Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cause of this crash?

Cause of this crash?

Soo I've been wasting a lot of time on you tube watching some good and not so good motorcycle videos. I've been playing the this is what you did wrong game at other people's expense and was a little unsure about this fellow...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3w8B...eature=related

I watched it a dozen times and it doesn't really seem like the bike slid out but it ran out of power and couldn't hold the line. From the sound of it there isn't much throttle...any thoughts?
    ~Fortitudo et Fides~
    ~Honoro in Diem~
    ~Ethos Anthropou Daimon~ Ole Greek sayin'
    ~To endeavor to speak the truth in every instance; to give nobody expectations that are not likely to be answered, but aim at sincerity in every word and action-the most amiable excellence in a rational being~Benjamin Franklin
    ~Rat a tat tat boom goes the RC51~

Re: Cause of this crash?

It looks like he got scared with the lean angle and tried to compensate some how.
    Nathaniel
    13 DRZ400SM (mine) -- 08 CBR 600RR (wife's) -- 06 GSX-R 600 (sold)
    I don't always test my code, but when I do, I do it in production.

It kinda looks like he started dragging hard parts which caused the tires to lose traction and the resulting low-side.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Was fear pure and simple. I have seen it cause more than one crash. They werent bikers; one was a videographer and the other a wanna be rider who became an actor in a minor tragedy.

The cause? Lack of skills and overall squidliness! Poor line selection. His body is on the wrong side of the road several times. Going slow, yet still not having much margin for error. Wow, there was a lot wrong with that vid. He was an accident waiting to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
    It kinda looks like he started dragging hard parts which caused the tires to lose traction and the resulting low-side.
    Agreed. Whether or not it was fear that caused him to chop the throttle I dunno, but it looks like he caught his toe or the peg & it scared the crap outta him. My money's on he was sticking his leg & toe out. If he catches the toe & his weight's in the wrong place then there's nothing to keep his body from pushing the bike down, which is what looks like what happened
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Initially I thought he hit the yellow line with his rear tire, and if it was wet at all, it could have caused the slide out.

Then I read everyones comments and saw what he did with his foot/leg. Looked almost like he was going to center his body but realized the turn was still a little sharper so he stuck his leg back out a bit. Probably the scraping a toe or peg that did it to him.

Did anyone else notice the distinct start-up music of the Valentine 1 Radar system in the car?! That was the first thing I noticed...haha

Its hard to tell but his front tire may have hit the yellow paint as well.
    Owner and General Manager - Fun Center Cycles in Durango, CO

11 BMW S1000RR - Street - Lady on the street
    13 Kawi ZX6R - Track - Freak in the bed
    13 Triumph Daytona 675R - Wifes bike

2014 MRA 400 Production Class Champion

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Too much lean angle (cold tires too) and he tucked the front. With better body positioning he could have made that turn with probably half the lean angle he had. His body is crossed up something fierce with his outside shoulder to the outside of the tank instead of over the middle of the tank.

This is a great example of what Bueller was referring to in the "I got my knee down" thread when he referred to the likely horrible body positioning in doing so. If you're going hard enough to get your knee down on the street with good body positioning, you're going way to fast for the street.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    His body is crossed up something fierce with his outside shoulder to the outside of the tank instead of over the middle of the tank.
    Yeah, his head was way back over the tank. Also, he puts his leg out and then pulls it back. Like something spooked him.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    Yeah, his head was way back over the tank. Also, he puts his leg out and then pulls it back. Like something spooked him.
    +1

Too much lean angle (cold tires too) and he tucked the front. With better body positioning he could have made that turn with probably half the lean angle he had. His body is crossed up something fierce with his outside shoulder to the outside of the tank instead of over the middle of the tank.
    Exactly, obviously it was a "look at me" video, cold tires (only went through a few turns), lack of skill... First real right hander, and he almost doesn't even make the turn, if the turn would have gone further, he would have crossed the yellow.

Cold tires + lack of skill + watch me on video = bad results

I'm in the he pinched his foot between bike and road and freaked out group.
    As for the "cold tire" argument...well, my opinion is unless he was on race take-offs he should have had plenty of grip for his apparent speed and road condition. Street tires are made to work at a wide range of temps and doing the "warm-up my tires weave" as this guy does at the beginning is just plain squidliness and does nothing for actually warming up tires.
    Like I said, MY opinion.
    Eric
    CSBA#477
    00 Triumph Sprint RS
    www.cocsba.com

looks like his rear tire lost traction. probably got a lifted by touching his hard parts/foot.

doesn't actually look like that bad of a corner either...
    ^Ted^

This is a great example of what Bueller was referring to in the "I got my knee down" thread when he referred to the likely horrible body positioning in doing so. If you're going hard enough to get your knee down on the street with good body positioning, you're going way to fast for the street.

Dirk
    Aaaamen!! Terrible body position!!! I've riden with people like this. Some even make sure they're not riding too fast for me. LMAO Track baby!! Speed limits = cheaper insurance!!

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    I'm in the he pinched his foot between bike and road and freaked out group.
    As for the "cold tire" argument...well, my opinion is unless he was on race take-offs he should have had plenty of grip for his apparent speed and road condition. Street tires are made to work at a wide range of temps and doing the "warm-up my tires weave" as this guy does at the beginning is just plain squidliness and does nothing for actually warming up tires.
    Like I said, MY opinion.
    I'm torn. He does do something weird with his left leg right before he biffs it. Either way, one word - unskilled
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

It looks like the reason the bike crashed was because a hard part dug into the ground. I would say the weird thing he did with his foot was the foot peg being pushed up by the feeler. And he was reacting to that weird feeling.

Right after he did the foot dance the bike seemed to bite into the ground and just fall over. The bike was steady before that.

But his riding position was bad. His lower body seemed okish. But his upper body/head was just glued to the center of the bike.

I remember the first time I pushed my foot peg up at the track. I really started focusing on body position after that. Just glad I did it at the track.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    snip...
    Either way, one word - unskilled
    And everyone says.......

UMMM....Yup!!!!

Kodak courage, baby!
    Eric
    CSBA#477
    00 Triumph Sprint RS
    www.cocsba.com

Yah he deffintly touched something to the pavement which caused the reflex-like knee tuck. It almost seems like he tried to adjust his posistioning and as a result and almost forced the bike down. I don't really see a tire slip-out being the cause of the slide because he's seems to only be going 20-30ish and the turn isn't 'that' bad.

Either way he certainly lacked skill and was trying to show off for the cam.

Hmm I watched it a couple more times and it looks like the road rises in elevation unexpectidly, causes the over-lean and probably the scrape.

Anyways interesting discussion!
    ~Fortitudo et Fides~
    ~Honoro in Diem~
    ~Ethos Anthropou Daimon~ Ole Greek sayin'
    ~To endeavor to speak the truth in every instance; to give nobody expectations that are not likely to be answered, but aim at sincerity in every word and action-the most amiable excellence in a rational being~Benjamin Franklin
    ~Rat a tat tat boom goes the RC51~

Sitting on top pushing bike down, leaning it way too much and hits paint with front tire at excess lean angle, looses front a bit, but since the bike is over so far that that little bit is enough to drag other hard parts, unweighted tires..........lowside

Bueller did it. Bueller made him crash.

Quote Originally Posted by King Nothing View Post
    Bueller did it. Bueller made him crash.
    Indeed!

Having his head up his ass as far as he did screwed up his body position.
    2005 Yamaha YZF-R6 (SOLD)
    2013 Yamaha FZ6R
    Stupidity should be painful.

the guy seemed like a real sketchy rider from the get go, was all over huggin the yellow like and crap.. Hard telling if he just seen himself going over the yellow line and freaked out to get it back across or just leaned into it more then he is use to..

Must suck only getting a 1:10 ride before you eat it.... all hail the squids
    "If you love something, let it go... If it comes back to you, you've just high sided!"

'01 GSXR 750~Scorpion Exhaust~Carbon rear wheel cover, chain guard, intake, mirrors and signals~Targa Windscreen

I'm suprised no one else pointed this out, but at the start of the video you see the speed limit is 30 mph... he appeared to be traveling faster then 30! =P

But yeah, I watched the crash part about a dozen times -- his toe seems to catch and while I can't tell for sure it looks like the front tire hit the paint line which tends to be pretty smooth, especially on cold tires with an excessive lean angle.

But like someone else said, it really was the biker just showing off without the skill, like sticking his knee out trying to drag -- we've all done it when trying to learn but I think he's a victim of showing off for the camera =P

At least he was wearing full gear though so probably wasn't hurt, but did anyone else notice his helmet fell off? Just after impact, it looks like his helmet went flying off but it could have been the front fairing breaking off; kind of ironic to wear a suit but forget to secure the chin strap!

-Clov
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

Quote Originally Posted by XJ600s View Post
    Initially I thought he hit the yellow line with his rear tire, and if it was wet at all, it could have caused the slide out.

Then I read everyones comments and saw what he did with his foot/leg. Looked almost like he was going to center his body but realized the turn was still a little sharper so he stuck his leg back out a bit. Probably the scraping a toe or peg that did it to him.

Did anyone else notice the distinct start-up music of the Valentine 1 Radar system in the car?! That was the first thing I noticed...haha
    That was what I thought as soon as he fell. Those lines are like ice in a full lean or when they're wet.
    2006 CBR600RR "Pearl"
    600RR.net