Page 1 of 21 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: 50cc - Ya Baby!!!!

50cc - Ya Baby!!!!

Thanks Ralph!
    I had asked Ralph to give us a forum to discuss and plan for this EPIC RIDE.

Ideally, we will have a few in person get togethers too.

So, who's ready to commit to this ride?

Have you checked out the Iron Butt Association web site to fully understand what you're getting yourself into?

Dates/routes are still up in the air. Some of the things that may want us to change the current dates: 5/24/02-6/1/02 would be things like attending a rally on the way back such as the Honda Hoot or similiar, or shortening or extending the duration.

So if you're seriously considering this ride and know you'll have what it takes to safely make this journey....welcome aboard!!

Harry Biker

more info? links?

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

50cc Rules and Reg's

Check it out here:
    :arrow: http://www.ironbutt.com/rides/50cc.htm
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

That'd be 5/24/03- 6/1/03.

Hey Jeff, are those real flames on yer scoot? If so, nice job.

greetings all....

i'm working out some 'first-cuts' for potential 50cc routes utilizing MS Trips 2000. the first leg of the 50cc from the Pacific coast @ San Deigo to somewhere around Houston must be at least 1500 miles and be completed in 24hrs or less to qualify for a SOREBUTT/BUTTBURNER, then after a bit of rest.... jump back on the 2-wheeled torture machine to ride to the Atlantic coast @ Jacksonville before 50 hours elapse from the start time at San Deigo. what fun! what a challenge! batteries and medication NOT included!

still working things out...
    henry

Another option for a 50 hour ride

Team Strange did a ride a few years back and the IBA has since adopted it. It's the Great Lakes Challenge. You can ride the Great Lakes gold,(50 hours) which is almost identical mileage to the I-10 route we're talking about in the 50CC, or you can do the great lakes 100,(100 hours)

Give this some thought as it's not quite as far to get to the starting point or ending point. You can take a look @ the map @ Team Strange Great Lakes Challenge. Also, the actual route should be more entertaining that I-10.

Skipper, we were talking about going to Duluth anyhow ya know.

Also, since we'll already be out kinda far.... I''ve been looking @ potential rallies we can include on the return trip. Our current dates aren't the greatest for rallies, but we could hook up w/ the largest touring rally aka Americade. The Honda Hoot is likely 2 weeks later,(should we care to change dates & we'd be going by the "Dragon" anyhow.

Harry Biker

if given the choice, i'll pick the coast-to-coast route hands down! to me, there is much more signifigance to the sea-to-shining-sea concept than any other; it is part of our national anthem and i'm a veteran... another thing; the pavement conditions will be more consistent going west-east-west rather than north-around north-south. freeze/thaw/freeze is hell on asphalt!

i'm not interested in any rally events. the 50cc is a very rugged and enduring event in itself. that is where i'll focus my attention. i like the dates as they are...

i'm going to Duluth for an A'stitch and some long haul training. granted, there is some appeal to the idea of integrating the trip into the Great Lakes Gold (50cc equivalent...) but still i'd like a sample from each ocean on my mantle....

excluding harry biker and ninja_nick; isn't there anyone else out there with this kind of passion? alas; fewer folks mean quicker fuelings and potty-breaks!

stay the course; a thousand lights...., gatorade, power bars, and fig bars!
    henry :!:

As far as lack of interest, this worked for me:,(course I do have interest ):wink:

Take a good look @ a map of the USA and instead of doing a 50CC try to predict what'd it be like to do a 4 courners ride, IBA style,(which is 10 days to hit all 4 courners of our country!!)

That should make the 50CC look like a walk in the park!!

I'm "hip" if you are HT!!!!!!!!

4 Corners

Does that include the Conch Republic of Key West FL. : I'm thinking of going north......WAY NORTH maybe to the Artic Circle or some such destination. Have to see the vacation timeframe and the $$ in the pocket prior to lift off. Still watching this board though..........
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

You betcha we hit the Key's!!, St. Leonard, Bellingham and San Diego too! Thinking about this ride gives me a woody!

But, it's obviously VERY difficult and perhaps we should learn to babystep 1st.

Any interest in Prince Edward Ilse, or the Cabbot Trail in NS??

Henry & I are pretty well stoked to knock out a SS1K, BB1500 and the 50CC this May. Still deciding on which direction and, HT, as of today, I still think the West to East is better. I rode home on the bike yesterday a whopping 10 miles in direct sunlight...it sucked!

Jeff, I've got the Jones to go long this upcoming riding season, so let us know what yer thinking, even if you're going solo or w/ other riders, that's cool too. It helps during the cold months to dream!! Prudo Bay perhaps??

Harry Biker.

one more thing......
    There's an extreme lack of interest on a touring forum of the CSC...imagine that!! So......anyhow, this forum will likely wither away, but I'm always hip,($$ & vacation time) to go long.

We are planning a trip to Duluth to go to Aero Stitch's Rider wear house in the late Spring

I just made contact w/ Sargent cycle products and they'll be adding a closed cell foam to my saddle!!!!!

Harry and Henry,

I just noticed this section. I am interested, but my work situation will determine if I can do it. I will keep watching this thread.

I would be interested in either the 50cc or 4corners. I really like the idea of the 4 corners - I have been wanting to see the Keys and Maine. Are you planning on camping or motels?

Which bike are you planning on using Harry - the FZ1? I definitely don't want to do it on the Superhawk, but I was thinking about a different bike anyways. I will keep this in mind when I do my shopping.

Gary

Hello Gary,
    Always nice to have a familiar biker to chat with. We'd love to have another rider!!!

Sadly, I do not have a great bike to do a timed long distance ride with..the FZ1 is really only good for commuting and spanking little Spider's butt's in the tight stuff......yes I'm talking about you,(and I think I've now caught you in the old odometer dept )

The Harley which I'll likely be taking, although is comfy, it's about 10mph too slow for a nice sustained speed,( just under the watchful eye of radar) and the fuel range is pathetic for a tour bike! I guess our friends in Milwaukee felt that a 180 range is far enough between beer joints :wink:
    Just kidding we all owe our current Jap rides to our friends in Milwaukee,(read your history Henry)

anyhoo......

Let's do the 50CC this year. We all need the practice anyhow and the 4 corners is, well, HARD TO DO!! However, I do believe it will be done by riders from the CSC in the near future.

Gary, we're doing a practice saddle sore 1K and then we'll have to get back home too, so potentially 2 SS1K's to ride to THE MECCA OF BIKER GEAR/GADGETS in Duluth after the thaw, albeit not to far away from the actual "50CC". So, my suggestion is to really give it some thought,(spend some time on a map and anticipate how you'll be feeling and invision making this EPIC ride that you can brag to your dog about!)

Obviously the Super Hawk ain't the bike to do this on. But I know you have the desire to go long and you've felt that way for sometime,(Vegas # 2)

We should meet up and attend the Cycle World International MC show,(I think it's 12/21) WELCOME BACK AFTER 5 FRICKING YEARS!!!!
    AND BUY YOU A STEED WORTHY OF THE IRON BUTTERS!!!!

Try to keep the Super Chicken though as I do miss mine.

Keep in touch.
    Harry Biker

Harry,

I have been following the Iron Butt riders for the last couple of years so I know what is involved both mentally and physically. After last years rally one of the participants had a 10+ page story of his trip from Alabama to Alaska and back. I don’t want to do that but a fast blast across the country and a little more relaxed trip back would be fun. Maybe a detour through Deals Gap/Tail of the Dragon?

I have two 4,000 mile trips under my belt now but the were both under more relaxed conditions. The first was a loop from Montana to Washington, down the coast to Los Angeles and back up through Vegas, the Tetons and Yellowstone - on Honda CL350’s with all our camping gear too. We only spent two nights indoors, the rest of the time was camping with a cheap survival tube tent. The last one was from Dallas to Sturgis in 1999. It was a little easier since we stayed in motels along the way

I’ve had my eye on a used CBR1000 with low miles. That may be the bike to do this on. I can’t spend a lot of money on a bike right now. I have a cruiser I have been trying to sell on consignment in Dallas. If it doesn’t sell soon, I may just go pick it up. I would certainly provide the comfort for trip like this - rubber-mounted engine and a wide, comfy Mustang seat but the gas mileage is worse than yours and I don’t know how you guys would feel about the 2 1/4” straight pipes after a couple of days.

I would really like to do this. I will start my research/preparation now and hopefully it all will come together for me.

Gary

2 1/4 rock! Loud pipes save lives ya know
    My Twin Cam ain't exactly quiet either
    Henry will likely look like this after riding next to us

I wear ear plugs anyhow and will be listening to some Zombie and checking for smokie bandits good buddy.

That is unless Henry the gadget mystro gets us all wired in on the family channel so we can all listen to WHITE ZOMBIE

What kind of cruiser ya got?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Biker
    ..the FZ1 is really only good for commuting and spanking little Spider's butt's in the tight stuff......yes I'm talking about you,(and I think I've now caught you in the old odometer dept )
    Don't you be talking smack about me old man!

We only rode the tight stuff together once this year... way back in May, just after I got the R1, and (more importantly), before I started hitting the track. I highly doubt there would be any spanking going on anymore. And yes, I am getting my knee down (in fact, it's down in one of the pics in my sig).

As for mileage, it's kind of hard for me to rack up any significant mileage when practically all I'm doing with the bike is commuting (40 miles round trip) 3 days a week.

I would love to do a 50cc or 4 corners (yes, even on my R1, although I'd have to carry an extra tank of gas), but my wife isn't as understanding as yours, and like I said, my vacation for next year is already spoken for.

L8R "Pops",
    Spidey

Harry,

It's a Big Dog Vintage. It was built to resemble a '62 DuoGlide. Everything is powercoated/painted black except the front end, cam cover, rocker boxes, primary housing, pipes, oil tank, shocks and swingarm which are chrome.

It has a rubber-mounted frame with outboard rear shocks (not a soft tail). 80 inch S&S evolution motor with Andrews cam and S&S Super E carb. It moves ok for a cruiser.

It was originally built for Richard LaPlante, the author of Hog Fever. I've put over 15,000 miles on it and really enjoyed it. I was just looking for something with more handling and performance for the mountains and canyons after I moved up here.

Gary

Spidey, I was just checkin if you had your ears on. You're still my super hero :wink: However, as far as the wife goes...the way I see it, you get 3 weeks paid vaca/year. 2/3 spent w/ the wife & kids,(not to mention all the big holidays) is to be expected.

BUTT....1 OF THOSE WEEKS SHOULD BE SPENT RIDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!w/ the boys and ok girls too,(did the Alicia I know get an RC51?)
    and I'm not talking the monthly twist w/ the crew. I'm talking getting away from these contraptions I'm keying on, faxes, pagers,(ok you can keep your cell phone as you never know when the Fantastic Four might need your help, but you know what I mean)

Ok spend yer 3 weeks in Euro Disney in '03, but I am going to your home country for sure in '04,(I really want to do the Cabbot Trail & surrounding area) So be a good little spyder and tell the wife that in 19-20months you're gonna be tour guide to Quebec & Nova Scotia and possibly New Foundland. I don't speak French and will surely get screwed reserving a ferry without you.

Gary,
    I read that book,(didn't care for it too much) I surprised you have a "clone"! Why didn't you say so?? Sounds like a cool scoot. I used to have a 96"S&S Ultra Patriot but traded for the FLHTCUI.

I've got a suggestion for you for a higher speed tourer,(assuming you don't get the predessesor to the Mighty XX) in fact I might start looking for this bike too. BMW R100RS all day ergos, 250 mile range a 135 mph top speed, but it'll do 110 mph all day long.

Ahhhh the sound of RADAR

Harry, like you I wear 1 ear plug :P . I also cram the radar detector into the other ear . Electronic countermeasures are a must, especially when riding LONG distances. You can become complacent after long periods of time in the saddle and that blast of synthesized noise can be a life saver and currency saver.

Five summers ago three of us went to CANADA. We covered 7K miles in 23 days. 1500 of those were here in Colorado on Ride The Divide http://www.concours.org/co/rtdmain.htm sponsored by the Concourse Owners Group http://www.concours.org/.

We averaged 300 mile days and sometimes traveled 600 miles in 12 hours. On the way back into Colorado the regulator rectifier on the ZX-11 went out in beautiful Bountiful, Utah (NOT). John Hopperstad, noted MRA #1 plate holder, works for a shop there that we initially were scheduled for a tire change. We spent 48 hours there waiting for a new part FedExed in overnight and then installed.

We ended up leaving Bountiful (just north of Salt Lake City) at 1 PM and bolted south headed toward Montrose, Colorado. We parked the bikes in front of The Red Barn at 7:30 PM. No dilly-dallying occurred on that section of the trip.

Harry,

I bought the clone because the price was right and I fell in love with it at first sight. I was planning on getting a Harley but not for a couple of years when this one showed up.

I'm on the same page as you about the BMW. I've been looking at the R1100S since the summer. Either the Boxer Cup model or the limited edition race replica model they just released. I just hate to spend that much money. I can get the CBR1000F and have $8-10K left over for traveling money (or keeping the Superhawk). I think the CBR will keep up with the Electraglide and Henrys RF900.

I've been thinking about the 50cc some more and I may meet you two in Houston or somewhere mid-country and do the last half of the cross-country trip and the return trip. This would cut out the Denver to San Diego part also. It's still a ways off so there's time to decide.

Gary

Hey Jeff,
    You must know Randy Bishop? I think I sold him my Corbin saddle off my '99 Concorse. I never did make a ride with this bunch, but I do get their e-mails still for that one day.........

Gary,
    I went looking last weekend and Apex Cycles in the Springs has a clean '94 cbr1000 red white & black,(nice paint job) for under 5K$. Also in the Springs, the local BMW shop had that race replica r1100s with the fancy cowling, carbon fiber head covers and paint job. The bike is stunning!! It's also ironically 1300 cheaper than the standard R1100S,(I think because it lacks ABS) The bike is so good looking you may not want to ride it though. They alo have the 3 R1100RT's all w/ 20K + miles on em and he'll sell for $10,500,(in a month you could likely knock another grand off). Same dealer also has a very clean Triumph Trophy 1200 for $7500 and you can find it on e-bay too.

I hope you reconsider doing this trip. You'll have a hard time finding us in Houston and we'll be on the clock,(not to say that couldn't happen) but we'll hopefully be doing more of these longer rides in the future. Plus, I'd like to attempt one of the famous rallies such as the Utah 1088, you know what I'm talking about.

Last Saturday,Henry & I got caught,(ok went looking for the snow) and the bikes just got slimed w/ mule snot/muck/snow etc. The bikes were so dirty that it'd be half difficult to buy such a pretty bike,(the r1100s replica) and have it get that filthy. I would not be surprised to see that bike end up in a Guggenheim art show.

I REALLY want to do this trip. My concern is that I get bored driving cross country in a car and I don't know how I will be on the bike with the added pressure of the time constraint. The trial run to Minnesota will help sort that out.

A couple of questions.

I know you are tenatively planning on 5/24-6/01. Is that to take advantage of the 3 day weekend? That also means more people doing their holiday travel too - more vehicles on the roads. It could be in the high 90's or low 100's in Arizona, New Mexico and Texas. I've gone to the Republic of Texas ralley in Austin, Texas which is held the first weekend in June several times and it has been uncomfortable even in Harley riding gear - half helmet, tshirt and jeans. Living up here we are spoiled with the weather (in the summer), but after living Texas for the last 10 years I know it can get pretty warm by the end of May. Just a thought.

Do you plan on getting/using radios to communicate bike-to-bike? I have a Nady MRC-11 that I have used several times and it does a good job up to about 85mph when the wind noise starts to make it difficult to hear. But it is really good at slower speeds. The Nady unit is a lot cheaper than Chatterbox or the others. It retails for $129 but we got them for $85-$90 on the net. It is a handheld unit with a earpiece/mike and a push-to-talk button. I have put the handheld unit in my jacket pocket, on my belt or in my tankbag.

What are is your tenative schedule? Friday night and Saturday to San Diego? Sunday/Monday for the 50cc and Tuesday thru Sunday to sightsee and get back home? Or were you planning on resting a day in San Diego before leaving?

Harry,
    Did you notice many miles are on that CBR in the Springs? The one I have been looking at is a '96 with less than 3700 miles. They are asking $4799. It is the black/charcoal gray color. I think I would like the red better. You're right about the BMW race replica being too pretty of a bike but that white and blue really grabs me.

Gary

Gary,
    You can do this ride! We can all do this ride! We'll entertain ourselves by picking on Henry

Obviously bike selection, tunes, the ability to communicate w/ one another will all help. Touch base w/ Henry....Henry, ya got your ears on??
    re: communication devices. I have a CB and will likley be using that in addition to Henry's creativity w/ the family channel units from Motorola, but your system may be better. Also, speeds above 85mph will be of short durations. My preferance would be for all of us to use cb's as we can also be entertained by truckers.

Call Apex in Colorado Springs for the mileage,(sorry I did not check) Although the bike you've found sounds like a great buy.

You are right re: temps. NO way around it, we'll get hot. With good gear,(such as evaporative shirts etc) and the ability to drink while riding we'll be ok. Plus, we should cover a considerable distance of the desert @ night.
    Yes then we can look forward to the humidity, but hey, that's why only 209 people have done this ride thus far :wink:

The dates were designed so we could all have 9 days to do this ride and take advantage of the Memorial Day Holiday. Most of us should only have to use 4 days of vacation time to get the 9 days off. It is also designed to have ample time to get to the starting point and give us both rest and a more relaxing pace to get home. Yes I-10 is boring for parts of it. Other sections east of Houston aren't bad. We're still in the planning stage of return route, but I gave a few suggestions to Henry earlier,(he's shy and prefers e-mails to this forum) Anyhoo, I suggested: Returning to New Orleans, or going to Hilton Head and the Dragon and then avoiding super slab on way home. It's all open for discussion.

As far as getting to SanDiego to travel West to East,(which was not the easiest decision, but it currently is felt for numerous reasons that we should travel that way) I'd like to see others that may just want to go to Vegas ride out with us. We can spend the night their and relax or crank it up to San Diego and chill out their prior to departure. Remember, although this is a very tough ride, it is my opinion that it will only be the 1st leg of the trip,(getting to Houston) that'll be so difficult. The 2nd & last leg will be a breeze!

Memorial Day is the 26th, our big day for traveling. We'll need to watch out for drunks and yes we will have an increase in traffic. That should only be an issue in the biggest cities. We'll schedule our departure to avoid # 1 Houston's traffic both entering and leaving that city. We'll likley miss San Antonio's evening rush hour too. I think,(I'm not looking @ a map) that leaves El-Paso and Tucson to contend with which should not be too big of a deal.

I'd like to suggest that people interstested in doing this 50CC get together. Perhaps we could check out the MC show 12/21 or 12/22 and then grab a bite to eat to further discuss our options. Just think Gary, you could be the 1 and only person to ever ride a 50CC on a Super Hawk and surely you'd get your pic in Red Rider magazine
    Yes, I know it'd be cooler to get your pic in Iron Horse Chopper rag but ya gotta start somewhere.

The Duluth ride besides being a practice ride for those that have not had the pleasure of sitting in the saddle for so long will also enable us to be registered w/ the IBA and is actually required to have a documented saddle sore 1K prior to doing the official 50cc,(thanks for checking that out HT) So, this is what you can earn: a license plate frame from the IBA,(like Dietrich has-yes even posers can get those apparently )
    You can also earn,(if you pay for it) a SS1K, BBgold and the 50CC plaque/pins etc. Plus the Dragon pin. Not a bad way to spend 9 days :!:

Hmmm... hmmmmmmmm...

Well, I might be in for this - but I definitely want to try some smaller trips first to build myself up for it. Actually I would consider taking my superhawk on this one (just drop it in 6th and cruise) just for the novelty of it, but I'd want some modifications first, like a new seat, clipons, higher windscreen, cruise control :mrgreen:, and some feet hangers on the front. Oh, and a jerry can strapped to the back... hahaha. We'll see, maybe the yamy will be ready soon and I can start riding that around - I'm still disassembling it at the moment, but the engine feels in top shape (not running yet, but it cranks under battery power just fine).

I know 500 miles would be ok, so I'd say a 1k would be good to try out, though I definitely either want my cruiser running, or my hawk modified before that.

Also - what is the proposed route, anyway? Denver to someplace in Cali I assume (but how? May as well make a nice NW-coast loop back down and enjoy the scenery, with 9 days I'm all for it), then the clock starts. Cali, through TX (by the way Harry, I've driven in San Antonio's rush hour before - it's like sunday afternoon around here, shit you'll think you're out in the country compared to Denver traffic - no worries!), I agree New Orleans would be a good stop, especially for some food in the french quarter if there's time to shoot down that way (not sure how the interstates run through there). Prolly just a straight shot over to some place in Florida by way of hillbilly country (I don't know any Florida geography as to where the closest coastal stop would be from there). Then how were you planning to get back home? Any way you shake it there will be a whole lotta nothin in the middle of that leg. However once completing the requirements in Florida (for several types of awards it would seem), I think some SLEEP and relaxation on a beach for an afternoon would be niiiiice. Bikes 'n babes ... what more do you need!

I'm actually getting myself psyched up for this, assuming I can stay employed between now and then and can build up my tolerance with some smaller rides, I think I'm in!

Oh in response to a previous post Harry, this forum will stay here as long as you want it to. Might change the name of it to a more generic touring category, but there are enough people in the club who like to take trips that I think it'll be worthwhile.

Saweet! Now we can have 2 SUPERHAWKS!!!! :wink:

Unless I come into some $$$ I'll likely be on the Ultra Classic Electra Glide which as mentioned earlier does not get a great tank range and thus I was planning on carrying extra fuel which I'll carry for the Hawks too if needed,(being an ex-owner I still have a soft spot for those awesome bikes).

Mods are a must though on everyone's bike! I'm sending in my "touring seat" to Sargent MC saddles for a denser foam. Henry's already got his cruise control for .50 cents figured out and is working out the radio deal.

Is limiting the # of riders needed? Maybe. Maybe not. Of primary concern depending on total # of riders is a break down plan. ie. what do people want to do with this? Should we partner up meaning if a Zookie tranny fails should one of us stay while the others complete the ride??
    I think so. However...I will not stay with a rider that just peeters out, but I don't see that as really happening. I know all of you that have posted here and have ridden with all but one of you and that guy currently has the fastest bike out of all of us and has a new Corbin to boot :!:
    The other concern should we get more than say 5 riders,(I think only 5 people have verbalized interest) is gas station stops and timing....

Obviously you know by now if you've read any stories from the IBA or similar that you have to plan things like gas stops. Ideally we'll need a 45 minute stop so we can actually get off the bikes and get something good to eat,(Power Bars are good for the 1st 18-20 hours only) and refresh mind and body. To make this happen our gast stops can't be longer than 20 minutes,(and it actualy may be less than that depending on frequency needed. Can a Super Hawk traveling no faster than 85mph get 125miles??

I'll need to fill and we tentativley have planned stops in between the 150-175 mile range. Assuming with a planned running out of gas on the Hawks and you add 1 gallon in a quick,(like 3 minute) fill up to get to the planned stop I think everything will be fine.

It's been difficult to make final plans as the only commitments that I know of thus far is myself and Henry.

This I know......I think- Leaving Denver by way of Vegas,(maybe spending the night especially if Vegas # 3 people want to just go play in Sin city) and arriving San Diego no latter than dinner time on the 25th.

Most likely leave San Diego early enough on the Holiday,(or just before midnight) to arrive in Houston no later than 11pm,(with the thought being we can avoid both rush hours in Houston and escape that city no later than 5:30 am & get 6 hours sleep) FREE LODGING/FOOD in HOUSTON.

Arrive Jacksonville 850 miles (+ or-) later and RELAX. That gives us 5 days to kick back,(and the beach sounds great to me) and get home the scenic way.

SO, YOU'RE ALL GOING TO THE INTERNATIONAL MC SHOW ANYHOW RIGHT?? LET'S PICK A TIME AND DATE AND PLAN TO MEET UP THEIR AND AFTERWARDS DRINK A BEER TO GET MORE INPUT. or........

Let's pick a poser run and get together for suggestions such as best route home? Anyone have connections in either coast that'd be willing to sleep us? etc.