I recently rebuilt my master cylinder and two years ago rebuilt the slave cylinder. I figured I'd share what I learned. I think it's pretty cool once I figured it out. I need to scan in the pics from my service manual so I have illustrations go to with the knowledge.

The Hayabusa has a hydraulic clutch.

The master cylinder holds the DOT-3 brake fluid.

At the base of the cylinder is a piston. There's a spring at the hose end, large at the base tapering to half its size at the piston end. There's a small plastic cap over the small end that the piston presses on. The piston is spiral cut with an o-ring to keep fluid from coming out the back. There's a cup at the end. A washer with a lock ring holds the piston in the master cylinder.

There's a pin that fits into the cup. There's a ring that the dust cover fits over and slips into the base of the master cylinder. The other end of the pin fits into a drum that sits in the base of the lever and rotates as the lever is pulled in.

The hose runs down to a slave cylinder.

The slave cylinder has a piston as well. It has a larger o-ring and because of the size and how tight it fits, can require a special tool (I was able to get mine in but it was difficult without the tool). The end of the piston has concentric rings.

There is a pin that runs from the piston in the slave cylinder through the base of the engine and to the back of the clutch pressure plate. There are several alternating clutch plates; metal and a friction plate. There are 6 springs that hold the plate against the clutch plates.

Pulling in on the lever pushes the piston in the base of the master cylinder which increases pressure in the brake fluid. That pushes the slave cylinder against the pin which releases pressure on the clutch plates which lets you shift gears.

I use chain wax to protect my chain. But it also is a stiffer lube and holds particles of dirt in it. Because it's stiffer, it passes through the slave cylinder o-ring and gets into the brake fluid turning it gray. The particles cause damage to the two o-rings which cause leaks.

Hope this is informative.

Carl