Thread: Bad alternator? What do you think?

Loopty
    Pronounced with an "oopty"

Bad alternator? What do you think?

So I hadn't driven my 92 Ranger for a while (6+ months?), and when I went to start it, the battery was dead. Battery was like 7 years old, so it was ready to be replaced regardless. Anyway, I bought a new battery for it a week or two ago, and had noticed the last few days I drove it that the battery sounded like it was going out when I started it in the morning (sounded slow, like almost not enough juice to turn her over). Today when I went to start it, it was pretty much dead. The starter turned over a few times really slow, then just started clicking. Do you think the alternator just isn't charging the battery, and it eventually died? Please give me your thoughts, I'm no mechanic...
    MRA 33 (Retired)
    502- RIP my brother

Re: Bad alternator? What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopty";p="172209
    So I hadn't driven my 92 Ranger for a while (6+ months?), and when I went to start it, the battery was dead. Battery was like 7 years old, so it was ready to be replaced regardless. Anyway, I bought a new battery for it a week or two ago, and had noticed the last few days I drove it that the battery sounded like it was going out when I started it in the morning (sounded slow, like almost not enough juice to turn her over). Today when I went to start it, it was pretty much dead. The starter turned over a few times really slow, then just started clicking. Do you think the alternator just isn't charging the battery, and it eventually died? Please give me your thoughts, I'm no mechanic...
    Start it and put a volt-meter on the battery. If the alternator is putting out full current, the volt-meter will read about 14volts. Anything less and the alternator is not charging properly.
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Loopty
    I don't have a volt-meter. Maybe my room mate does?
    MRA 33 (Retired)
    502- RIP my brother

I'm Ashli with an I bitches AshliRider44's Avatar
    Never Ever Land or Trackside/Pitside Helping/Cheering On #33 or in our new home!
    Pretty sure he said that he does babe.. if not then I have one at the parents' house
    My Other Ride's a Hoopty

Watch Out for us Gene, We Will See You Again

now with bi-turbo goodness Site Admin Mel's Avatar

Hey hoop-I have a volt meter....you can run by my house one evening and we can check it.
    Also, if you go to places like checker auto, they can run a charging system check for free.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

lick both fingers and touch battery terminals with the car off, do it again with car running. If you get a bigger shock, the alternator's working.

Loopty
    Cool, thanks guys (except Ralph :P ).
    MRA 33 (Retired)
    502- RIP my brother

If you believe its the alternator you can also take it off and have it bench tested at an auto parts store (free). They can generally tell you the 'output of it'. You may also want to take it to a couple of them if they don't seem 'honest'.

Removing the alternator on a ford I don't believe is to hard for you just have the belt tensioner pulley to remove the belt and a couple bolts for the alternator.

Good luck..

oops purple gixxer beat me to it.. darn dial up..

hoopty i have a meter, if you need it I'm near hampden and university...

Actually, the meter is in my truck, so it really doesm't matter where i live.....

Loopty
    My room mate has one, thanks though.
    MRA 33 (Retired)
    502- RIP my brother

AKA "Devaclis"
    Hoopty, not sure if your room mate has one or not, but I have a meter you can use. You should check it with a volt meter. And I have one, for you to use, if your room mate does not have one.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis
    Hoopty, not sure if your room mate has one or not, but I have a meter you can use. You should check it with a volt meter. And I have one, for you to use, if your room mate does not have one.
    dumbass

Loopty
    MRA 33 (Retired)
    502- RIP my brother