Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Thread: 50cc - Ya Baby!!!!

Well, I do have a meter at home that can probably tell.

38 amps is about right for a bike (for reference - a lot of cars ar 90 amps with a lot more crap running in them)... One thing I want to do is convert everything besides the headlight to LED's, since their current drain is miniscule by comparison. That will free up a lot of juice for other things.

If you're taking the HD then I definitely have to take the hawk, can't be having an HD with the best sounding pipes in the group... What do you have electrical-wise on the bike right now that's non-stock?

Harry, check these two links out. One is a replacement lamp assembly for you passing lamps. The other is a halogen bulb for your factory passing lamps. There may be other people (including PIAA) that make a high output replacement lamp.

http://www.weekendconcepts.com/hd2.htm

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...=1039113081270

My glide lights up like a Christmas tree! Non-stock would include: Lights covering the front brake discs; and a multiple light assembly around the saddlebags, trunk etc,(which I can turn on & off). The only other thing I run non-stock would be an electric vest/glove combo.

Chances are the bike can and has handled all of these for 16K miles without a hiccup.

However, there's a chance I'd be running all the above, cruise control, stereo, cb player, stock driving lights, cigar lighter, GPS, radar and additional driving lights and thought I may be pushing it!!!
    The last 3 items mentioned I don't currently own.

Thanks Gary, I'll check that out as I would not be needing additional lights if I could make my existing driving lights significantly brighter.

I was farting out C. Springs BMW this evening and saw a GS with additional driving lights and looked @ how they had mounted them including the simple switch. It looked pretty straight forward.

Oh and how could I forget.......

Although the S-Hawk certainly has a great sound, mine reminded me of a muscle car-you can't touch this!!!!

Your Hawk won't even be heard so you might want to go back to stock for the trip. :wink:

I do hope you end up on the Hawk though. You could steal some of the thunder from them R6 boys.

Tell you what I'm willing to do.......$600 + seems a little steep for a larger gas tank, you buy my celebratory dinner somwhere along the Atlantic and I'll carry your gas!. I figure I could eat, smoke, drink for oh say, $100 and you'd be saving $500 big ones. :!:
    Then, because you'd have all this extra $$ you could take the crew out to a fine local establishment :wink:

Harry, harry...

I never said my superhawk was the *loudest* bike out of the group. Just that it sounded the best... :mrgreen:

Go back to stock pipes? NEVER!!!! bwahahaha No seriously that would suck, I lost a lot of weight going with the carbons (plus the other gains, like power and sound - even handling without all that extra steel hanging out there) and the stock cans are never going back on as long as I own the bike.

I'll keep your dinner thing in the back off my mind, or start a bidding war for carrying my gas. I do want to check around though, sometimes these things come up used, and it's a general bitch about the bike anyway so I wouldn't just be replacing it for this trip.

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Landing Zone Confirmed

Let me say this first.....

Glad to hook up with youz guyz @ the 'Koop'. Nice to meet those I had never met prior to this gathering of fellow rider brethren :!:

Harry, Henry, Ralph, et. al.

I spoke with my bud Jay in Fontana, CA. We have an ALL CLEAR to land at the Fontana, CA site on Sat PM. BBQ, Brew, & Jacuzzi will be available (bring foam pad & sleeping bag).

Harry:

It was a VERY good idea to get the bunch together prior to take-off. THIS WILL HAPPEN.

If I don't see you in the future -- I'll see you in the pasture.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Definitely, it was great to meet you guys (well except Harry anyway)! :mrgreen:

If we know the date we will need the witnesses in San Diego and Jacksonville (I think we do now?) can someone post the final answer? I already have 2 people in SD that can serve as witnesses and my thread has only been out there for about an hour; so, people should not be an issue.

I'm also rounding up some folks on the superhawk list for some Gap riding or something like that.

On gas, I found out I can get the 5 gal tank the new canada/UK superhawks are getting for around $340 US new, so I need to call some salvage yards in far away places and see if I can find a used one. That will at least give me around a 160 mile range. (Though will gaining 20-30 miles really be worth that cost? Guys I need your input on this, since no one else will be able to go past that point whether I have a 6 gal tank or not.)

Mmmm, getting exciting!

ok jeff; **nice possum** while in TX i'm sure we'll see some armadillos in similar formats...

it was great to gather at the Wyn today... good to put some names to faces. jeff; at your earliest please send me the address for your bud Jay. just another bit of info to tweak the map.

the biggest tweak to all the routes will be fuel range limitation. here is where we stand with what we've got....
    jeff's range is probably the best of all (he'll give us numbers runnin' dry)
    harry's u-glide hangs about 180 (his Yam close to 200 nd MUCH faster)
    ralph's s-hawk is probably around 160 (bigger tank would be good)
    my_RF is conservatively holding to 200

happiness would be about 200; a lot of time is lost fueling more often. then again, headwinds can really suck up gas...

here is the sched we discussed...

depart denver on 24 may @0500 -> arrive fontana on 24 may @1630

depart fontana on 25 may @1030 -> arrive sandiego on 25 may @1215

(relax for a couple of hours with a nice meal, some kind of brisk activity to init the body for some slumber, check in at a hotel (tbd) at about 1400, <<<sleep>>>, get up about 2100, suit-up, meet with our witness, fuel-up, sand and water, AND...)

depart sandiego on 25 may @2200 -> arrive hou on 26 may @2030 (15 minute fuel stops include fuel/potty/snack by STOPWATCH)

(final fuel for documentation, connect with witness, sleep for about 6 hours, get up about 0330, suit-up, AND...)

depart hou on 27 may @0400 -> arrive jackv on 27 may @1630 (20 minute fuel stops include fuel/potty/snack by STOPWATCH)

(sand and water, final fuel for documentation, and connect with witness, and SLEEP)

things that are outstanding....
    1. hotel in San D (there is Mission Valley Motel 6 (#14 in the Motel 6 Directory) is at 2424 Hotel Circle North, which is right along I-8 at the Taylor Street exit about 2 miles from the Mobil station in Ocean Beach. a 'buddy system' would help to keep things movin' on sched...
    2. witness(es) in San D
    3. hotel in Jacksonv (Jacksonville Beach-Days Inn Oceanfront Resort
    1031 S. First St.,Jacksonville Beach, FL is just down the street from the beach access and fuel station....)

4. witness(es) in Jacksonv
    5. fuel range to be used for planning
    6. ideas for the return trip (date, speed, route, etc)

still thinking....
    henry

Ok...

My range, as it stands now, is not 160. Riding conservatively I can get 140 before the RLOD comes on, and even then my last tank was about 115. Of course I've been doing a lot of wheelies these days...

I have SD taken care of for people. Still working on J-ville.

Can you work out, with the 15 minute stops, what our average speed should be between stops? That way we can time it and adjust if necessary along the way, plus I'm actually really curious. Can your software do this automatically? If not I'd be happy to add it all up. Basically I'd like to see the difference between 140 mile stops, and 200 mile stops.

A bigger tank is my first option. Fuel cells are nice, but expensive, and I think I still need to worry about refuelling on the side of the road once I run out don't I? Plus I still have to carry external fuel - whether it's leak proof or not, it's still something highly flammable that isn't contained in a metal enclosure. I could just be overly paranoid about hauling fuel around, I just have this mental picture of fire, which would be bad. (Probably seen too many crash photos, but hey if it keeps me safe...)

We should also plan some contigencies for weather. Not sure what at this point, but what happens if (more likely - when) it either monsoons so bad we can't see the road, hails, or worse? I think I posted previously that we picked the heat of storm season to be cruising through some of the most severe-weather-prone areas of the country. That can eat up a lot of time so we should plan accordingly, and possibly even have some backup routes mapped out in case we need to divert around a storm. Remember, storms down there don't act like ones up here - they are bigger, nastier, and the hail is f'in HUGE (i.e. we cannot ride in it). Fortunately I know some storm chasing folks down there who can give me storm info (like the direction we should take) if the need arises, but premapped routes would be awesome, like maybe a "just a bit north" and "just a bit south" route if we need to take a state highway for 30 miles or something.

That's all I can think of now...

Ditto, ditto to one and all. My lunch and beer for that matter sucked, but we did have some success and will likely have 1-2 more in person meetings,(perhaps a ride or 2 not counting the NEEDED SS1K!!)

Ralph, fine job locating witnesses. REMEMBER...we need a back up group or cop!! If we use civilians that are not IBA members, it takes 3 people to witness. Cop=just 1 person as does an IBA member. Assuming we end up w/ a group of 3 to witness us @ the start, we STILL NEED a back up goup!!

Jeff, Excellent suggestion and quick work getting us Fontana!!
    We are also a GO for lodging in Houston.
    As fas as never seeing me ride before....don't worry- I promise to show you my rear tire once we hit the Dragon,(assuming I'm on the FZ1) and since your bike has tons of bhp, you might even see it for a whopping 30 seconds before it disappears from your field of vision

Speaking of FZ1...I think I could also get us a witness in Florida out of this group, but would prefer an actual IBA member.

I woke up this morning @ 5:30am and felt VERY refreshed.

ARE WE ALL 100% CERTAIN/CLEAR/OK that we'd prefer to start this ride @ 10pm vs 5AM?????? Remember, it is lack of sleep/fatigue/hallucinations/bad weather/heat/construction zones/boredom that will all take their toll on us. VS just HEAT!!!!!!!

Yes, so we've all stayed awake for 24+ hours before. How many of us have done that on a bike for that entire time????????

I saw something in Ralph's eye's that reminded me of me when he heard our planned start time. We need to get past the STUD factor here. Henry and Jeff state this is not an issue for them. Fine.

I say we create our best luck/skill we can- and currently none of us awakens @ 9:30 pm to go to work! but we're all up by 5:30 am. That being said, our we creating this unnatural time to awaken just to avoid the heat???? IT'S NOT THE HEAT THAT'LL GET US.....IT'S THE MONSTER'S IN OUR MIRRORS!!!!!!!!!
    Think about it!!!!!!!!!! If one of us fails to stay awake and wadds themselves good. All of our rides most certainly will stop!

Heh, yeah having followed Harry (and kept up fairly well I think) that will be amusing in the gap for sure!

Here is the thing about leaving at 10pm vs 5am. Well, shit it sucks either way. Leaving at 10pm, we're doing the night part first and hitting the daylight later on in the leg to Houston. If we leave at 5am we wind up doing the last half of our run to Houston in the dark, which we'll be more tired (hence prone to hallucination and seeing the boogeymen in the mirrors) for.

I think being the end of May, the heat won't be nearly as bad as July, so that isn't my main concern. I have a mesh jacket, t shirts, and I can strap a nalgene bottle to the bike to spray myself down with if need be. My main concern is safety, and yes anyone wadding up on this would be a bad thing for everyone.

I dunno, I think getting the part where we are most prone to not seeing that pickup pull out in front of us out of the way while we're as awake as possible is the way to go. But the unnatural sleep thing is part of it too, and here's the other part of that, we're going to be dramatically swinging our sleep schedules around on this trip, for the entire time. That will happen anyway because of the limited sleep available to drive to Florida.

Also - witnesses. If we leave at 5am I guarantee you I can't drag some biker out of bed to come sign a piece of paper. Also if we arrive in Florida in the middle of the night, same thing. Whereas leaving at 10pm from SD and getting in J-town sometime in the evening will be fine...

I dunno, I think we may just have to bite the bullet and deal with it that one hardcore night. Maybe some endurance training in the meantime? I.e. stay up for 24 hours, take trips on the bike, try not to drink coffee, etc to condition our bodies to "hell day". The rest of the trip will be a lot easier that way too.

Yeah I probably had that look in my eyes, still do occasionally. However let's not kid ourselves, this is a BIG ride! That reaction is warranted I think. Also we don't need to be macho or whatever, but will probably need to keep each other charged up about it as we go... Especially towards the end of that 24 hour leg, the CB radios will become very nice at that point.

ON GPS's: Who here has one? I sold mine several months ago on eBay (the joys of being unemployed) and have wanted to get another one, but they are pricey. We don't all need GPS's either (we should all have paper maps of everything, maybe I print up a little "black book" of trip info for everyone?) but someone should have one.

Good points.

However, once we become worthy-meaning once we are OFFICIAL IBA members after having completed and sent in the goods for the SS1K, then the world and current IBA members will surely meet us @ anytime if we ask. That's what's so cool about them.

So, Ralph just to clarify, are you wanting 10pm vs 5am?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Biker
    Good points.

However, once we become worthy-meaning once we are OFFICIAL IBA members after having completed and sent in the goods for the SS1K, then the world and current IBA members will surely meet us @ anytime if we ask. That's what's so cool about them.

So, Ralph just to clarify, are you wanting 10pm vs 5am?
    Good point on the SS1K. Lots of time still... I have not found anyone in Jacksonville yet FYI, having an IBA member there would be cool (especially one who knows a place with a hot tub).

I guess if you look at it from a sleep-normality standpoint, 5am is easier. Logistically and safety wise I wonder if 10pm is better tho?

I suggest this........
    When Henry arranges for us to do the SS1K in the Spring,(you can take that on can't you Henry)? Let's do it @ 10pm!! Obviously we will only be doing 2/3'rds of the bad boy, but we'll know how we feel pretty much after 1K.

So....when are we doing the SS1K HT??

Bummer dude ......

Harry Biker wrote:

My lunch and beer for that matter sucked........
    You should have sent it back ................
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

Re: Bummer dude ......

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja
    Harry Biker wrote:

My lunch and beer for that matter sucked........
    You should have sent it back ................
    Personally, I feel my Breakfast Burrito was taaasty! The iced tea was, well, iced tea. Didn't have beer (I don't drink and ride, no exceptions).

rforsythe wrote:

I don't drink and ride, no exceptions
    I'll drink to that

answers to questions (i think...)

greetings all,
    the yello sub just docked for a few hours....

>>>i will do the comparison of the 1st leg of the 50cc (i.e. 140 range vs 200 range) and email the results (turn4turn with miles and 15min fuel/potty/snack frames...) to whom ever wishes by cob (2100) on thurs.

>>>i will map out a route for the spring 1kss with southern destinations of our choice (i.e. big triangle or box...) so as to exploit an earlier date to do it and utilize locals for our witness program... give me some ideas !?!?

>>>i like the hours/times that i've posted but then again, i'm
    biased... :wink:

fontana address?

got to put in a baseboard heater now...

keep on thinkin'
    henry

Yada yada yada

Fontana, CA Address:

<deleted, so there!>

towneh wrote:

>>>i will map out a route for the spring 1kss with southern destinations of our choice (i.e. big triangle or box...) so as to exploit an earlier date to do it and utilize locals for our witness program... give me some ideas !?!?
    I like the idea of a triangle route. I'd rather stay in the boarders of the Columbine State. However, if need be here is an idea:

Wichita, KS for lunch = 520mi one way from Denver

WEATHER PERMITTING -- Do it around the shortest day of the year (12/21). Leave EARLY (4:00 AM) and get a taste of NIGHT riding.

And from where I live I can tack on another 70 miles.

thanx for the idea jeff.... unfortunately, i've already got a commitment on the 21st and my spouse would be VERY unhappy if i blew it off!!! i'll map your route idea with all the features sometime Friday (if all goes well).

back to the yello sub,
    henry

btw, thanx for the Fonatna address.

Ok, on the SS1k ... I assume we need witnesses for that as well, ya? I can produce as many as we need in Albuquerque at any time. The tricky part with the triangle is getting the checkpoints right with people who will sign your form. That's 511mi from Ft Collins (can get people up there too), or we could start further south and do a triangle if the midpoint has people?

On the timing of the ss1k - I can't do it on the 21st. I've seen night riding. Personally, I'd prefer to do this after it warms up a little, riding for 1000 miles when it's between 10-20 degrees at night is not my idea of fun. At least in sunlight I can pretend I'm getting warmer, but having to ride all night with a visor cracked so it doesn't fog up isn't cool to me. Besides I kinda thought the ss1K was a bit later in the plans anyway, like we were going to try some distance rides without quite so much pressure first?

SS1K Timeing Is Everything

rforsythe wrote:

I kinda thought the ss1K was a bit later in the plans anyway
    I need to watch my valve setting interval. Currently I am at about 6K away from having to set the valves, plugs, carbs, etc. I need to plan on performing this service close to the Memorial Day weekend. My tread is also of concern. The tires will have to be changed out at that time too. This should get the bike through the whole 50cc Quest.

Contrary to the moniker supplied by this website, weekend riding is NOT what I, nor my bike, are all about. I figure that I'll have an additional 6K on the bike by mid May or sooner if I do a couple of SS1K's.

Weather permitting, I am planing on riding to Witchita, KS on 12/21/02 just for kicks. At 7 hours (420 minutes) for 520 miles the average speed calulates to be 74.29 mph. I plan on 8 hours one way. It will be interesting to see what my average speed will be per gas receipts sooooo...............onward through the fog.

Jeff,
    From the sounds of it..you are currently the King or rather the Iron Buttocks of the CSC,(based on your mileage on your '02 bike) I believe I put on 15K, but that was on 4 of them and that is not a great year. I am planning a mileage contest for '03 so be ready

But,(and excuse me if I misread your post) There ain't no way you're gonna have > 74 mph average speed on your little run 12/21. However, I'd be willing to be 1/3 starting witnesses for you should you need it.

As far as the group's Spring time Saddle Sore,(I'm going surgical in 1.5 days & will be off the bike for awhile) we only need a starting and ending witness which can be in the same location,(if we loop or triangle etc) I believe a bike shop also can work as a witness and they should be willing to hit our end mileage.

Bike prep will be an issue for all. Endurance riding is not cheap. If you're lucky you can stretch out certain items to time things like tires/chains etc. Henry's screwed for tires as he will need between 5-6 between today and 21 weeks from now...Ya BABY!!!!!
    Everyone will likely need something!. For chain rear drive riders,(potentially 1/2 the group or more) you may need a chain too. At the very least carry a chain tool and a new link,(can today's high powered chains be repaired on the road)?

My vote for the Saddle sore would be Southbound,(since we can do it earlier that Duluth) We should plan on having and trying out all the goodies you plan to do the 50CC with.

Notice it said 8 hours - not 7

Harry Biker wrote:

There ain't no way you're gonna have > 74 mph average speed...
    The 74.24 mph was average for 7 hours. I said 8 hours which is the following:

520 mi in 480 min for and avg. speed of 65.0.

Most of CO and KS is 75 out there with VERY few towns in between.

Here's a cool calulator to figure this crapola out.

http://pages.prodigy.net/jack.loganbill/mph.htm