Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please RIDE SAFE!

Re: Please RIDE SAFE!

Yes, a sad but important post to read. I know for sure that I'll be signing up for that class if it is going on while I'm home!!
    ~Jess~
    2010 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
    2008 Kawi GREEN Ninja 650R

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    Sometimes things happen beyond our power and we can't make it. Like...your brake lines "accidentally" get cut, or a nice man comes through your window in the middle of the night and politely suggests you withdraw from the activity...who knows?

Back in Illinois at SIU in Carbondale (as well as several other locations throughout the state), there was a very popular FREE non-profit MSF basic rider course. I got out here and found the same course for $300 something... for a weekend course, that certainly gives college tuition a run for its money and I can understand some new riders being discouraged. Is there any alternative to high cost around here?

Great post, and yea be safe out there guys.. theres enough people out there that wanna kill you as it is
    "If you love something, let it go... If it comes back to you, you've just high sided!"

'01 GSXR 750~Scorpion Exhaust~Carbon rear wheel cover, chain guard, intake, mirrors and signals~Targa Windscreen

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    It's all just statistics. Depending on how you look at the data you can draw different conclusions. The underlying fact is that riders are still dying, regardless. The military has stepped up with their sport bike program on bases, for that I applaud their attempt to be proactive. Perhaps it's time the civil side took notice. We've already had a few of our own post up about crashing this season.

Very true and thanks for making mention of this. The military is very concerned for the safety of our soldiers, and specifically in this case, the Marines. You can see that the course is not limited to sportbikes. To the contrary, all riders are welcome to participate. American Legion magazine will be doing a full story on this training and sending it out to 2.5 million members in the near future.

This is our second week out here on the west coast and believe me, it is not all beach, bikes and babes. There is a lot of sweeping of sand off the range, too! Somebody send me a new pair of gloves

Ralph, thanks for taking the time to go to the CDOT/CSP meeting and providing us with this information.
    MSF-RiderCoach,TOTAL CONTROL Advanced Riding Clinic-Level 1/Level 2 Instructor

Ricky Orlando Motorcycle School,
    Rider Workshop-USA

Suspension Academy Graduate 1 + 1 = 3
    Writer, 2008 MRA Season Program-Feature Article, "The Colorado Sportbike Club"
    *Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Member: AMA
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

Quote Originally Posted by Casper View Post
    Back in Illinois at SIU in Carbondale (as well as several other locations throughout the state), there was a very popular FREE non-profit MSF basic rider course. I got out here and found the same course for $300 something... for a weekend course, that certainly gives college tuition a run for its money and I can understand some new riders being discouraged. Is there any alternative to high cost around here?
    In Nevada the BRC is $100 and the ERC is $50. Go figure, same M.O.S.T. certification courses as recognized by most states in the Union.
    MSF-RiderCoach,TOTAL CONTROL Advanced Riding Clinic-Level 1/Level 2 Instructor

Ricky Orlando Motorcycle School,
    Rider Workshop-USA

Suspension Academy Graduate 1 + 1 = 3
    Writer, 2008 MRA Season Program-Feature Article, "The Colorado Sportbike Club"
    *Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Member: AMA
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

The MSF course does work. But how many people, after riding the 125's in class with full gear, will show up to their favorite hangout, and get heckled by the "bro's" about their bike and over use of safety gear. After riding 500mi or close to it, they are experienced riders. Time for an upgrade. 750lb. cruiser, 1000cc sportbike...hop on! It also seems alot of people already have their bikes picked out before they even are enrolled for the class. Their are many fingers that can be pointed, but what it comes down to is knowledge. Knowledge people do not recieve withour proper guidance.
    Last edited by kawasakirob; Thu Jun 28th, 2012 at 05:54 PM.