Thread: Replacing foot pegs DIY

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

Replacing foot pegs DIY

So easy, a girl can do it.

Why replace my stock foot pegs? My riding comfort level has changed, because the foot peg sometimes scrapes and it freaks me out to the point that as I'm leaning into a turn, I begin to fear what might happen.

In my case, I tend to scrape more often on the right, than on the left.

The following are instructions in replacing stock foot pegs with adjustable foot pegs:

1. Get your tools and parts ready. Tools: needle nose pliers and Alan wrench. Parts: MFW Vario Adjustable Mounts and Pegs

2. Old peg height from the ground with the kick stand down.

3. Remove the C-clip from underneath the foot peg assembly. It may take a few tries, because the pliers don't grab hold right away. Push the nose in between the clip and the pin and pull outward until there is enough room to wedge the nose of the pliers in completely and begin pulling up and out.

4. All the old parts that can be re-used include the pin, the spring, and the clip. Be sure to place the spring in the proper position along with the mounting bracket before you replace the pin. Because the spring doesn't just fall into place, I had to use the back end of the pliers to push it down into place, so that the pin could be pushed all the way through the assembly.

5. Replace the C-clip. I use the pliers again at this point and tried to gently squeeze the clip back into place. Be careful at this point, because the pliers can pop off while squeezing, which they did when I was replacing the clip and my finger got in the way.

6. Next, you'll want to decide the position of the displacement arm (in my case, these are 23mm) on the mounting bracket (yes, I know this pic shows the mounting bracket without the spring...I forgot it the first time and had to remove it and then place the spring in its proper position).
    Last edited by mtnairlover; Sat Apr 25th, 2009 at 07:52 PM.
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

Re: Replacing foot pegs DIY

7. Completed assembly of mounting bracket and displacement arm.

8. Completed assembly of bracket, arm and peg.

9. Side by side comparison of the old peg and new peg length.

10. New peg height from the ground with the kick stand down.

Observances: The new pegs stick out further, but they are higher from the ground and sit back a bit. Will the new foot peg length mean that there will still be a problem with scraping? I guess time and riding will tell. I'm just hoping for my comfort level to return.
    Last edited by mtnairlover; Sat Apr 25th, 2009 at 10:08 PM.

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

hey,thank you for this info.

So which adjustable pegs did you get? I picked up a recommended replacement set of pegs which dropped them down about a half inch which have been comfortable enough.

Nice write up and sorry to see the blood blister. Sucks, doesn't it

Carl

Long Distance Gear Checklist 2002 Hayabusa - Now with 100,000+ miles!

Quote Originally Posted by dm_gsxr View Post
    So which adjustable pegs did you get? I picked up a recommended replacement set of pegs which dropped them down about a half inch which have been comfortable enough.

Nice write up and sorry to see the blood blister. Sucks, doesn't it

Carl
    Yeah, it does suck. Weird thing is that it only hurt when it happened and now it's just numb. I added a link to my write up for the pegs. They're the MFW Vario Adjustable pegs and mounts. The displacement arms are 23mm. The mounting brackets adjust to 8 different positions.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnairlover View Post
    I guess time and riding will tell. I'm just hoping for my comfort level to return.
    Nice write-up!

I scraped mine pretty hard @ pueblo the other weekend...and slowed way down after that...I need my comfort to return as well...