Thread: 95 Ninja ZX6-C Starting Problem

Board Newbie

95 Ninja ZX6-C Starting Problem

So recently I've been having a problem with my choke, where I seem to be getting no choke at all, even when it's on full. I took the bike to my mechanic and we looked at the spark plugs and they were dead so we replaced those. But I'm still having the starting problem this morning, with the temp being 51 degrees. I've always needed full choke for about 10-15 seconds depending on temp to get the bike started, after that I can back it off and it runs fine. My mechanic did say that Carbs 1 and 2 were running very lean, and up until 2100 rpm my bike is only running on 2 cylinders (3 and 4) as opposed to 4 which kicks in at 2100.

I'm currently running BG cleaner through but does anyone else have any ideas? Is it normal for a bike this old to need full choke if it has been sitting for 8-10 hours? My mechanic thinks that it is the Pilots are clogged and a valve re-adjustment is in order. Would this fix the problem?

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

Re: 95 Ninja ZX6-C Starting Problem

Jim-TFOG-Problem fixed
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

Board Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by konichd View Post
    Jim-TFOG-Problem fixed

......HUH?

NM, googled and found it. I'll call them thanks.
    Last edited by Wockilla; Sun Mar 15th, 2009 at 11:56 AM.

I have cold start problems with my '98 FZR too. I have to use a battery booster to get her to fire first thing in the morning (and she won't fire at all with full choke). She runs and fires perfectly after initial start up. How many miles on your ZX? Def check for good valve clearance, and maybe a leak down compression test. I rebuilt the top-end with new pistons and valves at 36k last year. Just completed another valve adjustment and head re-torque at 39k. A too big pilot jet has been suggested and I'll be looking at carburetion next. Strange tho, I did not have this problem til about 25k miles.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Board Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
    I have cold start problems with my '98 FZR too. I have to use a battery booster to get her to fire first thing in the morning (and she won't fire at all with full choke). She runs and fires perfectly after initial start up. How many miles on your ZX? Def check for good valve clearance, and maybe a leak down compression test. I rebuilt the top-end with new pistons and valves at 36k last year. Just completed another valve adjustment and head re-torque at 39k. A too big pilot jet has been suggested and I'll be looking at carburetion next. Strange tho, I did not have this problem til about 25k miles.
    I'm right at about 23k miles.