Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Might end up in Idaho Falls, Idaho...

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Might end up in Idaho Falls, Idaho...

.....for a while at least. The job market totally sucks, but I have a line on a decent temp position up there that is supposed to last at least 2mo, might go to 6mo, and if they have need and really need me, might even go for a couple years as a contractor. Working for a contractor for the DOE up at the nuclear facility.

We'll see. I should know about the background security check in a few days, and if so, I'l be up there Monday. I hate being out of work.

Best of luck to all those others out there and their families that are out of work. My x-wife in Cleveland might be out of a job soon too. God, I hope not.

I'm thinking of taking the bike too, any interesting riding up there? any interesting ANYTHING up there?
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Re: Might end up in Idaho Falls, Idaho...

"Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    Niiice! Gonna come up there and do that with me?
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Nice, you'll be able to jam at Sun Valley.
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

"Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

Idaho Falls is a fairly cool town. You'll like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    I don't ride like a tool, tools ride like me! foo...

Senior Member Yearly Supporter gtn's Avatar

What are you going to be doing at INL?
    Gary
    08 CBR1000rr - Candy Dark Red/Metallic Silver

I was stationed up there in 1981. I was at one of the Navy prototype reactors for about six months.

Like Greeger said, Idaho Falls is a pretty cool town. There's nice riding around there too. However, the winters suck if you don't like snow.
    2005 Yamaha YZF-R6 (SOLD)
    2013 Yamaha FZ6R
    Stupidity should be painful.

I brought all my shoes and all my glasses so I would have them

I'm pretty sure that former Mile High Madness Prez. Anthony Heer is up in Idaho
    ~Travis~
    It's okay...I'm a Doctor.
    Originally Posted by Keyser Soze
    Everybody on CSC knows everything
    2003 GSX-R600 - Former Love
    2003 Kawasaki ZX6R - Former Love
    1999 Suzuki TL1000R - Former Love
    2004 DRZ400E - New Dirty
    2002 KFX 650 - Quad

You might want to read this:

I used to live in Kooskia, about 45 minutes northeast of Grangeville, along Hwy 13--it's where 12 meets 13. We used to do the 70-mile trip to Lewiston/Clarkston regularly, as it was the nearest place to go dancing. (At least the kind of dancing where you weren't kicking straw around!) Highway 12 follows the Clearwater River and there's lots of twisties! 'Course most of the roads up that way are pretty windey. I definitely prefer the northern part of the state...it's actually quite beautiful.

Lolo Pass (HWY 12) FTMFW!!!!

Useless triva:

The Native Americans pronounce Kooskia koo-SKY-uh

The local white invaders say KOO-skee.

I had a buddy who lived on Lolo pass back in the day...her husband drove a snowplow for the state DOT. It was a VERY lonely place in the winter. Heavy snow, no one comes around, even if they could. Guess that's why the kooks like it up there.

Well, looking like it's going to happen, so far so good. Not sure the length of assignment yet, but if it goes long enough for something good here to open up that'd be awesome. Barring that, if it goes long enough to qualify for unemployment that'd be good too as I haven't recieved a dime yet, and don't know that I will as Woodward will try and screw me on it.

It will suck not being to see my little 2 yr.-old (Carina) here much besides never seeing my other kids, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do sometimes, especially in our New Depression, and I'm glad to just get the work. Hopefully there'll even be OT.

If nothing else, it's fairly easy access to Jackson Hole etc. so I'm taking the bike up.

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Hey Frank that temp job is better than nothing and some new riding to check out. Good Luck! Should be a beautiful area.

Good luck and keep us up to date Frank!
    ~Jess~
    2010 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
    2008 Kawi GREEN Ninja 650R

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    Sometimes things happen beyond our power and we can't make it. Like...your brake lines "accidentally" get cut, or a nice man comes through your window in the middle of the night and politely suggests you withdraw from the activity...who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by CurtisRR View Post
    Hey Frank that temp job is better than nothing and some new riding to check out. Good Luck! Should be a beautiful area.
    Yeah, exactly. Gonna miss little Carina terribly, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do,

I plan on doing Jackson Hole, and some other areas, and will post up some pics.

Hope all is well with you down in AZ bro.

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Well, gotta finish packing, and I'm outta here. I'll try and post as I can. This is gonna be weird. I'll be up there sleeping on an air mattress with just my clothes, bare essentials, and M/C, renting a room. Times are tough, and ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Best of luck to all the other unemployed/underemployed/nearly homeless out there.

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    Well, gotta finish packing, and I'm outta here. I'll try and post as I can. This is gonna be weird. I'll be up there sleeping on an air mattress with just my clothes, bare essentials, and M/C, renting a room. Times are tough, and ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Best of luck to all the other unemployed/underemployed/nearly homeless out there.
    Sorry I missed you. I left a message at Jeff's around 11:30 I think. Good Luck and keep us posted and I'll try to do the same.

When you get back to CO if you and Steve still want to head down to AZ look me up.

Cheers!

Update 2009-05-26:

Got here last Sunday (15th) and the place (rented room in a house) I thought would work for me was a total dismal dive. Found a nice hotel room, and looked at 2 more places……both total dives. I was so stressed and depressed I almost just packed up and went home. Didn’t sleep at all, felt horrible the next day (first day of work). Then, luckily for me, the guy I am cubicle-mates with was staying in a hotel at $1,400/mo and wanted something cheaper, so I went and looked at a few places (almost impossible to get month-2-month rentals) that were kinda dismal, before finding a pretty nice 2br, 1-1/2ba basement apt that’s in a decent neighborhood for $600, so that’s way better. Sleeping on an air mattress (had to buy a new one as the last one went flat in the middle of the night) with just clothes, and now my bike and gear here. No TV, ‘net, or real friends yet, nothing to do but work, and go home and try and sleep. Dunno how long the job’s going to last, hopefully longer than 2 months, perhaps the 6mo that will qualify me for unemployment at least. Hopefully, it’ll be until I can find work back there. If it turns perm here, I’ll have to take it, until I can get back there someday.

I miss my friends, the riding, the area, and most of all, my little Carina (22mo). I drove (636 mi each way) back home this 4-day weekend (for me) and got to see her on Sunday, as Saturday unfortunately I had to build a chock to get my bike in the back of the truck to take back to a storage shed I rented here. We had a great visit, she’s such a little doll. I love her so much but am so concerned for her future, and that of my other kids as well. Things were bad before, but I never knew life could be such a difficult struggle until I lost my job with the support burdens for my 3 kids, and basically being one step from homeless and truckless when what little money I’d had saved runs out (if the job doesn’t last). It’s good to be making money again in these hard economic times, and I’m happy to be working, but it’s really tough when you don’t know if you or your kids will even have a future.

The country on the way varies from beautiful, to amazingly backwards and desolate (Wy), but Jackson is less than 2hrs from here, and I plan on a few trip there. I’ll try and post pics at some point.

Best of luck to all others without jobs here and elsewhere.

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Went for a day trip to Jackson WY with a guy from work and his friend. It was a pretty nice ride.....until a Sherriff gave me a $172 "performance award" coming home...... NOT what I needed. Oh well, guess that's for all the times I weaseled my way out of one. The scenery was great in some areas. didn't have time to go into the parks, but maybe next time. Glad we left when we did though, as we JUST missed a major storm coming back. Seems the rain is kinda unpredictable here. Also, Jackson is a TOTAL tourist trap now, everything's $$$$. We went to the Cowboy Saloon, and it was pretty nice inside. All the bar stools were saddles.

Job will probably last until the end of July, hope I can find something after that. HOPE me X in Cleveland doesn't lose her job. Stressing totally about that, but helpless to do anything.

Best of luck to all the others here and in the world with no steady job. It's a bitch.

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Still here. Getting some extra work (straight time, not time-1/2 unfortunately, but I'll take it). Probably (hopefully) be here until the end of July as estimated. The guy up here might be able to get me some work at their large Denver office, so here's hoping. Regardless, when I get back I'll be looking for just a room to rent, so if anyone knows.

Found a couple cool people here, including this younger guy I rode with. Total noob on a '07 gixxer 1k (!!), but he's cool. Has a rocking home theater we watched the MotoGP race on.

On a more somber note, my last grandfather passed very early Monday morning at 94 years old. He was a great man. Godspeed grandpa!

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Sorry to hear about yer GP Frank. Be safe up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    Sorry to hear about yer GP Frank. Be safe up there.
    Thanks man. He was awesome.

Got a 4-day weekend after working 12's. so if the weather is FINALLY nice here, I'll do some riding. Care to do Lolo pass?

P.S. Hope all's well with you and the family and Lorraine is doing better.

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian