranium Dog box, Flubber tires, and stage 87 axles.

-1.07 @5.7c

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

It's just the single shot version barrett. Not the semi-auto model. I can't think of what Barrett calls the single shot model(funny thing is American Rifleman showcased it on their show this past Wednesday night on The Outdoor Channel). It's like the Armalite model as well, both single shot bolt action. I think it's Model 82, I know the new .416 Barrett is the Model 99. Now that's a sweet round.
    Ah. Of course if it's single shot, it probably won't be banned.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

www.model1sales.com for all your AR-15 needs Looks like I need to call them back here
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

Resident Hater Site Admin Canuck's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doron&Katie View Post
    Jensen Arms in loveland still has AR-15s and some FALs. Very good prices even with this run on guns.
    +1 for Jensen. Great group to deal with.
    RIP Gene. You are a good friend that will be missed. I'm Gene Bazyl Bitch!!

It was quite amusing to hear that this 'ban' was brought on by the fear of the drug cartels in Mexico. Do they even think we are paying attention anymore?? Or do they just dont care?

Any ban on scary weapons will do ZERO to stop the drug cartels in Mexico.

Does anyone else find it quite ironic that rather then reform the 'war on drugs', they would rather further erode our rights to stop the drug trade. Because they have been so sucessful in the past what 30 years or so.

Further proof that the Obama administration never had any serious plans to reform the drug war, it was all just bullshit to get the young people to vote for him.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Yellow/Black '08 1000RR
    Yellow/Black '00 929
    Red/White '00 929
    On a one man crusade to save the 929 from extinction one bike at a time.

none of this is a surprise to me.

I have my "little friend" on order right now ETA March 9th.....
    Muuuuuuuu Haaaaaaa Ha ha!!!!!!!!

But I still have to procure ammo....that is becoming an issue

I need 7.62x39 Any ideas for local purchase?
    http://www.rapidfirebunker.com
    $15 FFL TRANSFERS. $15 Private Transfers
    Emergency Preparedness Store, Survival BULK Food, knives, Guns, Ammo, FREEDOM

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter Shea's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kanabiis View Post
    Further proof that the Obama administration never had any serious plans to reform the drug war, it was all just bullshit to get the young people to vote for him.
    You mean "change" was just a ploy to get people to vote for him? Say it ain't so!

It is becoming rapidly evident that this guy is willing to say anything and do the complete opposite. And people just eat it up. Amazing...
    Shea
    Now bikeless...

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    THERE IS NO TIME FOR RATIONAL SOLUTIONS!
    WE HAVE TO TAKE DRASTIC IRRATIONAL MEASURES NOW!
    LIVES ARE IN DANGER!

“As president, Barack Obama would repeal the Tiahrt Amendment, which restricts the ability of local law enforcement to access important gun trace information, and give police officers across the nation the tools they need to solve gun crimes and fight the illegal arms trade”

“The Tiahrt Amendment, which prohibits the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) from releasing information from its firearms trace database to anyone other than a law enforcement agency or prosecutor in connection with a criminal investigation. Additionally, any data so released is inadmissible in a civil lawsuit.”

Now this doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me. The opposition seems to be coming from mayors and state officials wanting access to this information for statistical research.

There is something to be said about the freedom of information that the government holds. After all vehicle and real state are accessible information. Why should infromation on gun ownership be any different? I mean how many here have openly told a public internet forum exactly what they have?

“They also support making the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent, as such weapons belong on foreign battlefields and not on our streets.”

I never liked the Federal Assault Weapons Ban because there was no clear definition of what an assault weapon was. Trying to list them as they did was useless because the manufactures simply changed the weapons names and their appearance. And with the pre-ban clause you could still buy whatever you wanted as long as it wasn’t manufactured before the ban date. Which in effect nullified the ban. It was simply a ban piece of legislation.
    Last edited by Snowman; Fri Feb 27th, 2009 at 10:14 AM.

MRA Racer No.427

7.62x39 is always hard to find compared to 7.62x51.

I gave up long ago buying ammo locally.

www.cheaperthandirt.com has great prices, you can get anything you want pretty much in bulk and they ship fast. I usually stock up for a few months worth of shooting then reorder when I'm running low.

I've often considered reloading, but I don't shoot THAT much...
    Yellow/Black '08 1000RR
    Yellow/Black '00 929
    Red/White '00 929

... I'm not really an AR guy, but I wouldn't mind a DPMS .308. That can be had on gb for about $800 (or buy a lower for $380 or so and build your own from there).
    I have one of those. I can't believe they are down to $800!! I should get another!! By far my favorite!

The Barrett I'm looking at is $5,500 with the five round mag. I don't think I've ever seen one at $8,000. The one at Sportsman is a five round also, I thought, and it's $4,500.

I probably won't get it though. They are only to be shot right handed and I'm a lefty...
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter Shea's Avatar

Used to dig Cheaper until they jacked up their prices on mags. You can get AR-15 magazines for about half of what they gouge for. Also, $1020 for 1000 rounds of 5.56? Really?
    Shea
    Now bikeless...

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    THERE IS NO TIME FOR RATIONAL SOLUTIONS!
    WE HAVE TO TAKE DRASTIC IRRATIONAL MEASURES NOW!
    LIVES ARE IN DANGER!

Ah. Of course if it's single shot, it probably won't be banned.
    That's correct...
    Unless you're in CA. CA is sooo screwed up with their abuse of the people.
    The SPIRIT of the second amendment has been violated. The laws exist to keep the citizens in line, but the second amendment exists to keep the lawmakers in line. The idea behind the 2A is that government can be out-gunned by the citizenry because they are outnumbered by the citizenry. Unfortunately, our founding fathers did not have the foresight to see a coming day when the government would prohibit the citizenry from "keeping and bearing" CURRENT "arms" technology. Through regulation they have effectively relegated the armed citizenry into the defensive dark ages. They are keeping the "letter" of the law, but violating the intent. Yes, we can keep and bear arms, but we can only keep them if they are old technology and we can only bear them if they are unloaded and properly stored.

The fact is that the government, although greatly outnumbered by the population in general, possesses an infinitely greater amount of firepower. The only reason the towel-heads have been able to resist against our military (at great human cost) is the lack of sufficient surveillance in the middle-eastern wilderness. This surveillance will be completely in place before the US citizenry even begins to organize any sort of militia rebellion. With unlimited surveillance and unlimited firepower we will not be able to resist -- we will not be able to keep the lawmakers in line.

PS - This is why the best civilian technology on the market today is semi-automatic milsurp that is 50+ years old -- and make sure the barrel isn't less than 16" -- we don't want you hiding it.
    I liked this post on a different forum & wanted to share it with ya.

If our government (we) treated people as if they were aught to be & this would help them become what they (We The People) are capable of being. The awareness would share more kindness/compassion for the betterment of all. (The Goal)

Instead, some people enjoy suckling the gov't tit and therefore support the gov't because the gov't supports their irresponsible habits. A unhealthy cycle, no doubt.

Gangs don't invest in machine guns. If the so-called 'war on drugs' ended (see www.leap.cc) the gov't could make a profit with mary-j and all other stuff that most people won't use. War lords wouldn't have much of a biz in America anymore. The recession/depression would affect the unlicensed drug manufactures and quality/safety would potentially go up.

American Gov't motto: Gain their trust, gain their support to gain control of them.
    It works! Slow in, Fast out
    "Sarcasm is difficult to convey on the internet, especially if the people reading it don't know you personally". By Spiderman
    Neither irony nor sarcasm is argument. By Rufus Choate
    Be smart, be nice, do what'cha love and always have fun.
    Let food be your medicine, and medicine be your food. - Hippocrates
    I will use treatment to help the sick. I will never use it to injure them or wrong them. I will not give poison to anyone. - The Hippocratic Oath

I never liked the assault weapons ban because it had ZERO impact on crime and 100% impact on law abiding citizens.

The assault weapons ban focused on scary looking attachments and stocks, simply because of 2 high profile crimes, both in California, and both such rare circumstances that they became national headlines, but were in reality so far from the norm in terms of crime that it was simply grandstanding to even write legislature as a knee-jerk response.

The truth is, if they were at all interested in detering true street crime commited by firearms handguns would be the logical target. Handguns are by far and large the most used to commit crimes. Sure every once in a while someone uses an AK-47 or SKS, and boy do we hear about it for weeks, but a when a crime with a handgun is commited its just a footnote in the news article because it happens so much.

I'm not one for banning of anything mind you, I am simply stating a fact that is quite impossible for me to overlook when I watch our 'leaders' get involved in stupid shit like this. When they talk about fighting crime and saving lives, I alway ask, if you are interested in saving lives, why are you restricting the weapons that are involed the least in taking a life?

The truth is, the Government wants to restrict your ability to fight back. I know its all tin-foil hippie talk, but its the truth. Restricting ownership and possesion of near mil-grade weaponry and ammo is the true goal. It is difficult to fight an army with shotguns and pistols.

For further proof of this is the 'class 3' fireams restrictions. Did you know that 'class ' firearms use in crimes and killing is so rare that the DOJ doesn't even track it? Since the National Firearms act in 1939 only 2 murders have been commited with a 'class 3' firearm, and one was by a police officer.

Before you start screaming 'North Hollywood bank robbery', those AKs were illegally modifed to fire full auto, they were illegal with or without the NFA. So is ask yourself, why
    would they focus so much attention and legislature on the weapons used the least in crime.
    Yellow/Black '08 1000RR
    Yellow/Black '00 929
    Red/White '00 929