Thread: Tomahawk tires

Tomahawk tires

Has anyone ever used them or herd of someone using them? are they street worthy or stick to my dunlops? are they worth one set to try out?
    Knee2Ground Racing

Re: Tomahawk tires

arent those the gay colored tires? HAHAH
    Jason Leleck
    MRA #399

Faster Motosports, XBAM!, Unink, Printworks, Leo Vince Exhaust, Gaerne Boots, Bridgestone, Chickenhawk Racing, Ferodo Brakes, Woodcraft-CFM

I brought all my shoes and all my glasses so I would have them
    you should race w/ them! haha
    ~Travis~
    It's okay...I'm a Doctor.
    Originally Posted by Keyser Soze
    Everybody on CSC knows everything
    2003 GSX-R600 - Former Love
    2003 Kawasaki ZX6R - Former Love
    1999 Suzuki TL1000R - Former Love
    2004 DRZ400E - New Dirty
    2002 KFX 650 - Quad

that will teach ya to ask a serious question around here!
    Cleveland

Lel - I thought you liked those gay colors, I remember spending like an hour trying to talk you out of painting you bike tampon red.
    Gene Bazyl
    MRA, ASMA #502
    AMA SS & FX #503

Moving to Bike Tech

There's people in the AMA running them as a sponsored deal, but I have yet to see a pair in use up close. When I reviewed other products -- Dunlop, Avon and Bridgestone... Tommahawk did not participate. That besides the idea of re-using tire carcasses at speed made me think twice about them.

For street use and occasional track days... I was awestruck by the Avon SP's performance. The SP Pro's take it up a notch for more aggresive track riding. The Bridgestones (BT014) are wearing very well, but slip a bit at speed while on the track. The Dunlops I thought made a great track tire... but I hate the wear for the front tire on the street.
    2000 Suzuki GSXR750
    1974 Honda CL200 Scrambler
    Former AMA/CCS, WERA, MRA, F-USA
    Current AMA Member, SMRI Racer
    Check out www.vonconcepts.com

I've heard some iffy comments about the Tomohawks. One guy said it was like riding on hard plastic. Just some things to keep in mind...

Here is some info on the tomahawks from a guy who races them. I hear he is also the guy in the companies print ad's though I've never seen one.

Everyone has there own preference of tires. For some people the idea of a remolded tire is just to different for them to accept. I was very nervous the first time I was on a set of Tomahawks I kept having visions of diesel truck tires on the highway as I was going into turn one a 130 mphs. After I learned how a new tire is made and how a Tomahawk tire is made I no longer felt nervous at all. The building process is almost identical between a tomahawk and another tire. I new tires starts off as a casing or a core with out any tread. The casing then as one outer piece of rubber that basically raps around the tire. The tire is then placed into a mold that bakes the two pieces together and you have a new tire. What Tomahawk does is take a tire that has the tread worn down. The tire gets put into a machine that grinds the tire down to the original casing. Then the casing is placed into a orbitread machine that raps the casing in Tomahawks own rubber and then placed into a mold and out pops a new Tomahawk tire. Tomahawk then takes an extra step. They put the tire into a machine that basically takes an x-ray of the tire. What this machine is looking for is any air pockets or voids in it that might be in between the casing and the outer tread. These air pockets can get into new tires as well. You may have heard of a major tire company having problems at Daytona the last couple of years. Well if you have air pockets in a tire and you get that tire hot enough, the tire will explode. The casing its self still can hold air its just the tread that blows. Tomahawk has had no failures of there tires that I know of and I have never had a problem with them.

As far as performance goes I would say that they are right on par with some of the other manufactures. They make a couple different tread patterns with a couple of different rubber compounds. The tread patterns do not make a huge difference but the rubber compounds do. Most people think of the Colored tires when they think of Tomahawk so I will start there. The colored tires are a street only tire. I would consider them to be more of a sport touring tire. They work well but a really aggressive rider might get to the limits on them. If I had a street bike I would be running the colored tires all day long. With the black tires they make 4 different compounds. Sport, M1, M2, M3, and M4. Sport is the street compound and work really good for the street. The M compounds are the race compounds 1 being the hardest and 4 the softest. I had always raced with Pirelli's and think that they are great tires. I always have my tires built on Pirelli cases. Most of the technology of the tire is in the casing so if you have a set of tomahawks that where built on Dunlop's they are going to feel very similar. My times on the M2 rubber are with in a second to a half a second compared to a set of Pirelli's. I do a lot of the R&D on these tires and the M3 is the newest compound it has more grip then any tire I have ever been on but it will ware out faster. I did not check my times when I was on them but the grip was fantastic. For street riders I would not recommend the M3 or M4. If you wanted a really good tire for the street or track days that compares to $400 race tires take a look at the M2 it might ware out a little quicker but at half price for a comparison tire who cares.

Hope that help. Feel free to ask me any question you have.

----

Garth Dillon
    AMA # 319
    AFM # 419
    www.cycletires.com
    Tomahawk Tires
    2006 R6 - Race bike - Novice #222

Sponsors:
    Vortex

Evomx

Panolin America

You don't need lube, these aren't old ladies they are 18......They're good to go!

that explains alot thanks..... dont buy tomahawks...stick with a good tire
    Knee2Ground Racing

And Dunlop's are the good tire
    Seems like only last year several factory AMA riders crashed big when the Dunlop rear tires had major failures.

Garth Dillon won a CCS mid-west championship on Tomahawk's
    The tires must work at least a little.
    mike
    No doubt about the future, No regrets about the past!

hmm true and no i dont like dunlops that much i actually prefer to run michillins
    but i was interested in the collored ones no matter how gay people think they are i thought they might look kinda cool and origanal iv never seen the colored ones on a bike, i was more interested in peoples thoughts on the colored ones and if they would send my bike sliding
    Knee2Ground Racing

with that said the colored tires are not the race version.the colored are street only and i have not talked to anyone who has rode them hard on the track.
    I have talked with 2 guys who have rode the race version and both had good things to say about them.
    mike
    No doubt about the future, No regrets about the past!

oky doke then ill stick to what i like thanks mike
    Knee2Ground Racing

for bling for those people who use there liter class sport bike to cruise the strip i'm sure they'd be fine though. for curves at high speed i wouldnt trust them myself.
    Jeff Black
    Littleton, CO

Currently bikeless, but will be BMW shopping again come springtime.

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by voncon
    For street use and occasional track days... I was awestruck by the Avon SP's performance.
    I'm with you. I've put the SP's on my R1 through canyon bombing runs, rainstorms like they talk about in the Bible (ask Brizz, yrdaddady, Nick_Ninja, and Mayhem), and now recently SCR and Pueblo.

They are top notch street tires that will handle a track-day or 3, without many complaints.

Any literbike street riders here using Pilot Powers? Reviews, thoughts?
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Quote Originally Posted by -Barn-";p="175745
    Any literbike street riders here using Pilot Powers? Reviews, thoughts?
    I've yet to see anything negative said about them. I know Stan Foxworthy did a review of them in Rocky Mountain Rider a few months back, I'll try and get the article for you. Pretty sure he tested them on his Bandit 1200. They're probably the most technologically advanced street tire ever built. 100% synthetic compound, using 2003 MotoGP technology. In short, you'll probably love them.

If you decide to try a set, go to Vanmar to buy them. Help our local tire guy! Plus Mark Schellinger can help you get it set up right for your track days.

thanks ralph
    Knee2Ground Racing