Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How do I convince a friend NOT to get a 1000 for a first bike?

How do I convince a friend NOT to get a 1000 for a first bike?

He wants a sportbike, and I am fully confidant that he would be fine on a 600, but I don't think he fully comprehends the power difference between a 600 and a 1000.

He found a pretty good deal on a 1000, so how do I convince him that the good deal is not worth it?
    Nathaniel
    13 DRZ400SM (mine) -- 08 CBR 600RR (wife's) -- 06 GSX-R 600 (sold)
    I don't always test my code, but when I do, I do it in production.

Re: How do I convince a friend NOT to get a 1000 for a first bike?

Don't. Let him do it and just tell him to seriously be careful. I still wish I started on a 1000.

If it's that important to you, let him ride your 600 for awhile.
    "6 pairs of kicks is my definition of 12 steps"

The thing is, if he crashes and hurts himself just once, it will F up his life (don't ask me how, just take my word)...
    Nathaniel

This is the best compromise I could justify when I was going to do it:

Get a 1000 with the Suzuki Drive Mode Selector (S-DMS). From what I hear there is a 50 whp difference between the two extreme modes. Tell him to keep it in the C mode until he proves himself to be a worthy rider.

Is this guy going to track the bike or just straight line fly on it?

right now he's looking at an 01 gsxr 1k, so no DMS...

I think he'll mainly ride street and canyons
    Nathaniel

Have him watch this video of a poor bastard that got a 1000, tried to keep up with his duchebag friend, who was trying to show off, crashed and is now paralyzed. The guy had no experience and not a very good teacher, apparently. I personally know guys that started on 1000s, with MotoX experience, and ended up fine, but there are waaayyyyy more that have been scraped up with a shovel to be put into multiple bags....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfD-W82NmE0

I hope these vids open his eyes! I know that everyone has their own opinion, and most guys don't want to look like pussies(no offence to all you pussies out there, no, just kidding)by riding what their duchebag friends would call a "girl's bike" no offence to all you girls, that might pass me in the curves . But, a smaller bike(250, 500) would actually be waayyy better. Most guys, including myself didn't want to go that route. I started on a 95 600 and was super thankful that it was as forgiving as it was cuz if it were a 1K, I'da crashed hard a couple of times.

This is a thread from 1000RR.net, which is full of riders, and track racers, REALLY experienced riders! It's a discussion on the vid above and on newbies getting 1Ks. http://www.1000rr.net/forums/showthr...ighlight=crash I don't think you need to be a member to view the threads.

Good Luck!!
    Last edited by RajunCajun; Wed Mar 11th, 2009 at 12:36 AM.
    "Leze Le Bon Temps Roulet"
    Let The Good Times Roll!!

Every new rider says they won't twist the throttle and get over-cocky with how a motorcycle handles. Almost every young new rider does though, no matter what your first bike is. That is, until you learn to control the throttle and realize that you are cooler than everyone else just because you are on a motorcycle, not because you can accelerate stupid fast.

A good friend of mine, 5'4" and maybe 140lbs got a 2003 F4i as his first bike. Me and another friend warned him not to, because he always has had the attitude that he has to make up for his size. Ended up trying to keep up with a friend in the canyons, didn't know how to control the bike in hard sharp turns going fast and ended up low siding. Granted there was a nice pullout right there, he still got really banged up. He figured he could have kept up just because he had the power.

It's the type of thing that you hope they understand the power of a modern motorcycle and respect it. Tell him that if he can't pay for the entire year's insurance at full coverage in one payment on that bike, he shouldn't get it. Assuming he is under 25 and its his first bike, it should be well over $2000, as when I was pricing out an 00-03 R6, it was coming up at about $1400 through multiple agencies, granted I wanted full coverage and not the bare minimum in CO (which I believe is like $25k). Oh, and I'm 23, been riding for 1.5 years now and my rate dropped only like $20 when I renewed my insurance. But thats $20 on a full coverage policy through Progressive for $200 with a Sport Touring Seca2 599cc bike.
    Last edited by XJ600s; Wed Mar 11th, 2009 at 07:39 AM.

Wow RajunCajun. That really sucks.

think of it thise way, back in the 80s the "big bikes" back then went as fast as the 600s today, and the guys that rode those "big bikes" were pros.

on todays bikes, either 160 or 200mph into a wall, you still gon die.

VANMAR!!!!
    Bridgestone Tires
    www.fastermotorsports.net
    www.youngbloodracing.com
    www.chicanetrackdays.com

Erik Cromer |MRA #611

Quote Originally Posted by XJ600s View Post
    Every new rider says they won't twist the throttle and get over-cocky with how a motorcycle handles. Everyone does though, no matter what your first bike is. That is, until you learn to control the throttle and realize that you are cooler than everyone else just because you are on a motorcycle, not because you can accelerate stupid fast.
    I can honestly say I never went wide open on the throttle for a long while with my first bike which was a 636. I think I was pretty damn responsible with the power and I knew the consequences. However, I do agree that most people, especially younger guys around my age, tend to be complete idiots on their bikes.

For someone who has NEVER ridden anything before, he might as well write up a nice will as a liter bike is literally suicide.

Funny how when I park my bike on campus, almost every rocket I park next to has something wrong with it. I rarely ever see a bike without a crack or rash on the fairings.
    -Greg
    2013 BMW R1200GS

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

How old is this guy? Like XJ600 stated, insurance can be a complete bitch for anyone young or with a bad driving record, thanks to the thousands of other people who were young or had bad records that went and got 1000's cause it was the badass-est thing out there, and wadded it up into a ball. Have him price that out before buying the bike and see where he stands.

Quote Originally Posted by thatmofo View Post
    I still wish I started on a 1000.
    Out of curiosity, why? Other than straight line speed (and even then, only after a certain point) and wheelie-monster antics, I know many, many people who will flat out spank liter bikes on 600's in canyons and other places. Power does not necessarily equal speed.

I'm glad I started on a 600. I had poor impulse control for a little while as it was, and I'd have just wound up dead on a liter. I'm quite certain of that.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

AKA "Devaclis"

If you cannot have a serious discussion with him about this, you cannot help him make the right choice, period.

If he your friend, and you can communicate without all the macho bullshit, then he should at least hear you out, listen to your concerns and advice, and think about it. Most people will do what they want any way. It is part of their douchebaggery. If he DOES get a liter bike, kick it over break something on it. something that will either break so he cannot rider it or something important enough to end your friendship.

/igivebadadvice
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

He's 21
    Nathaniel

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

21 almost always = stupid-expensive insurance on liter bikes. There's a very strong statistical reason for that. I'm guessing that unless he already makes fat coin or has mom/dad footing the bill, that will be a no-go decision for him.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

AKA "Devaclis"

Start out by asking him if you can have his stuff when he dies and then make him put it in writing and get it notarized.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Well I suggest have him read this its a real comparison and it lets you know that the liter bike isnt all its creaked up to be.

http://www.superstreetbike.com/roadt...x10/index.html
    R.I.P. Lahela 10/12/1986-08/01/2008

Want to become a super hero? http://www.donoralliance.org/info-page-1

"I don't fail I just succeed at finding ways that don't work."
    Chris Titus

CSC Spelling Bee Champ 2008 and 2009

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

I've had a 1000 for a couple years, I'm getting rid of it to move back down to a 600. First off his insurance is going to be outrageous, second he'll never even get close to the potential of a 600. Does he enjoy buying tires? Get ready to spend more $$$ on new tires about every spring, a 190 rear tire is about $50-60 more than a typical 180.

Ultimately some people are going to learn the hard way no matter what you tell them. Hopefully after a little research he will come to his senses.
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

AKA "Devaclis"

David brings up a good point too, riding a 600 here is cheaper. Outside of the financial part, I have found them to be more fun in the canyons just because of their "usable" horsepower range. Now, I am not a great rider, I am not fast, and I have never been on a track. But I have put more miles on my last 2 bikes than some will do in a lifetime. The 600 is a blast in the canyons. a liter bike requires too much babysitting, IMO (don't freak out liter bike peeps). On a 600 I found I could concentrate more on having fun and enjoying the corners and the bike. On a liter I found that I had to watch the throttle, what I gear I was in, RPMs, more than anything else, including the road.

Just my experience, but there is a lot of it.

The only reason I ride a 1000 (which technically isn't a true liter sport bike) is I ride two up a lot. My bike is one of the "slowest" liter bikes on the market and it still has too much power then anyone realistically needs when riding single. If my girl and I had separate bikes they would both be 600's. Personally I like how light the 600s are compared to the 1000s, making them easier to turn in the canyons.

Just explain to him, that skill will always out preforme staight up power.
    "Ride Naked!"
    2007 Yamaha FZ1 (Fazer)
    1984 Kawasaki 250 4-stroke enduro
    1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2L V8 (Gas Whore)

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

^^Funny thing is I've been riding our rental units and actually found myself ENJOYING riding a motorcycle again. I hopped on my ZX10R the other day and found myself scared for the first time in a long time 600's are a blast, much cheaper to maintain, insure, etc. and flat out I just have more fun. There easier to handle and are a lot more forgiving than a liter bike.

I will never own a liter again, modern 600's are more bike than the average rider will ever need...........
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

It really depends on the individual, their level of responsibility and whether or not their self preservation mechanism is intact. Is he in Denver? I know that it's not about wide open throttle for me, it's about the torque and bikes at this altitude don't breathe. He might get bored quick with a 600. I don't necessarily need the power of a litre bike, but I'm glad I upgraded because I can control myself and I have the power that I want.

Leah
    05 Raven R1
    01 YZ250F

Quote Originally Posted by konichd View Post
    ^^Funny thing is I've been riding our rental units and actually found myself ENJOYING riding a motorcycle again. I hopped on my ZX10R the other day and found myself scared for the first time in a long time 600's are a blast, much cheaper to maintain, insure, etc. and flat out I just have more fun. There easier to handle and are a lot more forgiving than a liter bike.

I will never own a liter again, modern 600's are more bike than the average rider will ever need...........
    I was actually going to bring up that point. I leanrd on a FZ6, and never once got "scared of riding" because the bike would not let me get in trouble. It was a very enjoyable power range. That bike had enough power to let you have fun when you wanted, but it would never break the rear tire loose and try and get away from you. My FZ1 on the other hand can get away from you, and I have to be more careful with it. Luckily though, the power band is set up much like a 600, so it is not as bad a true liter bike.
    "Ride Naked!"
    2007 Yamaha FZ1 (Fazer)
    1984 Kawasaki 250 4-stroke enduro
    1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2L V8 (Gas Whore)

I agree with what everybody above is saying. I'm still pretty new to the bike world myself and I'm extremely happy with the 650 I ended up getting. Oddly enough, I had more people trying to talk me into a bigger bike vs smaller. But my bike has been GREAT to learn on and my confidence is building by leaps and bounds every time I get on it.

There are plenty of guys out there on the smaller bikes (as you already know) and they (at least most of 'em) don't have the penis envy issue. In my mind, I'm too busy learning the technical aspects of riding and learning how to read traffic to keep my ass upright on the bike as opposed to eating asphalt to deal with learning a twitchy/super sensitive bike as it is.
    ~Jess~
    2010 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
    2008 Kawi GREEN Ninja 650R

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    Sometimes things happen beyond our power and we can't make it. Like...your brake lines "accidentally" get cut, or a nice man comes through your window in the middle of the night and politely suggests you withdraw from the activity...who knows?

Lots of good info, thanks... I think I have a better idea of how to handle it
    Nathaniel