Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Death Star vs. Enterprise

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter Shea's Avatar

Re: Death Star vs. Enterprise

Not a real world test. The Enterprise was entirely a static target. Given the warp drive capabilities I would give it an edge over the Death Star. Can we revisit this test with another Constitution class cruiser and have a captain that isn't away banging some Orion slave girl?

Shea
    Now bikeless...

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    THERE IS NO TIME FOR RATIONAL SOLUTIONS!
    WE HAVE TO TAKE DRASTIC IRRATIONAL MEASURES NOW!
    LIVES ARE IN DANGER!

Quote Originally Posted by Shea View Post
    Not a real world test. The Enterprise was entirely a static target. Given the warp drive capabilities I would give it an edge over the Death Star.
    I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Dirk

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

How appropriate having that happen in San Fran. The gheyness cannot be understated.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

There is no question an Ambassador Class Star Ship would be no match for a Death Star Class 1 or 2. However, has anyone considered a one to one match up between a Death Star Class 2 and a Full Sized Borg Cube?
    Last edited by Snowman; Fri May 8th, 2009 at 12:08 PM.

MRA Racer No.427

Dirk

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Shea View Post
    Not a real world test. The Enterprise was entirely a static target. Given the warp drive capabilities I would give it an edge over the Death Star. Can we revisit this test with another Constitution class cruiser and have a captain that isn't away banging some Orion slave girl?

Gotta go with Shea on this one...
    Strategic targeting is definately more accurate than some kid shooting womp rats on his T-19.

PLUS, that Enterprise is far too mobile of a ship to fall prey to such a lumbering but devastating device

Also, Dirk, why's it always gotta be about size & who's is bigger with you, huh?
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

So you’re saying the only real advantage the Enterprise has is that is can out maneuver a Death Star. So how is that defeating one?

MRA Racer No.427

So you’re saying the only real advantage the Enterprise has is that is can out maneuver a Death Star. So how is that defeating one?
    Well if the other guy can't hit you, he sure can't beat you. And I also said that strategic targeting of phasers & photon torpedos would allow the Enterprise to easily exploit a weakness such as an unshielded exhaust port.

woah. suddnely I feel like I'm 13 again...
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    Well if the other guy can't hit you, he sure can't beat you. And I also said that strategic targeting of phasers & photon torpedos would allow the Enterprise to easily exploit a weakness such as an unshielded exhaust port.

woah. suddnely I feel like I'm 13 again...
    Unless we cover said exhaust port with some plywood. But we have to get some bids first on that...
    Shea
    Now bikeless...

LIVES ARE IN DANGER!

KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Sounds like a matter of strategy to me. The Death Star(s) had tractor beams (TNH and ROTJ). A simple ambush style attack could allow the Death Star to lock the Enterprise into one of is trackor beams, then open fire until their shields failed.

On the other hand no weaponry on the Enterprise would be able to over come the entire mass of a Death Star. Being the size of the Enterprise would not allow it to fly down the trench leading to the exhaust port. Which I'm sure was fixed in the class 2 version.
    Last edited by Snowman; Fri May 8th, 2009 at 12:26 PM.

MRA Racer No.427

Sounds like a matter of strategy to me. The Death Star(s) had tractor beams (TNH and ROTJ). A simple ambush style attack could allow the Death Star to lock the Enterprise into one of is track beams, then open fire until their shields failed.

On the other hand no weaponry on the Enterprise would be able to over come the entire mass of a Death Star. Being the size of the Enterprise would not allow it to fly down the trench leading to the exhaust port. Which I'm sure was fixed in the class 2 version.
    However, it takes quite awhile for the main weaponry to power up and given Star Trek canon, the shields on even low level Star Fleet ships are immune to laser fire (I would assume even Turbo Lasers). While the Enterprise is being "captured" by a tractor beam it is free to fire it's weapons and I would further assume as the primary Death Star weaponry is being charged, the emitters are being bombarded by either photon or quantum torpedoes, en mass. Therefore, I still think the Enterprise will come out, perhaps not on top, but at least in a draw.
    Shea
    Now bikeless...

LIVES ARE IN DANGER!

...until the Defiant shows up!
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

I agree to defeat a Death Star would require a fair amount of brinksmanship. In a blow-to-blow battle, however the Enterprise would be toast in seconds.

And you forget the other weapons in the arsenal of a Death Star. It was designed to fight off a large-scale assault, so of course there would be more than turbo lasers. It would have docked Imperial Class Star ships that could protect the stations more vulnerable areas.

It would require a master plan to defeat one… Even it the Defiant showed up.

MRA Racer No.427

So I can't help but wonder if this whole Death Star v. Enterprise was a result of someone watching "First Contact" while eating special brownies...
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

That and the CO2 gas collecting in their parents basement which they were living in at the time.

MRA Racer No.427

s'pose that's a different kind of "greenhouse effect"
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

And you forget the other weapons in the arsenal of a Death Star. It was designed to fight off a large-scale assault, so of course there would be more than turbo lasers. It would have docked Imperial Class Star ships that could protect the stations more vulnerable areas.
    Plus 7,293 TIE fighters, 2,600 ion cannons, and at least 768 tractor beam projectors.

Dirk

--Thomas Jefferson

I'm wondering why this is even being discussed seeing as how the the Death Star only existed long long ago in a galaxy far far away... It is a time of civil war, and renegade paragraphs floating through space.

The Enterprise is only good for a 5 year mission from Earth... in about 150 years from now...
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    Also, Dirk, why's it always gotta be about size & who's is bigger with you, huh?
    You rebel scum.

Dirk

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    The Enterprise is only good for a 5 year mission from Earth... in about 150 years from now...
    Hey if they can go back in time to rescue humpback whales, surely they can go back in time to have the Empire open a can of whoop-ass on them.

Dirk

--Thomas Jefferson

So anyone going to attempt to see this new Star Trek Movie?

I’m kind a expecting this will be the final last and most complete failure of Gene Rodenberry’s vision.
    Last edited by Snowman; Fri May 8th, 2009 at 01:43 PM.

MRA Racer No.427

So anyone going to attempt to see this new Star Trek Movie?

I’m kind a expecting this will be the final last and most complete failure of Gene Rodenberry’s vision.
    I'll probably go see it next week. Hopefully it'll be good. Looks like lots of action in it.

Dirk

--Thomas Jefferson