Thread: Getting the starter idle gear back in!

Getting the starter idle gear back in!

The problem I'm having is once I get it back behind the large gear the starter idle gear is like a mm too long to fit under the starter gear. I called TFOG they say it can be done but I'm just not having any luck.

The stupid thing just fell out when I was taking my cover off to replace it.

Re: Getting the starter idle gear back in!

I would recomend a big god damn hammer
    See, look, I know I'm homophobic, but not about gay guys. They don't bother me at all. It's straight guys who don't know their gay... they fuck my shit right up

Loopty
    Pronounced with an "oopty"
    Are you lining the teeth up correctly?
    MRA 33 (Retired)
    502- RIP my brother

AKA "Devaclis"
    Does that gear come apart into 3 peices? If so, you may need to put it back in 1 peice at a time. We had this issue on a Yamaha 750 too, It just took a little patience.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

The gear is 1 piece. Also, everything lines up like I said it looks like it should even go on it lines up so well but it's just barely too long to fit under it. I've even tried vice grips and a hammer.

Loopty
    I had the same problem on my GSXR the other day, but I was able to get the cover back on. When I tried to start it, all I got was clicking. Took it back apart and put it back in, everything was fine after that. The first time I had to pound it back on though, the second time it went right in. What part of town are you in?
    MRA 33 (Retired)
    502- RIP my brother

C-470 and lucent

Ok, after smashing the skin between my thumb and index finger I finally figured out I could put it in place by hand and then stick a screwdriver through the hole to keep pressure on it and keep it in place while I hit it with the hammer. I got it in, thanks for your help everyone.

I've been working on this for a week and now that its finally done I feel like a part of me has died. Oh well, I still have the tank I'm painting today.

By the way, does anyone know if theres any nuts that could have fallen into the engine? TFOG said I should get a magnet and fish around in the engine.

Loopty
    Damn, practically next door to me (I work at Avaya, Lucent/470). Oh well, glad you got it figured out.
    MRA 33 (Retired)
    502- RIP my brother