Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help a Mang with his Chain

Re: Help a Mang with his Chain

The chain/sprocket set I got from them is top notch stuff. Sidewinder is not well known outside of the racing scene.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
    I love these threads.
    I just wanted advice on some basic maintenance Thanks to all that have replied thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    This is awesome
    I agree.
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssR1 View Post
    SO please explain to me how you think my sprocket has anything to do to how my chain wears out? And Please tell me how you have any idea what parts I use and why sprockets have no matter to my chain.. Your all really smart here on the internet.
    Ok I will give it my best shot. I found some pretty pictures that may help you understand this.
    Here is how the dimensions of your chain are determined-

Sprockets are designed to match a chain's pitch, roller diameter and roller width. The sprocket measurements are the pitch diameter, outside diameter, and bottom diameter.

So this is a worn out sprocket I had laying around in the garage. Yours probably get like this too since you ride so hard.

Here I am comparing it to a new sprocket. You can clearly see the difference. The pitch diameter, outside diameter, and bottom diameter have changed due to the removal of material from wear. You are probably already familiar with all this.

Since we are all so smart here on the internet, please tell us what happens when you put a new chain on this worn out sprocket.

President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Jimmy Rocks.....

07 GSXR 750
    07 GSXR 600 (RIP)

AKA "Devaclis"

Don't feed the troll. He will get fat and eat your babies.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Quote Originally Posted by UglyDogRacing View Post
    Ok I will give it my best shot.
    good info + a little sarcasm = nice post

I miss my Harley, it would drip oil all the time and fling it on my chain, thus never needed to oil it!!!!
    My Yamaha doesnt do that self oiling thing, so had to replace my chain and sprockets!!
    Thanks for all the helpful hints on how to clean and oil my new set.

I have been riding since last June, I have almost 3000 mi on my bike, at what point should i start thinking about all this chain maintenance.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by jopfin View Post
    I have been riding since last June, I have almost 3000 mi on my bike, at what point should i start thinking about all this chain maintenance.
    check the chain for stretching. check the sprockets for visible wear. at 3000 miles your chain should still be fine unless you have run it for awhile out of adjustmentment which would cause it to prematurely stretch.
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Every time the bike gets wet, (whether from riding in weather or from washing), a quick kerosene wipedown, and a re-lube, are a good idea.

Depending on how hard the 3k miles have been, you may have a lot of chain slack, or you may not have any at all. Check your slack, and if you're still within spec, you're good. If you have some excess "freeplay", make the needed adjustments. Won't take much more than 10 or 15 minutes, probably.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Or, let Jim ninja me.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    Or, let Jim ninja me.
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

THIS is why the internet is awesome!

Lube it about every 500 mi or so. Adjust as necessary.

Now, everybody get your torches & pitchforks to chase the troll back under his bridge
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

I will inspect this weekend, thanks for the lesson.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Motorex chain clean 611 is great stuff!!!! I use it from time to time to get all the old lube and dirt off. It is amazing how well it works. Just don't over use it.
    http://www.motorexusa.com/prod_detail.asp?id=98
    I play more games that Coleco!!

So with my $300 chain/sprocket set, I picked up this alignment tool. I have always suspected the alignment marks on your average swingarm to not be totally accurate...and proper alignment is critical for long chain/sprocket life. I recently used it on my dirt bike, ignoring the alignment marks, and sure enough they are not accurate and I've been running it slightly off.

The “Sidewinder Straightaway” is a very clever yet simple tool that guarantees perfect sprocket and chain alignment every time. It clamps to your sprocket face in seconds and provides an absolutely dead-on, parallel sight rod so you can bring the chain into perfect alignment by drawing on your axle adjusters. Without a reference line, your eye can never get it correct. This tool provides the reference line you need. Few riders realize that only a few degrees of mis-alignment between the chain and sprocket will cause significantly faster wear of the entire drive system and results in the loss of up to 3 horsepower. This truly is a must-have tool for anyone who owns a machine with a chain drive, power-transfer system. $39.99
    John
    KTM Duke 690

^^^ that's pretty tits.

Zach, did you ever get your chain cleaned and taken care of? The threads have been derailing lately and it's important that you get the info and help needed, if needed.

Yeah. I saw that cluster f**k all day today I ended up finding out that the guy I bought it from was using BelRay lube... so I'll probably go with that. Just need to borrow a garage and a rear stand from somebody. Willb003 recommended Break Kleen for cleaning so I might try that. Need to find the OEM spec chain slack tolerance too... probably in my service manual

Quote Originally Posted by Zach929rr View Post
    Yeah. I saw that cluster f**k all day today I ended up finding out that the guy I bought it from was using BelRay lube... so I'll probably go with that. Just need to borrow a garage and a rear stand from somebody. Willb003 recommended Break Kleen for cleaning so I might try that. Need to find the OEM spec chain slack tolerance too... probably in my service manual
    Just want to make sure. I'm around late tomorrow afternoon. I have a rear stand (if you have spools on the bike), kerosene and Motul chain lube if you need. No garage. I'm in Boulder.

If you need some space to work on your bike, youre more than welcome over at my place. I'll even let you use my rearstand.
    All praise the Snow God, for he let's us Ride!!

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
    So with my $300 chain/sprocket set, I picked up this alignment tool. I have always suspected the alignment marks on your average swingarm to not be totally accurate...and proper alignment is critical for long chain/sprocket life. I recently used it on my dirt bike, ignoring the alignment marks, and sure enough they are not accurate and I've been running it slightly off.

The “Sidewinder Straightaway” is a very clever yet simple tool that guarantees perfect sprocket and chain alignment every time. It clamps to your sprocket face in seconds and provides an absolutely dead-on, parallel sight rod so you can bring the chain into perfect alignment by drawing on your axle adjusters. Without a reference line, your eye can never get it correct. This tool provides the reference line you need. Few riders realize that only a few degrees of mis-alignment between the chain and sprocket will cause significantly faster wear of the entire drive system and results in the loss of up to 3 horsepower. This truly is a must-have tool for anyone who owns a machine with a chain drive, power-transfer system. $39.99

Yeah I saw that and it looks cool but kinda expensive, I think a straight edge would work just as well and not cost 40 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by SumoWeezle View Post
    If you need some space to work on your bike, youre more than welcome over at my place. I'll even let you use my rearstand.
    You cutie pie

Got some time this weekend?