Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: How do I convince a friend NOT to get a 1000 for a first bike?

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

Re: How do I convince a friend NOT to get a 1000 for a first bike?

Lambeau, is he willing to check with his insurance company today/tomorrow about the rates on the bike?

Maybe it will save both you guys and the seller some wasted time if he chokes on the insurance payments.

Why waste the sellers time if it's not do-able in the first place?
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

AKA "Devaclis"

Quote Originally Posted by 64BonnieLass View Post
    Lambeau, is he willing to check with his insurance company today/tomorrow about the rates on the bike?

Maybe it will save both you guys and the seller some wasted time if he chokes on the insurance payments.

You need to stop being logical right now.

We are trying to have a pointless argument that will result in nothing more than wasted time and a few bruised egos.

Jeez

First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

I'll ask him to, because I know there will be a huge difference between the 1000 and a 600.
    Nathaniel
    13 DRZ400SM (mine) -- 08 CBR 600RR (wife's) -- 06 GSX-R 600 (sold)
    I don't always test my code, but when I do, I do it in production.

Quote Originally Posted by Sortarican View Post
    So no riding experience at all?

Shit then, have him borrow or rent a 1K and come up into the canyons with some of us 600 riders.

If he can keep up on anything besides the straights I'll buy him a liter bike.
    can I get in on that deal????

Quote Originally Posted by Big-J View Post
    Here is a bike he should be starting on, and its even a better deal.

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/1062473938.html
    Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    Maybe true, but I can almost bet the justification changes from economics to some other excuse like looks and power and wanting something more modern.
    That would be great beginner bike, but not the "coolest bike" out there. Although, you do look pretty badass when you pass a liter bike on that thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Craven_Morehead View Post
    Lets get a group ride and all go look at it!
    That's what I did on an old Triumph Daytona I was lookin at. I had 5 of my buds ride down and check it out, and I was the only one that still wanted it after looking,,,, needless to say, I didn't buy the POS.....
    "Leze Le Bon Temps Roulet"
    Let The Good Times Roll!!

Quote Originally Posted by 64BonnieLass View Post

I found out the hard way that even then you have to be careful. Before I bought my bike I was getting quotes that were awesome based on my record, and telling them the bike was an '08 Kawi Ninja 650R. After I bought the bike and supplied them with the VIN tho, it somehow came back classified as a supersport and my insurance like freaking tripled! That happened with every single company too, not just my own.

Long story short... get ins. quotes with a VIN whenever possible!
    ~Jess~
    2010 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
    2008 Kawi GREEN Ninja 650R

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    Sometimes things happen beyond our power and we can't make it. Like...your brake lines "accidentally" get cut, or a nice man comes through your window in the middle of the night and politely suggests you withdraw from the activity...who knows?

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

Jess - have you tried State Farm for insurance ? I can give you my reps name if you're interested.. Got a smokin' deal !
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

http://www.motorcycle-accidents.com/pages/stats.html

23. More than half of the accident-involved motorcycle riders had less than 5 months experience on the accident motorcycle, although the total street riding experience was almost 3 years.

Combine this with 1000cc sportbike and you have the direct explaination for:

19. Motorcycle riders between the ages of 16 and 24 are significantly over-represented in accidents.

I guess I'm on the asshole side of things, I say a squid and 1000cc bike is all the evidence you need of evolution in action.

Plus it makes for cheap spare parts, if anything survives the accident. I find living realatives of dead squids usually let the parts go for really cheap.

Yes, its an asshole thing to say, but you know, I'm kinda tired of squids dying on what should have been a nice enjoyable weekend ride, all because they 'needed' that gixxer1k.

I have witnessed more sportbike accidents then I care to admit, and while some have involved experianced riders that I have rode with for years, that is the exepction rather then the norm.

It is quite a bit more likely that the accident will involve either a rider that a) just showed up over the last few weeks, or b) someones 'friend' borrowing a bike for the day to just 'come along'.

Seat time is the only way to get experiance, period.

The bottom line is this, if you get in trouble with a 600 you *MIGHT* be able to save it, you get in trouble with a 1000, that *MIGHT* turns into with any luck and a prayer.

I do know this, my 08 CBR1000RR is WAY less forgiving then my CBR929 was, its not a lack of experiance saying that, to the contrary, its my experiance that notices it.

In the end your friend will do what he wants, and ONLY with the grace of god and some luck he will make it through his first season without serious injury or death, regardless of the size of bike he owns. This is not opinion but fact, insurance companies spend millions of dollars and hundreds of thousands of man hours charting trends and statistics.

There is a reason why full coverage insurance on a 1000cc bike for a 21 year old will pretty much pay the bike off in 18 months. The insurance company KNOWS that they are likely to have a payout on that policy very soon.

So in the end its not a question of IF, its a question of when.....

There are only 2 kinds of riders, those who have been down, and those that are going down.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Yellow/Black '08 1000RR
    Yellow/Black '00 929
    Red/White '00 929
    On a one man crusade to save the 929 from extinction one bike at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    Jess - have you tried State Farm for insurance ? I can give you my reps name if you're interested.. Got a smokin' deal !
    Thanks Sully! How about you PM the info so I can look into renter's insurance. I actually looked at them for auto and bike and they were pretty damn close to what I was getting with AmFam.
    "I just saved money by switching to Geico." And I mean major bucks with deductibles that are waaaaaaaay lower than what they were. Went from $1k on the bike and $500 on the car to $250 on each and still paying less for the exact same coverage. Whoo-hoo! (OK.. I'm done advertising for the gecko now.)
    ~Jess~
    2010 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
    2008 Kawi GREEN Ninja 650R

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    Sometimes things happen beyond our power and we can't make it. Like...your brake lines "accidentally" get cut, or a nice man comes through your window in the middle of the night and politely suggests you withdraw from the activity...who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by LambeauXLIV View Post
    I'm going up to my parents house this weekend in Fort Collins, so it's on the way
    I have no problems assessing the condition of the bike, but thanks

Swing by L-town and see the CBR
    http://www.rapidfirebunker.com
    $15 FFL TRANSFERS. $15 Private Transfers
    Emergency Preparedness Store, Survival BULK Food, knives, Guns, Ammo, FREEDOM

^ plan on it...probably sunday afternoon
    Nathaniel
    13 DRZ400SM (mine) -- 08 CBR 600RR (wife's) -- 06 GSX-R 600 (sold)
    I don't always test my code, but when I do, I do it in production.

I am free before 11:00 and after 2:30
    http://www.rapidfirebunker.com
    $15 FFL TRANSFERS. $15 Private Transfers
    Emergency Preparedness Store, Survival BULK Food, knives, Guns, Ammo, FREEDOM

Since this thread was 2 years ago, they probably already bought a bike if that was their intention.
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

I say let him ride the 1k. He'll keep the eBay spare parts ecosystem alive, and help some trauma junkie EMS crew from having to go on the usual old-person-I've-fallen-and-can't-get-up call when he bins it.

Yay old threads!
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Oops! I did a search just saw March 11, not the year, lol. Sorry for the "ancient bump", heheh. Hopefully the kid didn't have any issues.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Already apologized for the mistake, heh. Have you been waiting forever for the perfect opportunity to use that image though?
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Made it just for you sweet cheeks
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

I miss my R1. This video is what happens when a noob gets a 1k. 1k's accelerate so fast, you get yourself into a bad situation before you know it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-j_QAfUcLg

Reminds me of a guy in my MSF course. His first bike was a hayabusa.....but then again he was about 6' 3" 375lbs and a ex NFL defensive lineman. I figured that was like a 600 to regular folk.

my first bike was a 1000 and it really isn't that big of a deal. All he is gonna do if he gets a 600 is trade it in 3 months from now and get what he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by mxer View Post
    Reminds me of a guy in my MSF course. His first bike was a hayabusa.....but then again he was about 6' 3" 375lbs and a ex NFL defensive lineman. I figured that was like a 600 to regular folk.
    Trust me when I say a 600 can still move us big guys around without a problem...
    I'm DOWN to 285 (was averaging 315 this summer) and rode a 600 all summer long without a problem.
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Try to get him to get a 600. If not, do your best to make sure he knows not to be an idiot. At this altitude it's not as dangerous a move as at sea level, and the mountains will sap th epower even more, so there's that. I tried to talk a friend of mine out of getting a 1k as basically his first bike, and wasn't successful, but, I'm proud of the guy as he's done well with it. Of course, he's even older than I am, so, he's even less likely to be addled by a testosterone-driven ego to ride over his head.

If nothing else, make sure he gets training, and gear.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Hey guys, this thread is from March of 2009. I'm the culprit that accidentally bumped it.

The same people probably said the same shit 3 years ago.