Thread: For Passengers

For Passengers

I read this and and thought it would be some good info for 2 up riders and new passengers.

TIPS FOR THE MOTORCYCLE PASSENGER
    (Or How To Get Invited To Go Riding Again)
    By Chuck Hawks

Riding on a motorcycle with a friend is one of the most fun things you can do. It can be an even more enjoyable experience if the passenger understands and follows a few simple rules. To be the kind of passenger riders want to ride with, remember the following:

1. Wear clothing that will give you some protection in the unlikely event of a spill. As a minimum, you should wear the following to protect yourself:

• Footwear that protects your feet and your ankles (hiking boots are good).
    • Durable pants--leather is best; lacking leather, you will have to make do with jeans, work pants, or something similar.
    • An abrasion resistant jacket that zips or buttons up close to the neck (again, leather is best if you have it; a nylon flight jacket or parka are satisfactory, and a Levis-type jacket will do in a pinch).
    • Durable gloves.
    • Eye protection--ideally, the helmet you borrow or own should have a face shield for comfort as well as protection. If it does not, goggles are good, and glasses (dark or prescription) will do.

2. You should also attempt to dress appropriately for the weather. If you have not ridden very much, you probably do not realize how hot or how cold it can be on a motorcycle. If it is hot, it will feel a lot hotter while you are riding; if it is cold, it will feel a lot colder while you are riding. Ask the rider for advice about dressing for the anticipated conditions, but don't compromise your minimum level of protection as described above.

On hot sunny days, one trick is to wear an extra large white shirt over your jacket. It will reflect a lot of heat and help keep you cool. In general, it is easier to dress safely and comfortably for a cool day than for a hot one. Lastly, don't wear anything loose and floppy (like a long scarf or bell bottom pants) that could get caught in the rear wheel, sprockets, drive chain or belt, or any other moving part of the motorcycle. You could injure yourself, and might cause an accident.

3. Wear a securely fastened helmet that fits properly. Most riders have extra helmets and will be glad to loan you one. A helmet should be a snug fit; it should not be possible to twist it around on your head. The strap should be pulled as tight as you can get it. You can test for fit, and to see if the strap is tight, like this: grasp the chinbar of a full coverage helmet, or the edge of an open face helmet directly over your forehead, and try to pull the helmet backwards off your head. If the helmet winds up on the back of your head, tighten the strap or get a helmet that fits.

The rider can show you how to put on your helmet properly and easily (you kind of roll it onto your head from the front). If you ride often, you will eventually want to buy your own helmet. Just about any motorcycle shop can help you pick out a suitable helmet that fits you correctly.

4. Before you attempt to mount the motorcycle, make sure that the passenger footpegs are down. (They fold up when not in use, and it is easy for the rider to forget to put them down for you.) If you don't know where the footpegs are, have the rider point them out to you.

Also, beware of the hot exhaust pipes. Make sure you know where they are, and don't let your leg or any part of your body touch them as you mount or dismount the motorcycle. They can give you a severe burn right through the heaviest pants.

5. It is customary to get on or off the motorcycle from the left side. Always wait for the rider to tell you it's okay to mount or dismount. If you start to clamber on (or off) when the rider does not expect it, the sudden motion of the motorcycle will be disconcerting. You could even pull the motorcycle over, a big no-no.

6. Here is the best way to get on a motorcycle, and the method almost all passengers should use: extend your right leg over the seat, and then slide gently up onto the seat. Put your feet on the footpegs and you are onboard!

If you are not able to do that because you are a tiny person or a child, this will work: put your left foot on the left passenger foot peg, lean your body way over the motorcycle, and gently step up until you can swing your right leg over the seat and ease yourself down. You must keep your body low and lean over the motorcycle as much as possible while you get on, to help the rider keep the motorcycle balanced. The weight of your body, if it is too far out of line with the weight of the motorcycle, could pull the bike over, still a big no-no.

A person reasonably close to normal size (male or female) should not need to use this method to mount a motorcycle, and a heavy person should not attempt it under any circunstances. It is all a question of balance; the rider is not strong enough to force a big motorcycle to stay upright if you cause it to get out of balance.

To dismount, just reverse the process you used to get on. With a little practice, getting on and off will become second nature.

7. Once you are on the motorcycle, plant your feet on the passenger footpegs and keep them there. You absolutely do not want to bring your foot into contact with the rear wheel, drive chain or belt, or the hot muffler. Never attempt to help the rider hold the bike upright when it is stopped. Keep your feet safe by keeping them on the foot pegs at all times.

8. Place your hands on the rider's hips. That is the best way to hold on to the rider, and it keeps you in touch with the rider's movements. Keep your weight centered over the motorcycle. Try not to move around any more than is necessary, particularly when the motorcycle is stopped, as it affects the balance of the motorcycle.

9. Motorcycles turn by leaning (banking like an airplane), not by steering like a car. So don't be alarmed when the motorcycle leans over to go around a corner. To position yourself perfectly for a turn, just look over the rider's shoulder in the direction of the turn. If the motorcycle is turning right, look over the rider's right shoulder; if it is turning left, look over the rider's left shoulder.

You don't have to do anything else; looking naturally over the rider's inside shoulder will automatically put your weight right where it belongs in a turn. Keep your body in line with the rider's body to prevent the motorcycle from leaning more than the rider intends. (When going straight, it doesn't matter which shoulder you look over.) Never lean out of a turn; you could cause an accident that way, which is another big no-no.

10. When the rider puts on the brakes, it causes a forward weight transfer. If the rider is forced to break hard, as in an emergency, this forward weight transfer is very apparent; you will be forced against the rider, and you will start to slide forward on the seat. Don't panic. Try to keep back, away from the rider. Resist sliding forward by pressing your feet against the footpegs; use your thigh muscles to control your position on the seat.
    If you slide forward, you force the rider forward, reducing the rider's control over the motorcycle. It also moves the weight distribution of the motorcycle forward, reducing the weight on the rear tire and therefore the traction of the rear tire, making it more likely that the back tire will start to skid. Obviously, none of this is desirable.

11. You can be an active participant in the ride by staying alert and being prepared. Help the rider look for potential danger, and be prepared to hang on and hold yourself back if you anticipate a need for sudden braking. Likewise, if the rider is forced to swerve the motorcycle to avoid a hazard in the road, you need to be prepared for the sudden lean and change of direction.

You can also help the rider scan for animals that may run into the road. Dogs and deer are particularly unpredictable, and you may see a deer on a hillside above the road, or a dog in somebody's front yard, before the rider. (After all, the rider is concentrating primarily on the road.) If you spot a hazard of any sort that you think the rider is unaware of, rap the rider on the appropriate shoulder, and point at the hazard in a way that brings it to the rider's attention.

Here is a link

http://www.chuckhawks.com/motorcycle_passenger_tips.htm

R.I.P. Lahela 10/12/1986-08/01/2008

Want to become a super hero? http://www.donoralliance.org/info-page-1

"I don't fail I just succeed at finding ways that don't work."
    Chris Titus

CSC Spelling Bee Champ 2008 and 2009

Re: For Passengers

Great post
    "6 pairs of kicks is my definition of 12 steps"

Really good post! Thanx Trevor!
    We are goddesses among men!

Pretty good write up. On a sportbike, I'd suggest using the tank to support herself during hard braking. Not sure how she can hold herself back by using the footpegs. I could go into a lot more details to tweak, but I think this is directed towards all motorcycles in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Motodrew View Post
    Pretty good write up. On a sportbike, I'd suggest using the tank to support herself during hard braking. Not sure how she can hold herself back by using the footpegs. I could go into a lot more details to tweak, but I think this is directed towards all motorcycles in general.
    While my tank is already scratched up in a few spots, I'm sure most of everyone else's on this site isn't. If you suggest she/he use the tank to support themselves in sudden stops, have them take off their rings or watches, as these will scratch the paint if they are rubbed/tapped against the tank enough.

Quote Originally Posted by XJ600s View Post
    While my tank is already scratched up in a few spots, I'm sure most of everyone else's on this site isn't. If you suggest she/he use the tank to support themselves in sudden stops, have them take off their rings or watches, as these will scratch the paint if they are rubbed/tapped against the tank enough.
    True, but ideally they should be wearing gloves like the rider, so that shouldn't be too much of an issue.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    True, but ideally they should be wearing gloves like the rider, so that shouldn't be too much of an issue.
    +1

good post.
    sadly it comes too late for an associate of mine who recently got back into riding.
    he had a bit of an accident this weekend while carrying a passenger.
    from what i know they are both semi-alright(road rash),but it springs to mind that even though you know how to ride from years past does not mean that you are capable of doing so again after too many years away from the saddle.
    i urge anyone to keep this in mind.
    always take small leaps when it comes to refreshing your mind in returning to the riding world.
    i will let you know what he say's about it after i give him a good talking to tomorrow.
    mayo....

Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain."

.........a crotch rocket going 85 to 90 down the highway looking like a power ranger on a mission...

True I forgot about that as I rarely see a passenger wearing gloves, most gear I've seen is jacket and helmet.

great post. I recently had a friend come out from CA and had her gear up, even made her wear my race boots

+1 on the post....

My own thoughts....
    - I always make passengers wear gloves, jacket, helmet at a minimum.
    - Always mount and dis-mount on the left side, due to exhaust being on the right side.
    -I always make them get on the bike by holding onto my shoulders and using their left foot up on the peg to lift themselves up and over.
    -Except while cruising, I always have the passenger pretty much hug me, especially during turns, I never let them sit back and upright except while cruising on a straightaway. I make them lean up on me, if I cannot support their weight, I don't take them haha. This way, when I move, they are stuck on my back and go where I go....
    - and lastly, at red lights, always try to view the other light to get a heads up on when our light will go green. Hate losing passenger off the back of the bike haha, joke.

Had a TERRIBLE experience with a passenger yesterday. I've had about 3 other people on my bike with no problems at all. This chick is a good friend of mine and has been begging to ride for a while so I finally let her on. She was so tense that she was putting almost all her weight on me (she's not the skinniest of people) tensing the shit out of her thighs. I barely had any seat room.
    -Greg
    2013 BMW R1200GS

Quote Originally Posted by Slo1299 View Post

<snip...I make them lean up on me, if I cannot support their weight, I don't take them haha...<snip>
    +1! haha

Quote Originally Posted by daemon View Post
    good post.
    sadly it comes too late for an associate of mine who recently got back into riding.
    he had a bit of an accident this weekend while carrying a passenger.
    from what i know they are both semi-alright(road rash),but it springs to mind that even though you know how to ride from years past does not mean that you are capable of doing so again after too many years away from the saddle.
    i urge anyone to keep this in mind.
    always take small leaps when it comes to refreshing your mind in returning to the riding world.
    i will let you know what he say's about it after i give him a good talking to tomorrow.
    Very good point. I feel rusty & it takes a few miles to get back on it when it's been only a week or two, let alone months & years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo1299 View Post
    My own thoughts....
    - I always make passengers wear gloves, jacket, helmet at a minimum.
    - Always mount and dis-mount on the left side, due to exhaust being on the right side.
    -I always make them get on the bike by holding onto my shoulders and using their left foot up on the peg to lift themselves up and over.
    -Except while cruising, I always have the passenger pretty much hug me, especially during turns, I never let them sit back and upright except while cruising on a straightaway. I make them lean up on me, if I cannot support their weight, I don't take them haha. This way, when I move, they are stuck on my back and go where I go....
    - and lastly, at red lights, always try to view the other light to get a heads up on when our light will go green. Hate losing passenger off the back of the bike haha, joke.
    Great thoughts Jay! I had Lindsey on the back of the zx6 yesterday and it reminded me of a lot of the points you just made (not the one about fatties tho! ). Because the tail of the bike angles up & the seat is both tiny & rock hard, it's really difficult for a passenger to sit up when not completely stopped. This also means that when moving they've gotta lean towards me a pretty good deal so whenver I've got a passenger I always tell them to put their hands on the tank. This way their arms act as a shock absorber when we slow down & stop. If I have to stop quickly I don't want someone who's holding onto my hips or, God forbid shoulders, to suddenly come slamming into me while I'm trying to keep the bike upright.

My $.02 on what to remember when having a passenger on the back (from the rider's point of view)
    1. You're no longer a one person vehicle & you've gotta ride accordingly. If you're not used to leaning, braking, & accellerating with someone on the bike, then take it easy until you both get the hang of it.
    2. Your brakes are gonna take a greater distance to stop, plan accordingly.
    3. If you rely on your supension a lot, remember that having another person on the back alters the geometry of the bike and load on the suspension.
    4. Ride smooth. Every little change in speed & cornering gets magnified when there's someone on the back. Things that you thinks are smooth (i.e. shifting) gets surprisingly bumpy when you feel the person on the back shift back and then bump into you b/c you hit the brakes quickly like you normally do.
    5. If it's windy, put both feet down at the light (even if it's not, that's still a good idea with a passenger).
    6. FEEDBACK!!! Talk to your passenger. Ask them how they're doing, especially if it's their first time on the back of bike or the first time on the back of your bike. Don't be shy about telling them what they need to be doing.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Good post man. Another good thing that is helpful are getting hand signals down with your passenger. Like Peeing, Are you Ok, Cop Ahead, Hold on we are going to Pass, I'm hungry that sort of thing. Also, if you are going to fast and they do not feel comfortable, thay can squeeze one side of your body. If they need to stop immediately, squeeze both sides of the body. Having a good passenger is great. I cannot even tell my girlfriend is behind me most the time.