Thread: A Tale Of Two Cities

A Tale Of Two Cities

I thought I'd share this quick editorial out of my latest issue of America's First Freedom was very interesting and from the article it was posted in Wayne LaPierre's blog. So I figured I'd share it. It's a small article comparing and talking about the current problem we've got going on down on the American/Mexican border towns of El Paso and Juarez.

http://www.nranews.com/blogarticle.aspx?blogPostId=492
    Wayne LaPierre
    2/2/2009

Two cities face each other across the U.S.-Mexican border.

In one of them, oppressive gun control restricts legal firearm ownership to an elite few approved by the bureaucrats in power. In the other city, the right to keep and bear arms is respected by the constitutions of the nation and the state.

Which city -Juarez, Mexico or El Paso, Texas -resembles a war zone?

Juarez had over 1,500 murders in 2008. That's a homicide rate of more than 100 per 100,000. Just across the border, El Paso's population of 600,000 had just 16 murders in 2008.

American gun control advocates claim that if only we'd pass "common-sense restrictions" like they have in Juarez, our city streets would be safer. That's nonsense! Mexico's gun control laws haven't stopped the drug cartels from turning Juarez into a killing zone.

Meanwhile, El Paso's law-and-order mentality goes hand in hand with legal gun ownership. Of the tens of thousands of gun owners in El Paso, thousands are Right-to-Carry permit holders. And El Paso is one of the safest cities in the nation.

The difference between Juarez and El Paso is as clear as night and day ... because it's as clear as the difference between gun control and crime control.

What I found interesting is that you've got two cities wedged close to each other. One having sky-rocketing crime, while the other relatively safe. In fact El Paso(roughly the same size in population to Colorado Springs) actually had less murders than Colorado Springs did last year(28 as oppose to 16 in El Paso). Compared to Juarez at 1500+, they are closing in on murder rates close to Russia(100 per 100,000).

All of this is in light of a culmination of gun legislation that's either in the works or will be shortly. With the H.R. 45 bill, now the Ammo Accountability Act(s) in several states being proposed, to the 800lb gorilla "New Assault Weapons Ban" on the very close horizon.

This isn't fear-mongoring or anything of that nature. It's a blatant question mark to those whom want to impose more gun control legislation. Why can having more and more supposedly work. When we've got the perfect example of two cities juxtaposed together and have such drasticly different results??? And it's like this everywhere you go. I know it sounds like a deadhorse but go here:

Gun Advocates Ready For Battle on Fed AWB:
    CLICK And you'll see that it's looming large and right at us.

And then to throw it into the mix, to use Mexico as a crutch to blame lax or lack of U.S. gun control laws as to why Mexico has such terrible crime rates and problems with drug cartels running the country. (Reason Mexico has such crime problems, is the fact they don't do anything about it and their government is just as corrupt as the cartels)

And to top things off, now we've got the Department of Defense under Executive orders, shutting down the selling of all mil-spec surplus reloaded ammo to police departments and civilian buyers CLICK
    Last edited by The Black Knight; Tue Mar 17th, 2009 at 09:31 PM. Reason: typos
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Re: A Tale Of Two Cities

I think... that there are a few more differences between Juarez and El Paso, than just gun control. But hey, I might be way off base here...
    Your grammar makes my head hurt.

1994 YZF750R

Re: A Tale Of Two Cities

Quote Originally Posted by Speedwagon View Post
    I think... that there are a few more differences between Juarez and El Paso, than just gun control. But hey, I might be way off base here...
    I agree, I think LaPierre's point was that with two cities so close to each other. One that is very safe and the other a nightmare. I think what he's focusing on most is their proximity and the fact that Juarez crime has not spilled into El Paso. And it's kept in check from what it seems. I agree there are alot of factors but for sure the fact that the people aren't allowed to defend themselves against drug lords(and criminals in general) doesn't help their cause.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."