Thread: $55/hour Job

$55/hour Job

I'm stunned..

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/090311/ford_uaw.html

U AW (space add to avoid search engines) workers get $55 an hour. I spent 8 years in college and earned a few degrees and I don't make $55 an hour.

I guess if you include seasonal layoffs that number comes down a bit.

If I were the set a wage I would have expected $28 tops.

No wonder the US needs the automakers..

Like I need your support

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

Re: $55/hour Job

That's labor + benefits though.

Benefits are very expensive and easily add 20k/year to a salary.

What your salary (the number you see on your check) and what it costs the company to have you as an employee are two completely different numbers...
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

Thats way better then the $70-$80 it was before.
    Danny

Its not better if YOU were making $32 an hr with great benefits, and now your making $26 with shit benefits.

Dont get me wrong. Some job is better than no job. Just saying.

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

When I pimp myself out as a computer consultant to small business and individuals, I ring up a $85/hour wage.

Granted I get about 3 of those gigs a year, for a grand total of maybe ~10 hours, but it still does make me smile when I tell people. Once I found out that Dana charges like $130/hour, my smile goes away.

Then again, I'm a college dropo.... er.... kickout, with all of my education coming from the TV show Jeopardy, so the smile comes right back.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    When I pimp myself out as a computer consultant to small business and individuals, I ring up a $85/hour wage.

Granted I get about 3 of those gigs a year, for a grand total of maybe ~10 hours, but it still does make me smile when I tell people. Once I found out that Dana charges like $130/hour, my smile goes away.

Then again, I'm a college dropo.... er.... kickout, with all of my education coming from the TV show Jeopardy, so the smile comes right back.

I had a buddy that charged up to $500/hour for consultation. Granted that was for the "drop what you're doing now and come fix our network/whatever" situations.

Benefits are very expensive. For me to make what I'm making now as a consultant (i.e. self-employed) I'd have to charge north of $100/hour. Ever price out health insurance for being self employed?
    Last edited by McVaaahhh; Wed Mar 11th, 2009 at 10:45 AM.
    '02 RC-51 - Street

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by McVaaahhh View Post
    Benefits are very expensive. For me to make what I'm making now as a consultant (i.e. self-employed) I'd have to charge north of $100/hour. Every price out health insurance for being self employed?
    I was getting it for about $120/mo when I bought it in a previous self-employed life. Definitely wasn't as outrageous as I thought it would be.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    I was getting it for about $120/mo when I bought it in a previous self-employed life. Definitely wasn't as outrageous as I thought it would be.
    Someone told me that for their family it was like $450+/month. That's for a wife and two kids, but still.
    '02 RC-51 - Street

~Dave Karlotski

AKA "Devaclis"

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post

My standard rate is $160 an hour. Less for some peeps, more depending on what the job entails. I have not had anyone bitch about the rate because the work is done right and does not need to be redone.

If you heard $130 it may have been because that is my "Hey you are a buddy, I will cut you a deal" rate
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

The Laborers out here make $30+ an hour. After dues, after benefits and everything. To empty trash cans and push brooms. The Teamsters, Pipefitters, and Boilermakers make even more. Thats not even counting the per diem most get. The best part is when you walk the site, they're all standin around smokin and shootin the shit. It's sad.

For contract the rate the pay is always higher. Consuliting, special computer skills -- I get that..

But this a full time yearly job...

Here is the breakdown:

Like I need your support

Quote Originally Posted by McVaaahhh View Post
    Someone told me that for their family it was like $450+/month. That's for a wife and two kids, but still.
    Kids are what jump it up. Most our guys with fams are near $600. We cover half.
    Danny