Thread: helmet inspection

helmet inspection

Ralph had mentioned to me that some helmet companies will inspect their helmets for their customers. Has anybody ever had this done? What all do they do in the inspection?
    I'm just wondering if it is even worth me paying to ship my Shoei to them for an inspection? Wouldn't surprise me in the least if it is trashed, but if it isn't, I'd really hate to shell out another $400-500 for a helmet that I actually don't need.

The Shoei site has this little video on inspections, but they don't really say HOW they inspect them...
    http://www.shoei-helmets.com/Videos.aspx?v=4
    ~Jess~
    2010 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
    2008 Kawi GREEN Ninja 650R

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    Sometimes things happen beyond our power and we can't make it. Like...your brake lines "accidentally" get cut, or a nice man comes through your window in the middle of the night and politely suggests you withdraw from the activity...who knows?

Re: helmet inspection

Why?

Why what? Why do I want it inspected? Cause it took a nasty hit.
    ~Jess~

Sometimes things happen beyond our power and we can't make it. Like...your brake lines "accidentally" get cut, or a nice man comes through your window in the middle of the night and politely suggests you withdraw from the activity...who knows?

That's a very valid question.

I sent a Suomy in to have checked in 2006. They sent me back a certificate saying it was still within spec. It's been replaced now but it was good for my piece of mind.
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

Quote Originally Posted by Medicjess View Post
    Why what? Why do I want it inspected? Cause it took a nasty hit.

If it took a nasty hit replace it! No question
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

Nasty hit as in crash or fell off the bike?

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    If it took a nasty hit replace it! No question
    Kinda what I'm thinking...but it was into dirt, so there's a chance it is good. Just don't want to buy a new one if it is good. If it is bad though, I have no problem whatsoever getting a new one...even if they don't make my color anymore! *sigh* lol
    ~Jess~

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

The composite material that a helmet is made of breaks down in about five years. If there are micro fractures in the structure the ability of the composite to absorb an impact is greatly compromised.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Kinda what I'm thinking...but it was into dirt, so there's a chance it is good. Just don't want to buy a new one if it is good. If it is bad though, I have no problem whatsoever getting a new one...even if they don't make my color anymore! *sigh* lol

Even if you send it in the chances are that they are going to tell you that it's within spec but needs to be replaced. My helmet was a couple months old when it recieved a few scratches during a lowside. Therefore it was fine. They still never advised against replacing the helmet.

Just replace it. You will be more confident!
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

Bueller - as in I took a header into the dirt off of the bike with the helmet on (face first)

Ninja - helmet is an '08 and I just got it not that long ago....so shouldn't be any age issues with it. would xrays (i'm assuming that is part of the inspection..) show micro fractures?
    ~Jess~

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    Even if you send it in the chances are that they are going to tell you that it's within spec but needs to be replaced. My helmet was a couple months old when it recieved a few scratches during a lowside. Therefore it was fine. They still never advised against replacing the helmet.

Just replace it. You will be more confident!
    Eh.. you raise a valid point. If I get a letter telling me to replace it even if it is w/in spec, I'll still be all worried about it. I guess I should just cry uncle and get a new one...dangit.. lol
    ~Jess~

Bueller - as in I took a header into the dirt off of the bike with the helmet on (face first)

Ninja - helmet is an '08 and I just got it not that long ago....so shouldn't be any age issues with it. would xrays (i'm assuming that is part of the inspection..) show micro fractures?
    X-ray is the method. But the manufacturers lawyers will suggest you replace the lid.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

Your insurance should replace it.

If your helmet hit the ground with your head in it and hit harder than just a tap the helmet is done, the liner has compressed and your protection in that area is diminished, it is a single use item.

Well damn....I figured it was worth a shot...c'est la vie! lol
    ~Jess~

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    Your insurance should replace it.

Unless it's a 0 deductible then it's probably not worth the claim and risk of insurance hike.
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

Yeah... they are already cutting me a deal since I'm working with them on their terms...so if I throw the helmet in there, I suspect that the deductible will return. I will call them tomorrow to double check, so we'll see!
    ~Jess~

I had a zero deductible policy. Took a rock in the chin portion of a wrap-around Scorpion. Progressive sported me a completely new bucket. They required me to relinquish my damaged lid though. No increase in premium either.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    I had a zero deductible policy. Took a rock in the chin portion of a wrap-around Scorpion. Progressive sported me a completely new bucket. They required me to relinquish my damaged lid though. No increase in premium either.

Sweet!

0 deductibles are nice.

Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S