Thread: Bike won't cruise at speed

Bike won't cruise at speed

OK, I've had this long standing problem with my FZR 1000. Since mid last summer, the bike will start to cut out like it is running out of gas while cruising on the interstate, but does this very sporadically. I might go 60 miles and then it will happen.

If I position the clear inline fuel filter so I can see it while riding, the filter will start filling with vapor as it is cutting out.

I've tried (or done for other reasons) the following since the problem occured

- cleaning the carbs out
    - new air filters
    - rejetted and tuned carbs
    - sync'd carbs
    - checked the ignition system (besides the CDI of course)
    - replaced the fuel lines
    - new battery
    - replaced fuel filter
    - replaced fuel pump with one designed for a car

I replaced the fuel pump the other day and rode today thinking it would be solved. Not a chance. The problem is even worse but now more consistant. Now it will start acting up within a couple miles (or right away) of high speed (70-85mph) cruising. Once it starts acting up, I can pull off onto low speed streets and the bike will sort itself out.

Funny thing - when I first put the pump on it would seem to flood the bike at idle. I put a pressure regulator on and it worked well. Today, I pulled over every 5 miles or so to adjust the regulator. Nothing gave. Finally I took it off and the bike idled normally. To see if the pump was even working I took the out fuel hose off and flipped the kill switch to on to get the pump to prime itself this resulted in a "splat" of fuel and then it just poured out under gravity as the pump hummmed...

I also took the bike to apex sports a few months ago to have them look at it and they didn't come up with anything useful. A waste of $70.
    00' Hayabusa

Re: Bike won't cruise at speed

Sounds like the fuel petcock is turning off at random. Should be activated by engine vacuum. If this is the way the bike is set up, i'd check the vacuum line to the petcock sounds like it has a leak. Just a guess, but free to check.
    John in Boulder
    84' Kawasaki ZX750E1 Turbo (new project)
    82' Yamaha Seca Turbo
    77' Yamaha IT-400

Nah theres no vacuum line thats supposed to go to the petcock. Its a simple on/off switch. The petcock goes to another switch that is on/off/res, then to the filter then to the pump then to the carbs.

Edit: Hmm... Maybe I should take that extra switch out of the system to elmimate that and all the hose it requires. Probably adds a good 2 feet of hose to the system - that can't be good.

Anyone think it could be the pump relay? I can feel it click when I hit the run switch - so it must be working then. Could something like that fail intermittently or not work %100? I know you can test it - but I already tried that and I strongly suspect the test the relay failed was bogus (not the first time I've seen tests or diagrams that don't make a damn bit of sense).
    00' Hayabusa

"- replaced fuel pump with one designed for a car "

I think I know what your problem is.