Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: firearm gurus...

firearm gurus...

I am looking into buying my first hand gun. I have fired guns & rifles before, how ever I am looking to get input on a great "beginner" hand gun. Looking for something good and easily maintenanced. I don't need a giant revolver, just looking to finally buy a small gun. Any and all input is appreciated! I am also looking for info on maintenance, safety classes, ect. Thanks -Derek

Re: firearm gurus...

Semi-auto or Revolver? because in my opinion the two are worlds apart.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Might want to include what you want it for, i.e. target practice, home defense, ccw, etc.

There are niches for all of them. Best bet is to hit a few stores and actually hold them. See which one "fits" you. Some ranges rent.

Board Newbie

Howdy, for a 1st pistol...
    Springfield XD & XD-M in 9mm are both good all around sidearms if you're looking for a semi-auto.
    Taurus Judge is very a good revolver. shoots both .45 colt <revolver round> & .410 GA < shotgun round>.
    you might be able to try both at the Firing Line in Aurora.
    Cheers, Al

If you have never owned a gun, make no decisions till YOU go to a store and hold em yourself. Everyone fits different. Some people swear by glocks, I cant stand them, they shoot high for me. I love my Sig's, others hate them. Invest in a name brand (Beretta, Sig, Glock, S&W, H&K, CZ, Kimber, Colt, Rugar, Taurus, Walther, Browning) and make sure it is comfortable FOR YOU.

Lol has gone from meaning, "laugh out loud" to "I have nothing else to say".

Why is a school zone 20 mph? That seems like the optimal cruising speed for pedophiles...

R.I.P. Les Paul

Sorry for the lack of info...leaning towards a semi/ 9mm. glock or springfield have both been recommended. I am looking for recreation mostly.

The new Springfield XD/M is the largest capacity handgun on the market. The 9mm is 19+1 i think which is 1 more then its glock and Beretta counterpart. And they are very solid.

http://www.the-m-factor.com/
    Last edited by Nerves; Mon May 11th, 2009 at 10:33 PM.

Why is a school zone 20 mph? That seems like the optimal cruising speed for pedophiles...

R.I.P. Les Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Nerves View Post
    The new Springfield XD/M is the largest capacity handgun on the market. The 9mm is 19+1 i think which is 1 more then its glock and Beretta counterpart. And they are very solid.

http://www.the-m-factor.com/

If you need the largest capacity pistol on the market. And need the 19+1. Please sell your gun.

Aaron
    '08 Suzuki GSXR600

Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    If you need the largest capacity pistol on the market. And need the 19+1. Please sell your gun.
    Hey, ya never know when you're gonna be attacked by 19 zombies...and they're not just gonna shoot themselves, dammit.....
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Quote Originally Posted by derekm View Post
    Sorry for the lack of info...leaning towards a semi/ 9mm. glock or springfield have both been recommended. I am looking for recreation mostly.
    If you're looking at those two, be sure to check out the S&W M&P series. Same type of pistol but many people feel it is more comfortable than either of the ones you mentioned. All are relatively easy to break down and clean.
    "That which does not kill you only postpones the inevitable."

Go Glock, its going to shoot every time. You can break it down and clean it in a flash. Tons of sights, grips and other toys can be added. If you are new to guns or dont plan on shooting alot to build muscle memory, I would stay away from manual safetys. In a stressful situation you will forget to disengage it.
    Whatdja learn?

I hate to be a little bias but the 1911 should be thrown into the mix. You can't go wrong with something that is nearly unchanged for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly boy View Post
    I hate to be a little bias but the 1911 should be thrown into the mix. You can't go wrong with something that is nearly unchanged for so long.
    Please disregard the last post... the 1911 IS NOT a good choice for someone purchasing their first pistol! Among the biggest downfalls are... 1.) they are not as easy to disassemble/assemble as the other pistols mentioned 2.) unless you are willing to spend about $800, reliability could be a factor 3.) most 1911's only hold 7-8 rounds.

And before anyone shoots off at the mouth about how reliable the 1911 is, if you want to put your money where your mouth is I'll be more than happy to take you up on it, just PM me.

You don't have to take my word for it, ask around. You'll find the majority of "older" folks like them because it was the choice of the US military for many years, and because of this, sometimes sentimental feelings come into play when people purchase personal weapons. Just my $.02
    "That which does not kill you only postpones the inevitable."

Quote Originally Posted by kidicarus13 View Post
    Please disregard the last post... the 1911 IS NOT a good choice for someone purchasing their first pistol! Among the biggest downfalls are... 1.) they are not as easy to disassemble/assemble as the other pistols mentioned 2.) unless you are willing to spend about $800, reliability could be a factor 3.) most 1911's only hold 7-8 rounds.

And before anyone shoots off at the mouth about how reliable the 1911 is, if you want to put your money where your mouth is I'll be more than happy to take you up on it, just PM me.

You don't have to take my word for it, ask around. You'll find the majority of "older" folks like them because it was the choice of the US military for many years, and because of this, sometimes sentimental feelings come into play when people purchase personal weapons. Just my $.02

Ok, I guess I have just cleaned mine enough to be efficiant with it. He is right, its just not slide the rail off, and move a spring out of the way to clean.

I personally don't like the 19+1 mags.... some are a PITA to load, I just have a couple extra's for the 1911.

I spent $612 for mine, but that was 3 years ago. Never had a fault yet, even putting through some ammo that was very old.

On a side note, it feels heavy, but once you fire it, it is very well balanced. It doesn't want to snap out of your hands.

I have to agree, a 1911 is better for a more experienced shooter, rather than a n00b. I will disagree with the rest: I have a Norinco 1911 that I purchased for under $300 many years ago. I have put over 10000 rounds down range, including reduced power handloads with cast bullets, and never had a failure to fire, eject, or feed a round. The only mods are a full length recoil spring guide, and a set of aftermarket grips. Yeah, the thing is a boat anchor, weight wise, but it is my "nightstand gun", in effect, my final defense after my shotgun.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

I have a buddy who recently purchased a Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm and said it is a much better gun to shoot than his other various pistols. Check it out.

From personal experience, I recommend staying away from any Double-Action-Only (DAO) pistols. They aren't much fun to shoot.

If you are using this for practice/fun as well as self defense - 9mm is a good way to go because the ammo is cheap and you have tons of options for both guns and ammo.

If you have no intention of using this for self defense - go with a more expensive .22LR since the ammo is cheaper than dirt and they are way more fun to shoot than the bigger calibers IMO. You can shoot a thousand rounds and still be able to buy gas to get home and don't have a sore hand/finger. In a pinch, they can still serve as a self-defense weapon.(A .22 you can aim is way better than a 45 that you can't hit a barn with)
    www.cocsba.com

'00 ZX12R
    '03 SV1000

I know gun shows are fun and some stores want to make a sale but....stay away from the cheap brands. Phoenix arms, hipoint etc. Cheap materials = breaks, jams you name it.
    Whatdja learn?

charles daley makes a short barrel, pump action shotgun specificaly designed for home defense. Nothing will destroy burglars and zombies faster than 3" buck. The price usualy ranges around $200 too. Racking a round into the chamber will usualy give the pucker factor too.
    Whatdja learn?

Quote Originally Posted by Ol'Skool View Post
    charles daley makes a short barrel, pump action shotgun specificaly designed for home defense. Nothing will destroy burglars and zombies faster than 3" buck. The price usualy ranges around $200 too. Racking a round into the chamber will usualy give the pucker factor too.

those are on sale OFTEN at Big 5..Check there web site often and you will find them for ~$250
    http://www.rapidfirebunker.com
    $15 FFL TRANSFERS. $15 Private Transfers
    Emergency Preparedness Store, Survival BULK Food, knives, Guns, Ammo, FREEDOM

9mm is a pretty good semi auto to start off with.. At least i thought so
    "If you love something, let it go... If it comes back to you, you've just high sided!"

'01 GSXR 750~Scorpion Exhaust~Carbon rear wheel cover, chain guard, intake, mirrors and signals~Targa Windscreen

Quote Originally Posted by derekm View Post
    Yeah there are tons of examples out there from all the manufactures. Some have already been mentioned. Like others have said, I'd recommend anything from Smith & Wesson in their M&P line and their Sigma line, the XD or XD(M), Taurus 24/7 Pro or OSS models, Glock and Sig Sauer.

My advice is check out all the models that spark your interest. Hold them, see how they fit your hand. Do a couple dry fire tests to check the trigger reset. Main thing is being comfortable with the gun and happy as well. If you don't like the weapon from the moment you pick it up, you may not grow to like it.

9mm is a good choice right now because ammo is still cheap(if you can find it and you can just look). You don't feel sick after burning several hundred rounds through it knowing you just tossed a $100 bucks(like you would with a .45ACP).

Well as for myself, I didn't actually need my XD(M) 9mm(no wait that's wrong, I need every gun I have) HAHA. Honestly though, I love my XD(M), and I do use it for CCW. It's kind of nice to have 20 in the gun and two spare mags with 19 in them. At 58 rounds of ammo, I'm usually prepared for just about anything
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Dissconected from this world

Glock, Kimber, H&K. Just my preferences

My Walther has been VERY reliable, and it comes apart extremly easy to clean.

According to many firearms instructors, a person shooting 70%-75% accuracy at a range will only have a 10%-15% accuracy when engaged in a real firefight. The diffrance is due to adrenaline and the fact that the target is shooting back with the intent to kill you. If you have a 7+1 sidearm, you will be lucky to hit your target with 1 round. If you increase the capacity to 19+1, your chances of landing rounds on target and ending the conflict have greatly increased. Any military orientated person will tell you that one thing will end a firefight quicker then any other. Fire superiority! If your buying a gun for home protection or as a CCW, capacity is your friend.

R.I.P. Les Paul