Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Free Admission to the races! Track-side view! Free Lunch! And get paid?!?

Only here for the free Wi-Fi Site Admin Spiderman's Avatar

Cool Free Admission to the races! Track-side view! Free Lunch! And get paid?!?

No, this is not a scam!

This is an invitation for you to come cornerwork the MRA races! Stand within feet of the track and get a "front-row" view of Colorado's fastest people on 2-wheels! No experience is necessary, as training is given each morning to any newcomers. Hotel reimbursement is available for out-of-town races (details below).

What exactly is cornerworking (& do I have to pick up bikes?)?
    Cornerworking, in a nutshell, is a combination of ensuring the track is safe for all riders, and assisting riders who have crashed or had mechanical failures. This is accomplished through 2 separate roles that you can fulfill:

1. Flagger: a flagger stands ahead of the corner, and notifies bikes if there is anything in the upcoming corner they need to be careful for (i.e.: debris; bike/people; ambulance). A flagger's only job is to flag - they do not leave their post to pick up bikes or assist riders.
    2. Runner: a runner's primary responsibility is to assist downed riders & mechanical failures, and when possible, remove debris from the track.

So, if you don't want to pick up bikes, you don't have to. If you do, and you're assigned to a corner with someone else who does, then you can coordinate trading duties with them. When staffing permits, there may also be a corner-captain, but often times the runner also fulfills this role.

Water & Gatorade is provided to help you stay hydrated. A free hot lunch is provided thru the on-site concessions.

Pay is as follows:

• Starting pay is $50 per day, plus a $10 bonus for each additional day worked (so a 3-day weekend would pay $50+$60+$70)
    • After you work a total of 6 days (either: individually; as 3 weekends, or; a combination of the two), you get bumped up to Senior pay, I've just received clarification on this: To reward people who keep coming back year after year, anybody who worked more than half the races in the preceeding year is considered "Experienced" and will receive $75 per day (plus the $10 bonus for each additional day).

Hotel Reimbursement:
    Since you are required to show up very early in the morning, hotel reimbursement is available for both Friday and Saturday night for out-of-town races (Pueblo; Hastings, PPIR; Hastings). You must work all of both days in order to qualify for reimbursement. Hotels are reimbursed up-to $45 per person, per night (if you share a room with another cornerworker, that can get you up-to a $90/night room - don't forget about taxes tho, so more realistically, closer to $80/night).

What time does it start? How long is the day?
    Cornerworkers are asked to show up at 6:45 each morning. Saturday has the potential to run until 5PM, but may finish earlier. Sunday typically finishes around 4PM. The end of each day may be delayed by the number/severity of crashes.

Yes, it's a long day, but it's good for you (you're outside & you're on your feet - that's better for you than sitting on the couch! ), it's good for the MRA racers (without cornerworkers, they can't race!!), it's a great group of people, and during lunch & at the end of the day, you can walk thru the pits and talk to racers.

What to bring (and what NOT to bring)?

• First of all, DO NOT wear anything Yellow or Red (that includes your hat or gloves)
    • White pants (blue jeans are acceptable) - NO SHORTS!
    • White T-shirt (or mostly white) - long- or short-sleeve is up to you. After you work a few events, you will receive an official Corner Marshal shirt
    • Comfortable shoes/boots - you'll be on your feet most of the day - NO SANDALS!
    • Belt (or similar) to clip a radio to.
    • Earplugs - in case you don't get a radio or don't get one of the big headsets
    • Gloves to protect your hands while handling bikes. Leather work gloves are ideal for this.
    • Hat & sunglasses to protect you from standing out in the sun all day.
    • Sunscreen (SPF 30 or greater)
    • Jacket and/or sweatshirt - it can be chilly in the mornings!
    • Rain gear (just in case) - jacket/pants style preferred, and can also be used to help stay warm - NO RED OR YELLOW RAIN SUITS!!
      The MRA races in the rain at most tracks, and the corners tend to get muddy, so you also want to bring appropriate boots, and a change of clothes for the ride home.
    • Food - even though lunch will be provided, you may want to bring your own snacks and/or a few dollars for the concession stand.
    • Backpack or bucket and/or cooler - to carry your gear, drinks/food to/from your corner. Buckets (with lids) and coolers can be used as a seat to rest your legs/lower-back in-between races.
    • Bring your friends along so they can cornerwork too!
    • And finally, DO NOT wear anything Yellow or Red!!!

When/where are the races?
    The first race of the 2009 season was this past weekend. Here is the schedule for the remainder of it:

• May 9th, 10th - Race #2 at High Plains Raceway
    • May 23rd, 24th, 25th Race #3 & #4 at Motorsports Park Hastings (Saturday, Sunday, & Monday)
    • June 6th, 7th - Race #5 at High Plains Raceway (this is a Special Event in conjunction with USGPRU 125GP by Pilot, 250GP by Moto Liberty/RS-Taichi, MD250h Powered by Honda)
    • June 27th, 28th - Race #6 at Pueblo Motorsports Park
    • July 11th, 12th - Race #7 at Pikes Peak International Raceway
    • July 25th, 26th - Race #8 at High Plains Raceway
    • Aug 8th, 9th - Race #9 at High Plains Raceway
    • Aug 29th, 30th - Race #10 at High Plains Raceway
    • Sept 19th, 20th Race #11 at Pikes Peak International Raceway

I'm in - how do I sign up?
    You can sign up, even just a few days prior to any race weekend, using one of the following methods:

• Online in the "MRA Corner Marshals" section of the MRA forums (registration required) - this is also a good place to coordinate carpools to out-of-town races.
    • By email to cornerworker@emaiko.com

Feel free to post questions here, I'll do my best to answer them, or get the answer if I don't know it.
    Last edited by Spiderman; Tue Jun 9th, 2009 at 10:27 AM. Reason: correction to the pay structure
    Bob <------ Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you
         - 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
         - 2015 Yamaha Bolt C-Spec (Cafe Racer)
         - 2004 Yamaha R6 (racebike)
         - 2006 Yamaha R1 (racebike)
    R.I.P. 502
    ~ Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end.

Re: Free Admission to the races! Track-side view! Free Lunch! And get paid?!?

High Plains Raceway (HPR) has 15 turns, and needs more cornerworkers than the MRA has ever needed before (Pueblo only has 10 turns)!

The first race at HPR is less than 2 weeks away. There are plenty of racers from the CSC, so come out, support your friends, and get paid to for it!
         - 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
    R.I.P. 502

I can't wait to do it again. I did it a couple of times last year and it was a blast! I just rode down and camped all weekend. You meet tons of cool people and a couple bucks in your pocket.

Can't wait for a race while I'm actually home... I'm so there! =)
    ~Jess~
    2010 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
    2008 Kawi GREEN Ninja 650R

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    Sometimes things happen beyond our power and we can't make it. Like...your brake lines "accidentally" get cut, or a nice man comes through your window in the middle of the night and politely suggests you withdraw from the activity...who knows?

I will see what I can do, the only problem is I work every Saturday, but I do have Sundays off.

Do we get 1099ed if we get paid?
    Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.

Quote Originally Posted by chad23 View Post
    I will see what I can do, the only problem is I work every Saturday, but I do have Sundays off.

You can work Sundays only. You just have to be there at the start (7:30ish).

Cash is king my friend, that's how I got paid. I only worked a couple of times but got no paper work. I don't know what they do if you make over $600?

I'm in for both days...

MRA Racer No.427

I'm in for HighPlains.

07 GSXR 750
    07 GSXR 600 (RIP)

Do you look good in white?

MRA Racer No.427

Lets hope!

07 GSXR 750
    07 GSXR 600 (RIP)

You can work Sundays only. You just have to be there at the start (7:30ish).
    True, you can work Sunday only, but you need to show up at 6:45.

Cash is king my friend, that's how I got paid. I only worked a couple of times but got no paper work. I don't know what they do if you make over $600?
    Even though they pay you cash at the end of the day, you must fill out a W-9 in order to get paid. This means that if you earn $600 or more cornerworking for the MRA, you will get a 1099.
    R.I.P. 502

In for HPR on Saturdays....if you need any more help, I have 4 kids, they are old enough to work now...ages 10, 4, 3 and 2....they are overdue for a job the way they eat.
    For My Diavan

Quote Originally Posted by GixxerCarrie View Post
    Lets hope!
    Lets hope it rains then
    For My Diavan

I will do May 9th & 10th. Should be able to do some of the other days as well, will let you know.

Thanks for correcting me Bob

do u have to have any experince?

Represent The Green Monster In You!

Here's hoping that I get laid off so I don't have to work my two 12 hr overnight weekend shifts at IBM!!! As I'd much rather be at a race.
    It's a celebration bitches!!! - RIP 502

Motos:
    2003 SV1000N - Dual Yosh RS3 CF Exhaust ••••• 09' Aprilia SR50 (Wife's) ••••• 93' ZX-11 - Sold after 43k Miles
    Cars:
    08' Audi S5 6MT •••• 10' VW TDI Cup Edition 6MT •••• 02' VW TDI Beetle 5MT •••• 07' Ford Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by Hi11Zone View Post
    do u have to have any experince?
    No, but you have to know how to read.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
    No experience is necessary, as training is given each morning to any newcomers. ...
    R.I.P. 502

Quote Originally Posted by Craven_Morehead View Post
    Lets hope it rains then
    LMAO..the Men~gotta love you all!

Bob is it the 9th and 10th? If so can do both days.

07 GSXR 750
    07 GSXR 600 (RIP)

Yep...

Saturday May 9, 2009 and Sunday May 10, 2009
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association Race No.2 at High Plains Raceway

Corner workers need to be there at 6:45am for the corner worker meeting where you will get your radios and assignments.

MRA Racer No.427

MRA Head Corner Marshal

Quote Originally Posted by Craven_Morehead View Post
    In for HPR on Saturdays....if you need any more help, I have 4 kids, they are old enough to work now...ages 10, 4, 3 and 2....they are overdue for a job the way they eat.
    Unfortunately due to insurance rules you must be 16 before they will let you outside the pits.

-Nick

Sign me up Bob! I don't have the kiddo that weekend so I'm free to help out.

Leah
    05 Raven R1
    01 YZ250F

Quote Originally Posted by GixxerCarrie View Post
    Bob is it the 9th and 10th? If so can do both days.
    Hmmm, let me scroll up and check...
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
    • May 9th, 10th - Race #2 at High Plains Raceway
    Well would ya look at that! Yes Carrie, as a matter of fact, it is on the 9th & 10th!

Thanks for answering her Randall, but I couldn't resist.
    R.I.P. 502

[quote=Snowman;442978]After finding her number on a bathroom wall I would imagine so…
    quote]

I think you changed it...I think it only said the 10th at first
    And the bathroom wall was Randall's phone...Damns it!!!!!

07 GSXR 750
    07 GSXR 600 (RIP)