Thread: rear sprocket

rear sprocket

So when my bike is on the stand and i run the bike in gear i can see a slight wobble in the sprocket. Is this sposta happen? WTF....
    If guns kill people then i can blame my pencil for mis-spelled words!!!! (Larry the cable guy)

That doesn't sound good! If the wheel isn't wobbling too, I'd say you have a bent sprocket. Weren't you having chain line problems, some rubbing or something also?

Define "wobble"... Is it like a bent sprocket (i.e. looks like one side is out more than the other), does the entire thing move in and out, or is it up/down or front/back movement? If it's anything other than the first problem you could have a bearing issue - not good, and not something to ride on *at all* until it's fixed.

If it's a bent sprocket, get it replaced, and go easy on it since it will dramatically increase chain wear.

I don't know if/how applicible this may be to a front sprocket, but could you be missing a "spacer"?

A few years ago, I brought my rim in for a new rear tire at Fay Myers. While they had it, a spacer fell out. I reinstalled the tire and although I noticed a slight gap between the swingarm and the sprocket, everything was tight and seemed fine (I didn't think to check left-right play). Fay did call me back, saying they'd found a spacer, but they thought it came off a Honda, not my Kawasaki. Plus, I didn't think it was mine because I didn't know there was even a peice to fall out (I've learned a lot since then!!!). That slight space (about 1/2 inch) was enough to have the sprocket bolts cut a groove into the swingarm. I went back to Fay's and they gave me a brand new spacer.

The only difference between what happened to me, and what it looks like is happening in your pictures, is that my sprocket bolts created a circular groove in the swingarm, whereas you seem to be getting chain marks in your cover. Am I wrong?

Ok i think the chain problem is fixed, its just when i ave the bike in gear and run it, it looks like the sprocket has a left to right wobble in it, nothing bad, its just slight and very unnoticable.
    If guns kill people then i can blame my pencil for mis-spelled words!!!! (Larry the cable guy)

It might just be that the bolts on your sprocket aren't all equally tight or you've got a washer on the wrong side or something.

If that's not it - definitely repack your muffler bearings :P

hummm muffler bearings. I checked my blinker fluid and it was fine. Ill take a look at that tonight when i get off of work thanks.

one more thing you might check is to see if the cush drive is all the way in.once on my gsxr race bike i had a similar problem,when spinning the rear wheel while on a wheel stand the chain moved from the left to right.turns out i did not have the cush drive all the way in after we mounted new race tires. Mike Hard Core Racing MRA #25