Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Inline 4 liter comparison

Inline 4 liter comparison

So I have decided to sell my Aprilia Falco to get into a modern and more track oriented bike. As much as I love my twin and really don't want to sell, I want a bike I can do both canyons and track, leaning towards as much track as possible.The other problem is I cant really afford to own both right now. I do want a liter bike and not a 600 just cause I am way to big for one. Plus I just don't like the power band. They just are not that comfortable for someone of my size
    I am looking at a couple of 06 r1's, a couple 07 zx10s, and a 05 gsxr 1000. Besides the fact that your bike is beautiful and badass, what makes it better that the others. I have tested most of them and will test again on Monday, but for those of you that have owned your for a while you know more about your bike than I can find out in 10 minutes of riding. I also know that ultimately is what I like but I would like to hear from you on what you like and don't like about your bike

What do you like about the way it performs and what do you wish it had?
    Try to keep the bashing down and just tell me about your bike or if you have owned more than what was you comparison.

Thanks
    Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.

Re: Inline 4 liter comparison

'06 R1... motor is top end heavy for a liter bike when compared to the other two you listed. Not a bad thing, just saying.
    "That which does not kill you only postpones the inevitable."

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

07 ZX10R, tons of power (184 stock) and with a few mods are a great handling bike as well. My 06 is by far one of my favorite bikes I've ever ridden and I'm happy I didn't get a R1 or GSXR. Why? Its the best looking, most power, fun canyon/track bike and the bitches just flat out love the thing.

The only downside to it is that the stock brakes are pretty weak. Ditch the stock tokico's and get a set of Nissins off a ZX14, they bolt right on and solve the brake problem.

ZX10R FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

Quote Originally Posted by kidicarus13 View Post
    '06 R1... motor is top end heavy for a liter bike when compared to the other two you listed. Not a bad thing, just saying.
    Gears can be swapped to suit your preference!

Sit on a couple, sorry to hear the Priller is going away. I love my R1 and did a gear swap that made it a brand new bike all over. Personally, I would most likely not buy anything other than a Yamaha or Honda. I'm not trying to start a flame thread here, just my opinion.
    Mike

I have an 05 R1 and the lack of bottom end is really annoying, I guess that makes it a good liter bike to learn on? Past 6500 though, it rips.

I love working on it though, very easy to do things. Also, I've got 26k pretty hard miles with NO real issues. At my valve adjustments, they were all within spec. Thing is a nice bike to own, although I'd like some bottom end. Ultimately, I'd probably still get an R1.

did you consider a gsxr 750?

09 R1

Quote Originally Posted by sag View Post
    did you consider a gsxr 750?
    +1 It's a good balance for power and weight. If tuned right, it can beat a handful of stock 1k's in the hills and match the lap times on the track.

match on matchas

Sol Performance/ Preilli Race tires ...........Buy and sell take offs!!
    solperformance@gmail.com .............. www.2ndroll.com
    233. S. Madsion Ave. Loveland, CO 80537
    970.SOL.TIRE

Have to concur. I've ridden the 06 and 07 R1s' and both are top heavy...which is a good thing for me. If you keep the revs past about 7, it's a crazy bike. Canyon carving on the 07 R1 is nice if you can muscle it around and that's your thing. But once is gets in a corner...it just sits there and is very settled. The 06 R1 handles better in the canyons than the 07 but is not nearly as fast up top. Also rode the 06 10 for a minute and it (IMO) is not a canyon bike...it's very heavy and difficult to flick around. However, it's the most powerful liter bike I've ridden. Never ridden the GSXR. I think honda is the best over all bike but lacks a lil in power. R1 is the best looking bike and rips up top. the 06-07 ten is just a freight train and seems like it was built for drag racing.

.07$
    The cheapest mod that you can make to increase HP on two wheels is to remove the weight from the equation. In other words, put the spoon down once in a while and loose some fat off ur a*s ..lol.

'o5-'o6 GSXR 1000. Love mine. Super light, feels like a 600. Sliper Clutch. Rated # 1 bike both those years.

I'm 5'7" and 165lbs and i fit on their great. Jim Wilson, who's just a lil taller, rides the shit out of it, and i had a friend back in SoCal who was 6'3" and well over 250lbs and rode it just fine.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

I've heard a lot of good things about the 05/06 gsxr 1000
    Nathaniel
    13 DRZ400SM (mine) -- 08 CBR 600RR (wife's) -- 06 GSX-R 600 (sold)
    I don't always test my code, but when I do, I do it in production.

the gsxr was sweet, it had a linear power band that made me happy, but not the most comfy
    I also rode the zx10 and it lacked low end, felt solid in the turns and was decent for comfort. I did notice the breaks were a little weak, so thanks for the advise on switching them. I have not ridden the r1 yet so I will see. I also have another zx10 to try.
    As far as a heavy bike I ride a bike that is over 500lbs. so nothing can get much heavier. to add I am a solid 220lbs

With the 750 I thought of it but havent found one to ride to get an opinion of. If I see one I'll try it. I just know that 600's are out

Somewhere in the south suburbia of sprawl.

Quote Originally Posted by chad23 View Post
    So I have decided to sell my Aprilia Falco to get into a modern and more track oriented bike. As much as I love my twin and really don't want to sell, I want a bike I can do both canyons and track, leaning towards as much track as possible.The other problem is I cant really afford to own both right now. I do want a liter bike and not a 600 just cause I am way to big for one. Plus I just don't like the power band. They just are not that comfortable for someone of my size
    I am looking at a couple of 06 r1's, a couple 07 zx10s, and a 05 gsxr 1000. Besides the fact that your bike is beautiful and badass, what makes it better that the others. I have tested most of them and will test again on Monday, but for those of you that have owned your for a while you know more about your bike than I can find out in 10 minutes of riding. I also know that ultimately is what I like but I would like to hear from you on what you like and don't like about your bike

What do you like about the way it performs and what do you wish it had?
    Try to keep the bashing down and just tell me about your bike or if you have owned more than what was you comparison.

Thanks
    Chad.... not to give you grief... but...

WTF?????

Hello!!!!! Vtwin sportbike in the canyons???? IS THERE ANYTHING SWEETER???? Shit-tons of torque in the mid-range... no incessant soulless in-line 4 whining but the sweet sound of a thumper twin under your butt...

Man... how can you abandon the Vtwin so quickly????

Aprilia RSV / RSV-R / RSV-R Factory...
    Honda RC-51....

and especially if you're thinking track...

Ducati 848 / 1098 / 1198

Come on man... don't abandon the engine with soul to cave to the generic and soulless so quickly man!!!!
    ...Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

Current Ride: 2005 Ducati ST3

The 09 R1 has anything but an incessant soulless inline-4 whine

Chad, it wasn't one of the bikes you mentioned, but maybe check out the 1000rr. I've heard many times that it is a great bike. Well balanced, smooth power band and lots-o-giddy up. I can't speak from personal use, but it might be worth trying. Maybe shoot CurtisRR a pm. I know he has one for sale (don't know how much) and if he's still in the state, go look at it (he's in foco). Just a though.

p.s. My bike is beautiful and badass, and better than the others. That's all you need to know

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    Chad, it wasn't one of the bikes you mentioned, but maybe check out the 1000rr. I've heard many times that it is a great bike. Well balanced, smooth power band and lots-o-giddy up. I can't speak from personal use, but it might be worth trying. Maybe shoot CurtisRR a pm. I know he has one for sale (don't know how much) and if he's still in the state, go look at it (he's in foco). Just a though.

p.s. My bike is beautiful and badass, and better than the others. That's all you need to know
    I got to ride his 'RR out at VIR. Holy shit what a fun bike! Definitely check his out.

I also gotta agree with Vance, V-twins kick ass! For a canyon bike here it's the weapon of choice, and I raced a twin for a season and it was great as well. One other thing to consider is a 'twin might be easier on your tire budget than an inline liter bike, which is going to eat rears like a fat kid at a buffet.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chad23 View Post
    the gsxr was sweet, it had a linear power band that made me happy, but not the most comfy
    I also rode the zx10 and it lacked low end, felt solid in the turns and was decent for comfort. I did notice the breaks were a little weak, so thanks for the advise on switching them. I have not ridden the r1 yet so I will see. I also have another zx10 to try.
    As far as a heavy bike I ride a bike that is over 500lbs. so nothing can get much heavier. to add I am a solid 220lbs

With the 750 I thought of it but havent found one to ride to get an opinion of. If I see one I'll try it. I just know that 600's are out
    On the ZX10R just pull the secondaries and it will have all the low-end you need. Add a PCIII and the power becomes smooth and manageable.
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    Chad, it wasn't one of the bikes you mentioned, but maybe check out the 1000rr. I've heard many times that it is a great bike. Well balanced, smooth power band and lots-o-giddy up.
    I've heard the same thing about the 1000rr; they are most def. nimble and have power where you need it. That bike IMO would retire many twins in the twisties...depending on the rider of course
    Last edited by lightspeed; Wed Apr 8th, 2009 at 09:09 AM. Reason: sp..
    The cheapest mod that you can make to increase HP on two wheels is to remove the weight from the equation. In other words, put the spoon down once in a while and loose some fat off ur a*s ..lol.

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

I say, stick w/ the v-twin. You'll be a happy man.

On that note, I haven't ridden the '06 R1, but I know the '04 and you had to wring it's neck to get it moving. Felt like a 600 w/ the power band, but once it got up in the RPMs, it WENT. You can't go wrong w/ the GSX-R, but you and I are both tall, and every GSX-R I've ridden, my legs cramped up. I think the ZX-10s are ugly, but have never ridden one, so I can't help you there. The 1000RRs are NICE. That'd be my pick, but then again, I'm a Honda guy.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

My first choice would be the '05 Gixxer because of the wide powerband and superior top-end compared to the R1. It's also the most forgiving and stable, and confidence-inspiring, if not the sharpest handling. My second pick would be the ZX-10 for the motor. The R1 would be my very last pic. I thought it felt like a 600 because there was zero low end and midrange.....and isn't that why you buy a 1000?
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

The '09 R1 sounds like it is trying to be a twin, haven't ridden one to comment on the powerband.

Do you love your twin? Then get a faster twin!!

Why not get a newer Mille R or Factory? They go dirt cheap because none of the squids know what the hell they are and the Rotax is reliable as hell, just make sure it an R or factory for the tasty suspension....mods are out there to make power from this engine if it truly is not fast enough for you.

My SV650 gets smoked on the straights by the 4cyl bikes but the grunt out of the corners is awesome and it is just great fun to pass 1000's in the corners...

If you must have the HP get a 1098/1198, it has the cojones to hang with all the liter 4's in most situations.
    Slow and fat, but entertaining...

06 675
    74 CB450
    MRA#91

Quote Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
    Gears can be swapped to suit your preference!

Sit on a couple, sorry to hear the Priller is going away. I love my R1 and did a gear swap that made it a brand new bike all over. .
    Hey what swap did you do?
    To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive

Hyper 1100
    KTM 450 XCW

dude I am with you on the twin idea, I love mine but the truth of the matter is the cost. Aprilia and ducs cost a bit more and cost a lot to fix if I happen to wad one up. With the big 4 inline companies they are cheaper and parts are a lot easier to come by. And with the fact that I want to do more track time I need something that will not break the bank to set up. I am already having cold chills just thinking of getting out of my twin now. But for the purpose of what I want to do its the smart choose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vance View Post
    Chad.... not to give you grief... but...

WTF?????

Hello!!!!! Vtwin sportbike in the canyons???? IS THERE ANYTHING SWEETER???? Shit-tons of torque in the mid-range... no incessant soulless in-line 4 whining but the sweet sound of a thumper twin under your butt...

Man... how can you abandon the Vtwin so quickly????

Aprilia RSV / RSV-R / RSV-R Factory...
    Honda RC-51....

and especially if you're thinking track...

Ducati 848 / 1098 / 1198

Come on man... don't abandon the engine with soul to cave to the generic and soulless so quickly man!!!!

great bikes but again pricey to fix and hard to get parts. Its taking a week just to get throttle cables and cost $100.
    Quote Originally Posted by Desmodromico View Post
    The '09 R1 sounds like it is trying to be a twin, haven't ridden one to comment on the powerband.

Do you love your twin? Then get a faster twin!!

Why not get a newer Mille R or Factory? They go dirt cheap because none of the squids know what the hell they are and the Rotax is reliable as hell, just make sure it an R or factory for the tasty suspension....mods are out there to make power from this engine if it truly is not fast enough for you.

My SV650 gets smoked on the straights by the 4cyl bikes but the grunt out of the corners is awesome and it is just great fun to pass 1000's in the corners...

If you must have the HP get a 1098/1198, it has the cojones to hang with all the liter 4's in most situations.