Thread: Steamboat 09 Final Details

Steamboat 09 Final Details

There is still time to sign up (until the last minute!) for this ride. I'll copy the list of committed riders at the bottom of these details. Please add or delete yourself at will (but do add yourself if you are going...we'd like to have an idea of how many are attending for planning purposes). This is the best ride I've done in Colorado...at least a thousand turns in a single day. Make it if you can.

The ride will take about 12 hours or so. It's not for beginners as the last leg is down the Poudre Canyon and it can be really dangerous, even more dangerous if you are tired. Bring gear for mountain passes. There will be four of them. This ride in the past has seen 85 degree down to 25 degree weather in one day. I'm wearing leather pants with long underwear underneath, riding boots with two pair of socks, leather jacket with liner and two or three shirts underneath. I'll also have a balaclava and complete rain gear, and two pairs of gloves (hot and cold). We will eat at the normal place in Steamboat (pretty good pizza place), but it will be later in the day. Last year I think we made it there by about 2:30 or 3:00. This means that you'll need to munch on something between (last year we stopped while it was snowing and downed coffee and beef jerky at a goober mart in Kremmling).

We will meet at my house, 1037 Bitterbrush Lane, in Fort Collins at 7:30 am for general bullshitting and whatnot and will leave promptly at 8:00 am. We will not stop for gas until Golden, so be fueled up before departure. We will not wait on anyone, so if you're one of those types, plan on riding from Fort Collins to Golden by yourself

We will be arriving in Golden (at the Loaf-N-Jug at 102 N. Rubey Drive) somewhere in between 9:15 and 9:45 depending on traffic and unforseen obstacles. We will leave Golden at 9:45 am sharp unless we arrive late. Please be ready to leave at 9:45 if you are meeting us there...this is a REALLY long ride and we need to be efficient at the start so we're not riding home in the dark and cold.

Another note that needs to be addressed is proper gear for this ride. I assume that everyone knows what this means, but on a few rides I've done in the past, this was not the case. So, just in case...we do ride spiritedly and the proper gear on our rides is required. The minimum will be sturdy shoes, thick pants (jeans), riding jacket, helmet and gloves. By no means is this the maximum. If you go down on the street with the minimum, you'll be in the hospital. You will find most people in full leather (even a few suits). Also, please do not neglect to bring the necessary cold-weather gear, because it will get very cold and nobody wants to loan you theirs. If you haven't ridden on a ride of this length and temperature difference before please pm me and I will be glad to tell you what you need.

Now that the details are explained...LET'S RIDE! HELL YES!!!!!! This was the most memorable ride for me last year and I can't wait to do it again!

See you Saturday morning. If for some case the weather turns shitty enough for us to call it off, I will post it so at the end of this thread as soon as we know.

Maps of the complete route will be handed out the morning of the ride at both locations. I'm sure there will also be some beer drinking in Fort Collins after the ride, but we'll talk about that at the last stop.

1. RCStylin
    2. Mathman
    3. She-rah
    4. Daemon
    5. BOUNTY HUNTER
    6. BHood (Ann Two-up)
    7. TomB
    8. Zach929rr
    10. FortitudoX
    11. NickNinja
    12. Rhino41
    13. Rhino41's Brother
    14. noskills
    Last edited by RCStylin'; Wed May 13th, 2009 at 04:07 PM.