Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: firearm gurus...

Re: firearm gurus...

Quote Originally Posted by Nerves View Post
    According to many firearms instructors, a person shooting 70%-75% accuracy at a range will only have a 10%-15% accuracy when engaged in a real firefight. The diffrance is due to adrenaline and the fact that the target is shooting back with the intent to kill you. If you have a 7+1 sidearm, you will be lucky to hit your target with 1 round. If you increase the capacity to 19+1, your chances of landing rounds on target and ending the conflict have greatly increased. Any military orientated person will tell you that one thing will end a firefight quicker then any other. Fire superiority! If your buying a gun for home protection or as a CCW, capacity is your friend.
    100% agreed, capacity is always your friend.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    100% agreed, capacity is always your friend.

Guess I'm screwed.... 10rd, 8rd, 8rd

If you get involved in a "firefight" (in used terms) with a CCW... maybe you should call 911 and go the other way. If you need 58 rounds, for a CCW, then maybe you need to work on your reason for having a CCW. My two cents, if you need those 58 rounds, you are causing more problems than good. You might want to go the other way to wake up the next day to see your wife, husband, mom, dad, kids, etc.

Remember, you dont have a big old sign on your back that says "I CARRY CCW and HAVE MORE ROUNDS THAN YOU."

I think having a large magazine is good, but that should not be the only reason to buy a brand/caliber.

Aaron
    '08 Suzuki GSXR600

wow thanks all! and ll this time I thought tight clothes & short hair was the best defense against zombies!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    If you get involved in a "firefight" (in used terms) with a CCW... maybe you should call 911 and go the other way.
    One of my favorite sayings is "When danger is only a minuet away, the cops are three." Sometimes you cannot rely on law enforcement. They do the best they can, but sometimes it is not good enough.

Remember, you dont have a big old sign on your back that says "I CARRY CCW and HAVE MORE ROUNDS THAN YOU."
    The whole point behind a CCW is as a CONCEALED last resort. If I want to broadcast the fact that I am carrying a gun, I will open carry, which is entirely legal. Having a large capacity CCW is not to show off how much you have under your coat it is to insure that I am the winner when and if I ever need it.
    Last edited by Nerves; Wed May 13th, 2009 at 10:19 PM.

Lol has gone from meaning, "laugh out loud" to "I have nothing else to say".

Why is a school zone 20 mph? That seems like the optimal cruising speed for pedophiles...

R.I.P. Les Paul

How do you guys feel about a 380 (as in Browning DA 380) for CCW?
    John
    KTM Duke 690

I am trying to rid myself of my Sig P9 and I am going to pick up a Sig P230 380 for my CCW instead. I believe the .380 is just a slightly shorter 9mm also known as a 9mm Kurtz. I have no personal experience with browning but by reputation alone I would say good buy. Although it looks like a medium frame gun so I can't understand why it is chambered in .380 and not 9mm or .40 S&W. Usually that caliber is reserved for small frame guns such as the Walther PPK or Sig P232.
    Last edited by Nerves; Thu May 14th, 2009 at 12:58 AM.

Lol has gone from meaning, "laugh out loud" to "I have nothing else to say".

Why is a school zone 20 mph? That seems like the optimal cruising speed for pedophiles...

R.I.P. Les Paul

If you get involved in a "firefight" (in used terms) with a CCW... maybe you should call 911 and go the other way. If you need 58 rounds, for a CCW, then maybe you need to work on your reason for having a CCW. My two cents, if you need those 58 rounds, you are causing more problems than good. You might want to go the other way to wake up the next day to see your wife, husband, mom, dad, kids, etc.

I think having a large magazine is good, but that should not be the only reason to buy a brand/caliber.
    Well I never said that I need all 58 rounds should the unfortunate arise and I have to defend myself. Fact is, I'll only need 1 or 2, maybe 3(considering a failure drill). However, the reason I carry 58 rounds, is because I can. It's not my fault my magazine holds 19 rounds and since my shoulder holster rig has a two mag pouch with it(and in order to make the weight distribution correct) I carry two full spare mags.

Honestly, when I carry on my hip, I usually just run one extra mag or just the one in the gun and no spare.

I firmly believe in "chance favors the prepared mind" so the fact that I'll carry one or two spare mags isn't completely for CCW reasons. Should I get stranded on say a remote mountain road or whatever the reason. I'd like to know that I've got enough firepower to cover my a** should anything happen. You just never know and I think being prepared for it, will always put you a leg up.

No I don't believe I'll ever be in a firefight were I'd need 58 rounds. I'm very proud of the fact that I can keep a very cool head in situations where they can escalate. I'm also and will continue to be proud of the fact that I've yet to have to un-holster my pistol for any reason. To be perfectly honest, being concealed carry was probably the best thing to ever happen to me and my demeanor. I used to be terrible with road rage, now I couldn't care less when someone cuts me off or yells at me for driving slow or whatever the reason my be. I just shrug it off because I am being held to a higher standard.

And just for sarcasm sake about living for loved ones, I'm not married(single actually), have no kids, only have parents and a dog. So yeah I really don't have much to live for anyway HAHAHA!! j/king
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
    How do you guys feel about a 380 (as in Browning DA 380) for CCW?
    .380 is kind of a small round, yeah it may do the trick but depending on who it's used against. Should you have the unfortunate incident of going against some 7 foot tall 350lb pissed of guy. I might want something with a little extra thump. However, a properly placed round will always do the trick and even a .380 placed in the ocular region of even the biggest dude will drop them like a rock. I just wouldn't put much stock in a .380 inflicting much damage in the thoracic/center of mass area.

I think the smallest I'd going(personally) would be a 9mm for CCW. Thing with 9mm is there are tons of self-defense rounds on the market now from all the manufactures. And some that perform very well. I know Cor-Bon has a hot-rodded +P round thumping in the 460lbs of muzzle energy range. Several manufactures make some very nice +P rounds in 9mm. Don't rule out the 147gr subsonic round for 9mm either.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"