Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible trade...what would you do?

Possible trade...what would you do?

After exhausting the opinions of all my buddies here at work, I'm still on the fence. I just picked up an '08 zx6r w/ salvage title with 3700mi. I will make it street legal; parts are on the way. I ride more street than track. My question is should I trade this guy on the board for his '04 1000rr, clean title, and 4000mi? I can't decide. 4yr diff, but mine is salvage. What do you guys think? Is it a good trade?

Re: Possible trade...what would you do?

Depends on what costs you sunk into the Ninja. It's a great bike (of course I'm gonna say that as I've got the 07 version) but the Repsol plastics are hard to come by. I think it depends more on what you want in a bike and what you want to do with the bike. If you're just planning on having something to ride around on as a commuter and then sell, then I'd go with the CBR. If you're planning on hitting the canyons a lot then sell it, then it's a toss up, but probby the CBR just b/c it's less work. If you're planning on keeping the bike for some time and hitting the canyons a lot, then I'd go with fixing the Ninja. The salvage title means you're not gonna get a ton of money selling the thing, possibly less than you've put into it. That said, if you're gonna fix it up & keep it, then I think you'll get more out of the bike doing things that way.

You might wanna start by looking at the blue book values for each bike and then depreciating them as you think is appropriate
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

That's not a repsol 1000rr, just the fairings, or a paint job.

If you're going to try and sell it soon, I'd get the CBR because of the title. Otherwise keep whatever bike you think you'd enjoy more in the long haul.
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

I'd trade it in a hearbeat! 1st, it's worth wayyyy more because of the title and the displacement. 2nd, it is an amazing bike that was liter bike of the year and is still pretty much a wonderful bike. 3rd, it's a honda, so I need not say more! Unless you just really don't want a liter bike, it seems like a no brainer to me, and then you could sell it for more than you probably paid for the zx and get something else.

OH, and like McVaaahhh said, it's not a true Repsol, they came with a silver frame and orange wheels....... so, that would affect resale $$ a bit....
    Last edited by RajunCajun; Thu Apr 16th, 2009 at 12:59 PM.
    "Leze Le Bon Temps Roulet"
    Let The Good Times Roll!!

Your riding experience. Do you have the discipline it takes to own a 1000 (are you ready for it) or is a 600 more in line with your abilities?
    98 VFR 800 (Old faithful)
    06 Sprint ST 1050 (Sexual Chocolate)

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

Elliott.. Few questions for you.. where did you move from ? Have you ridden your bike here much ? Just curious..
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    Elliott.. Few questions for you.. where did you move from ? Have you ridden your bike here much ? Just curious..
    I like how Sully goes right for the jugular, pulling no punches on her way
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter Shea's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    That's why we love her
    Shea
    Now bikeless...

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    THERE IS NO TIME FOR RATIONAL SOLUTIONS!
    WE HAVE TO TAKE DRASTIC IRRATIONAL MEASURES NOW!
    LIVES ARE IN DANGER!

Quote Originally Posted by Shea View Post
    That's why we love her
    yes, "love"...
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Depends on what costs you sunk into the Ninja. It's a great bike (of course I'm gonna say that as I've got the 07 version) but the Repsol plastics are hard to come by. I think it depends more on what you want in a bike and what you want to do with the bike. If you're just planning on having something to ride around on as a commuter and then sell, then I'd go with the CBR. If you're planning on hitting the canyons a lot then sell it, then it's a toss up, but probby the CBR just b/c it's less work. If you're planning on keeping the bike for some time and hitting the canyons a lot, then I'd go with fixing the Ninja. The salvage title means you're not gonna get a ton of money selling the thing, possibly less than you've put into it. That said, if you're gonna fix it up & keep it, then I think you'll get more out of the bike doing things that way.

You might wanna start by looking at the blue book values for each bike and then depreciating them as you think is appropriate
    I picked it up for $4800 the way it sits in my truck. I had to order shift lever and rear brake pedal($150). Tail light ($50) and a set of PIAA's ($180). So $5180 in it. Other than that the bike is clean and straight. This is a tuff one. I had an '04 gsxr1000 that I sold a year and a half ago for $5000. This guy wants $6000 OBO or trade. I do feel more comfortable on a 600, but I don't ride too extreme so either bike will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    and I am positive you are doing that face expression we were talking about last night....(huh Lindsey)!!

An yes...that's why we love her!

07 GSXR 750
    07 GSXR 600 (RIP)

Get rid of them both and get a Daytona 675...

/thread
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jgixxer1 View Post
    I picked it up for $4800 the way it sits in my truck. I had to order shift lever and rear brake pedal($150). Tail light ($50) and a set of PIAA's ($180). So $5180 in it. Other than that the bike is clean and straight. This is a tuff one. I had an '04 gsxr1000 that I sold a year and a half ago for $5000. This guy wants $6000 OBO or trade. I do feel more comfortable on a 600, but I don't ride too extreme so either bike will do.

As an FYI that will not be enough to get that ZX6R registered for the street. The inspection process is pretty throughough and I can tell you right now you will need to spend a lot more $$$ to get that past inspection.
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

Quote Originally Posted by jgixxer1 View Post
    Well his trade in value (according to kbb.org) is $4825 and suggested retail value is about $7k so he's not outta the ballpark by asking $6k. Again, I think it comes down to what you're going to be most comfortable on and what you want to do with the bike. I'm the kinda guy who holds on to a lot of stuff and I fully plan keeping my bike as long as I can. If you're gonna sell the bike (whichever one you get), you'll get more cash outta the CBR. I think the 6R is a great bike that's a hell of a lot of fun, but that's me. If you're planning on keeping the bike for awhile and not selling it AND you're more comfortable on a 600, then just let the CBR go, get your parts in, put it back together and forget about the salvage title 'cause she's yours.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by konichd View Post
    As an FYI that will not be enough to get that ZX6R registered for the street. The inspection process is pretty throughough and I can tell you right now you will need to spend a lot more $$$ to get that past inspection.
    Even if I already have the Salvage title? I read on the internet at a DMV website that inspection is only $20. The PIAA's are DOT legal. I got a stock tail light. I was gonna put a left mirror on from my friends' bike. I don't know what else would cost me $$$. There is nothing wrong with the bike. I've plated a yz450f, a KTM 525SMR, and my CR500 no problem. Hmmmm....

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

Also have to consider insurance implications. Some Ins. companies will not cover salvage/rebuilt bikes. Check with your carrier.
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

Quote Originally Posted by McVaaahhh View Post
    Also have to consider insurance implications. Some Ins. companies will not cover salvage/rebuilt bikes. Check with your carrier.
    I put insurance on it 2 days ago. They didn't give me any hassles, but I just went with liability. $93/year

I've rebuilt a couple bikes back to PERFECT streetbikes and I will guarentee if you show up to Golden for your inspection your going to have a hard time. Has the frame been stamped? High-Low beam on the PIAA lights? Turn Signals? Do you have all the reciepts? All of these the inspector will ask. Also fill out the form before you arrive listing what was damaged and what you did to get it rebuilt.

Streetbikes are a little more complicated than dirtbikes. I would make some calls first to make sure what you plan on doing will be acceptable.

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

definitely a "Fakesol" but still the better bike for the money.
    be nice till it's time to no longer be nice

Quote Originally Posted by konichd View Post
    I've rebuilt a couple bikes back to PERFECT streetbikes and I will guarentee if you show up to Golden for your inspection your going to have a hard time. Has the frame been stamped? High-Low beam on the PIAA lights? Turn Signals? Do you have all the reciepts? All of these the inspector will ask. Also fill out the form before you arrive listing what was damaged and what you did to get it rebuilt.

Streetbikes are a little more complicated than dirtbikes. I would make some calls first to make sure what you plan on doing will be acceptable.
    I'm gonna go down to the court house right after work and see what all needs to be done. They may make up my mind for me. The guy who wants to trade said he wants a 600cc trackbike. He wouldn't have to go thru all the BS.

^^^Just make sure you check with someone who actually does VIN Inspections. Most state troopers are trained to do VIN inspections.

I just want to make sure you know what its going to take before you spend anymore $$$

I'd keep that Kawi though

I'll let you guys know tomorrow. Thanks for all the input.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shea View Post
    That's why we love her
    .. No, nothing like that. I was just curious if he liked riding his cbr1000 here... I've heard that most people prefer a 600 for the canyons over a 1000 ... Some people that move here from other states where there really aren't canyons, prefer a liter or larger bike so they can go really fast in a straight line. Nothing wrong with that by any means, just trying to see where he was coming from.

Anyway, good luck jgixxer1, whatever you do
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

Repsol FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by Suki View Post
    ...i mean, sure maybe 4 inches isn't much to them, but it sure as hell is alot to me!