Thread: OSHA Attack on Ammunition Manufactures

OSHA Attack on Ammunition Manufactures

Got this from another forum,

Now without reading the whole thing from OSHA, this is the proposal that I remember hearing that had some clauses written into it. That would cripple firearms companies via rules and regulations. One in specific was their thunderstorm rule. And I'm not going to take the time to read the whole thing tonight to find it, but I remember hearing that if there was a thunderstorm within a certain mile vicinity of a ammo manufacturing plant. That the plant had to evacuate due to a possible lightning strike. I mean seriously?? That's ridiculous.

But oh well, we'll see how this one pans out. Again here's another backdoor attempt. They know they can't get the guns, so they're after the ammo. This also has a big impact on reloaders as well from what I gather. And as I just joined the vast legion of reloaders, this pisses me off.

OSHA Attack on Ammunition Manufactures
    New regulations could cause ammunition costs to skyrocket. OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Act - administered by the Dept. of Labor) regulates worker safety in almost all businesses in the United States. As a regulator, they pretty much get to make up the rules as they please. New rules are not voted on by congress.

Please read the article below and write to the US Dept. of Labor to request an extension of the public comment period to allow manufacturers and others to try to get OSHA to change the proposed language. See the links at the bottom of my post for a template. The article urges "retailers" to write, but I think that we all should.

From the National Shooting Sports Foundation: http://www.nssf.org/news/PR_idx.cfm?...R=BP070207.cfm
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Proposed OSHA Regulation Threatens Firearm and Ammunition Industry

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), the government agency charged with assuring the safety and health of America's workers, is proposing a regulatory rule [ http://www.nssf.org/share/PDF/FedReg041307.pdf ] affecting the manufacturing, transportation and storage of small arms ammunition, primers and smokeless propellants.

As written, the proposed rule would force the closure of nearly all ammunition manufacturers and force the cost of small arms ammunition to skyrocket beyond what the market could bear—essentially collapsing our industry. This is not an exaggeration. The cost to comply with the proposed rule for the ammunition industry, including manufacturer, wholesale distributors and retailers, will be massive and easily exceed $100 million. For example, ammunition and smokeless propellant manufacturers would have to shut down and evacuate a factory when a thunderstorm approached and customers would not be allowed within 50 feet of any ammunition (displayed or otherwise stored) without first being searched for matches or lighters.

NSSF and SAAMI have already had a preliminary meeting with OSHA officials to begin the process of explaining to them the major problems this proposed rule presents for all levels of the firearms and ammunition industry. Furthermore, NSSF and SAAMI are each seeking a 60 day extension of the public comment period (currently scheduled to expire July 12).

NSSF is urging all retailers to contact OSHA directly and request a 60-day extension of the public comment period. Retailers should inform OSHA that the proposed rule constitutes a "significant regulatory action" as defined in Executive Order 12866 (1993) Section 3(f)(1) in that it will clearly "adversely affect in a material way" the retail sector of the firearms and ammunition industry, productivity, competition and jobs and that the annual compliance cost for all retailers of ammunition will far exceed $100 million dollars.

Click here [ http://www.nssf.org/share/docs/BP070207-OSHAletter.rtf ] for a template letter. If you choose to draft your own letter, the reference line must read as follows:

RE: Docket No. OSHA–2007–0032
    Request to Extend Public Comment Period and Request for Hearing on "Significant Regulatory Action" as Defined in Executive Order 12866

Please fax the letter to: 202-693-1648 (include the docket number and Department of Labor/OSHA on the cover sheet and in the reference section of your letter).

OR

Please e-mail the letter by visiting: http://www.regulations.gov and following the submission instructions.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Re: OSHA Attack on Ammunition Manufactures

Speaking of ammo. I've got a friend who is slowly starting up a business to make is own ammo and sell it. While hes got a long way to go, he told me that he is willing to make ammo for locals to help get the start-up money. Apparently he has a lot of the equipment, but I'll get more details from him and post up something else with types that he can make and how to get a hold of him etc.

Speaking of OSHA. They tell astronomers that being in a telescope dome without lights is a safety hazard. According to them, even red lights are not enough. So whats the point of telescopes anymore if the room they sit in is filled with polluting light? I hate OSHA.

AKA "Devaclis"

It was an attack? how many injuries? Any assault charges being filed? What kind of ammo did they use? Was the news called? Will there be a victims assistance fund and counseling organized?
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    It was an attack? how many injuries? Any assault charges being filed? What kind of ammo did they use? Was the news called? Will there be a victims assistance fund and counseling organized?
    HAHA hey don't look at me, it's the title of the article on the other forum I got it from. I'm just reposting verbatim.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

AKA "Devaclis"

THey exaggerate as much as I do! Well, maybe not as much, but close
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Quote Originally Posted by XJ600s View Post
    Speaking of ammo. I've got a friend who is slowly starting up a business to make is own ammo and sell it. While hes got a long way to go, he told me that he is willing to make ammo for locals to help get the start-up money. Apparently he has a lot of the equipment, but I'll get more details from him and post up something else with types that he can make and how to get a hold of him etc.

Speaking of OSHA. They tell astronomers that being in a telescope dome without lights is a safety hazard. According to them, even red lights are not enough. So whats the point of telescopes anymore if the room they sit in is filled with polluting light? I hate OSHA.
    Tel your friend he needs a big 'ol insurance policy in case he serves up a faulty round.
    "That which does not kill you only postpones the inevitable."

The date on the .pdf is April of 07. If I remember right, they got a LOT of response to this. It was delayed and held open to public input until late that summer.

A quick search doesn't yield any finite conclusion, but it appears to be long dead.

It wasn't just manufacturers, but also retailers. The idea that it would press gunshops/walmart/gander to either stop selling ammo, or comply to the same lightning storm rules. While a trip to the local shop may look like they don't sell ammo anymore, it's just that they can't keep it in stock.

OSHA has probably done more to screw over industry and send jobs overseas than any other cause out there.

What forum are you getting this from? Seems like most of the things you post are outdated. Not a slight, just an observation. Maybe that's better than 15 separate "OMG gun confiscation, AWB, FEMA camps" threads a day on some of the others. (insert tin foil hat smiley here)

Quote Originally Posted by kidicarus13 View Post
    Tel your friend he needs a big 'ol insurance policy in case he serves up a faulty round.
    He's already working on the logistical paperwork for it, that's his major hold-up (well that and class as he's devoting more time to class) but he hopes to have things up and running by the end of the summer as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    The date on the .pdf is April of 07. If I remember right, they got a LOT of response to this. It was delayed and held open to public input until late that summer.

A quick search doesn't yield any finite conclusion, but it appears to be long dead.

It wasn't just manufacturers, but also retailers. The idea that it would press gunshops/walmart/gander to either stop selling ammo, or comply to the same lightning storm rules. While a trip to the local shop may look like they don't sell ammo anymore, it's just that they can't keep it in stock.

OSHA has probably done more to screw over industry and send jobs overseas than any other cause out there.

What forum are you getting this from? Seems like most of the things you post are outdated. Not a slight, just an observation. Maybe that's better than 15 separate "OMG gun confiscation, AWB, FEMA camps" threads a day on some of the others. (insert tin foil hat smiley here)
    www.taurusarmed.net Forums and most of the stuff is posted in their political section of their forums. Alot of this kind of threads are usually thrown up by the mods in charge of the political section. So I just bring it over here for others to read.

But since everything is out of date. I'll just refrain from bringing over discussions from other forums. Figured some might enjoy reading up on some of this stuff.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

Check out http://www.rmgo.org/
    It's a pretty kick butt site that has A LOT of info on local and national laws as well as all the back-door shenanigans that Obama and his crew are trying to pull over on the American people.
    "Leze Le Bon Temps Roulet"
    Let The Good Times Roll!!

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter Shea's Avatar

Nice to see Lou Dobbs take him to task and say he is completely without basis for his comments.
    Shea
    Now bikeless...

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    THERE IS NO TIME FOR RATIONAL SOLUTIONS!
    WE HAVE TO TAKE DRASTIC IRRATIONAL MEASURES NOW!
    LIVES ARE IN DANGER!

Somewhere in the south suburbia of sprawl.

I'm sorry but I dealt with RMGO when I was running for office...

While SOME of their members are good folk... very well informed and truly understanding of the way the law of this country works...

SOME of their membership - often the more vocal members - are more of the freaking fringe mindset who - IMO - border on anarchists looking if not hoping for a fire fight with the law so they can commit - IMO - cop suicide and make martyrs of themselves for their "cause".

I take my 2nd Amendment rights very seriously - but likewise - I also understand that the current situation this country is in around the "gun issue" has been created by compounded laws on top of compounded laws dating back to the 30s if not before.

To bitch and moan is one thing... to bitch and moan to stop a possible restrictive proposal from being ratified I get...

But to listen to some of the RMGO... they believe they can rewind the clock of time through bitching back to pre-1933... let anyone and everyone be able to own Tommy Guns and such without paperwork or process... and be able to buy them at your local Woolworth store or catalog mail order processing.

I'm sorry but the world had changed since 1933.

A LOT.

Yes there are more dangerous people out there now than ever before and we should have EVERY right to defend ourselves and our own AND our property accordingly... But as an intelligent society with the technology and capacity to do things like instant background checks... and dare I say possibly even instant fingerprint checks... I think there are reasonable things we can do to make this world safer for both those of us that are law abiding and country loving citizens... and help stop those who are not from acquiring guns illegally.

The problem is --- how do we do it responsibly --- and non-intrusively to those of us that ARE law abiding and country loving?

THAT is the question that I have never heard anyone who claims to represent the RMGO answer intelligently... and THAT is why I have a problem with them as an organization... but not necessarily its individual membership once I've spoken with them 1:1.
    ...Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

Current Ride: 2005 Ducati ST3

Well, I see a lot of people "dance" around the 2nd amendment rights and say that we should be able to own guns but we don't need to own certain other guns. Either you have the rights or not, not just some of the time under certain circumstances. I see where you are coming from about extremest types but name a cause that doesn't have them. The opposition DEFINITELY has them and uses them and they are winning. Sometime extreme circumstances call for extreme measures. I'm not talking bout getting all Militia, but you can't pussy-foot around this kind of issue. You're either sitting or standing. That's the way I see it, anyway.

There certainly is a difference between 1933 (hell 1787) and today. When the Constitution was written what was the height of weapon technology? A muzzle loading flintlock? 2-3 rounds per minute, if you were lucky and good. Fast forward to today and I can wield an M249 and crank out 750 rds per minute, with much better range and accuracy then 375 minutemen.

So do we allow fully automatic weapons in public? How about crew served weapons? How about Mk19 automatic 40mm grenade launchers? What about anti-aircraft missiles, anti-tank weapons, artillery pieces, low yield nuc-ular weapons? What constitutes an "arm"?

If the purpose of the 2nd Amendment was to protect the citizens from the gross excesses of a government, should we not have access to those same weapons that would oppose us? Personally I would have no problem with that if the bulk of humanity was rational and mature. Unfortunately they aren't, have never been and probably will never be.

So, we are left with making reasonable (and yes, that is a moving target) restrictions on what we should be allowed to bear in defense of life, liberty and property.
    Shea
    Now bikeless...

LIVES ARE IN DANGER!

Dwelling on this stuff will make you nuts.

you do realize this is only a one of the red herrings (abortion, religion, 2nd amendment, Iraq, 911) they use to diverting our very short attention spans from the fact they are prison style Gang raping the economy.
    http://www.rapidfirebunker.com
    $15 FFL TRANSFERS. $15 Private Transfers
    Emergency Preparedness Store, Survival BULK Food, knives, Guns, Ammo, FREEDOM

Quote Originally Posted by puckstr View Post
    you do realize this is only a one of the red herrings (abortion, religion, 2nd amendment, Iraq, 911) they use to diverting our very short attention spans from the fact they are prison style Gang raping the economy.
    If it's from a place of love does it really count as rape?
    Shea
    Now bikeless...

LIVES ARE IN DANGER!

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxerk2 View Post
    a reach around would help
    http://www.rapidfirebunker.com
    $15 FFL TRANSFERS. $15 Private Transfers
    Emergency Preparedness Store, Survival BULK Food, knives, Guns, Ammo, FREEDOM

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxerk2 View Post
    LOL!!! That's funny!

I think there is a definite difference between full and semi-auto weapons and there should be a difference in qualifications for public ownership. So, I guess that's the line I draw. And then if you really want them, you go to the trouble of getting those qualifications.

And it's not a waist of time to worry about a right, because every one of them that is taken away, makes the next that much easier to nab.....

Good thing I am reloading again........

There's no place like home............