Thread: Which On/Off road Bike Recommendation??

CSC co-founder

Which On/Off road Bike Recommendation??

So wanting to get another bike. Something that I can take off-road & a minimum of fire road accessible. I still want to have it street legal & a 1/2 ass'd descent road ride. Don't want to spend a fortune either.

The KLR 650 comes to mind... any other ideas? I have an R1 so I'm used to power. I'm 6'1" & 230lbs.

I really need something I can take up to the hills where it's not 120 degrees & unwind a bit.
    PHX, AZ

Re: Which On/Off road Bike Recommendation??

KLR650 is the claw hammer of motorcycles, meaning it will do almost everything, but isn't necessarily the best tool for the job. Along the same lines, you might look at the DRZ400(better off road, not as good on the highway), BMWF650GS (much like a KLR, but with more ponies), DR650S, or KTM 640 Adventure (Better than the KLR in almost every way, but expensive and has a sky high seat, ask Rybo). Others might include the VStrom, Older Transalp, or XR650L.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

ktm 690 enduro...badazz

XR650R... and yes this one was street legal... I really wish I had kept it.

Also it's the king of Baja.

Don't nail me to the wall if I'm completely off on this one guys...but isn't the Versys supposed to be fairly good for this too? Obviously you'd wanna change your tires if you're gonna be off road a lot... I've not had the chance to ride one myself yet, but I do keep hearing good things about it.
    ~Jess~
    2010 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
    2008 Kawi GREEN Ninja 650R

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    Sometimes things happen beyond our power and we can't make it. Like...your brake lines "accidentally" get cut, or a nice man comes through your window in the middle of the night and politely suggests you withdraw from the activity...who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Medicjess View Post
    Don't nail me to the wall if I'm completely off on this one guys...but isn't the Versys supposed to be fairly good for this too? Obviously you'd wanna change your tires if you're gonna be off road a lot... I've not had the chance to ride one myself yet, but I do keep hearing good things about it.
    The Versys is strictly a road bike. With less than 6" of both front and rear suspension travel, it wouldn't be a very fun ride on dirt.
    2005 Yamaha YZF-R6 (SOLD)
    2013 Yamaha FZ6R
    Stupidity should be painful.

It's fine for dirt roads. I'm planning on a SM bike for the same thing.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Second the Supermoto

Aurora Honda had a couple of used 650s the last time I was there...
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Vess View Post
    The Versys is strictly a road bike. With less than 6" of both front and rear suspension travel, it wouldn't be a very fun ride on dirt.
    Really??? I thought they were being marketed more as a dual purpose? hmm...
    ~Jess~
    2010 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
    2008 Kawi GREEN Ninja 650R

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    Sometimes things happen beyond our power and we can't make it. Like...your brake lines "accidentally" get cut, or a nice man comes through your window in the middle of the night and politely suggests you withdraw from the activity...who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Medicjess View Post
    Really??? I thought they were being marketed more as a dual purpose? hmm...
    On Kawasaki's website the Versys is listed in the same section as the Ninja 650R - the "Sport" section.

http://www.kawasaki.com/home/
    2005 Yamaha YZF-R6 (SOLD)
    2013 Yamaha FZ6R
    Stupidity should be painful.

How off road do you want to go? Gravel roads or 6-inch rocks and logs?

What's your budget?

Is there a chance you get that strange disease that causes adventure riders to up and ride to Patagonia? Like this SgtMarty guy.(From here in CO.)

If you're going to ride somewhere like Mexico, get something cheap and common like a KLR or DR 650. If you break down and need a part there's tons more Kaw and Suzuki dealers in Mexico than BMW motorcycle or KTM. KLRs also have forums full of people glad to help with mods and questions.

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Had the KTM for a little while and while it was a better performing bike it had some serious drawbacks as a daily rider.

1) Oil filters are bloody expensive for the thing and it takes 2 of them! The austrians like their oil CLEAN, but at a cost. Also it had a relatively small oil quantity, so oil changes were frequent.

2) parts were not super easy to find, or cheap. I got the bike used and did some work to make it better. I should be used to it, owning a ducati and all, but the KTM parts were even MORE expensive than the duc parts.

3) Sky high seat. An oxygen mask should be standard on one of these.

I eventually caved and sold it to buy a DR650. While it's not as good in terms of ultimate performance, it's good enough and it's become my daily rider.

Doing it over, I'd consider my primary mission more carefully. If I was really serious about adventure RACING I think the KTM would be hard to beat. Light, powerful, pretty much a purpose built machine. My mission is more mundane. The occasional adventure tour, some gravel roads and daily commuting. The suzuki is a better fit for me. The KLR or the XR are equally good choices. The KLR is pretty much the textbook all arounder. The XR a bit more off road focused. I like the DR a lot because of it's simplicity. With good tires on it it actually handles pretty well too!

have fun

CSC co-founder

Thanks for everyone's input! I really just want to trailer it up out of hell & somewhere more cooler. Then to ride it down the road to the next trail or into town for some grub & gas. Probably a little more than fire road access, but not doing any jumps!!!!

Thanks
    PHX, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by Dietrich_R1 View Post
    Probably a little more than fire road access, but not doing any jumps!!!!

Thanks
    KLR/DR/XRL is going to be your best bet IMHO for the kind of riding you want, and i made that assumption by you saying you wanted to trailer it up and then hit a bit more than fireroads but staying off the jumps.

in order of dirt worthiness, honda XR650L/suzuki DR650/Kawasaki KLR650, you can just reverse that order for street worthiness IMHO.... I have a DR650 and love it... probably push it more than i should on single tracks, but im def not flying thru the air on it....

06 DR650SE

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Agreed with Rybo/Phloater (Rybo's DR used to be mine). For your purposes I'd just get one of those. They're cheap, simple, reliable, and will be more than capable of everything you want.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

CSC co-founder

Ran to the closest Honda Shop near work & sat on the XR650L. I was impressed on how big it is & for me that's a nice feature.

Sticker on it is $6K. Asked the salesperson "rough" numbers & he said "about the same out the door w the current deals".

Anyone know what I should expect to pay for it?????

Thanks,
    John
    PHX, AZ

Love my DR400. Cheap, capable, dead nuts reliable, good commuter bike, but top speed of 65
    GSXRScott made me follow him into that corner,...down that hill...there was the time up that washout...crankcase alley...man I gotta stop following him.
    Quote Originally Posted by PharmerKyle View Post
    ...I knew all too well what would happen if the old guy on the Beemer took the lead...