Thread: Travel advice needed: California

Travel advice needed: California

My GF and I are going to Laguna Seca for the MotoGP race in July. I think our plan is to fly into LAX (it's cheapest and we can see her brother so I'm sold on this over san fran). Now, we might fly in on weds, stay in burbank weds night, then drive up to laguna on thurs.

Now, the question: Between thursday morning and thursday late afternoon, we're driving from LA to Laguna. What beach should we stop by to swim at for just a bit. ALSO, is Route 1 a cool road to take (it's about an hour longer than highway 5).

So I'm thinking just make a day long trip up rt 1 and find a cool beach to swim at. Anyone have any other good ideas?

Re: Travel advice needed: California

That shit is cold, dont know if you really want to swim :P
    MRA Expert #880 - 2015 AmateurGTO Champion, 2013 NoviceGTU Champion
    2006 YZF-R6 Race "No name" - 2005 YZF-R6 Street "Aurora"
    2015 Sponsors: Dunlop, Speedin Motorsports, STM Suspension, Silkolene Lubricants, EBC Brakes, Pit-Bull Products

Text: (72O) 432-7236

Hwy 1 is a great road but doesnt really get fun until you go north of Cambria. You can either take it all the way from LA or take the 101 north and shoot over on 46 before you hit Paso Robles, or just take it over from San Luis Obispo. Big issue right now is a 2 mile stretch near Big Sur collapsed back in March and probably will not be open by the time you go to Laguna. You won't be able to take hwy 1 all the way through.
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Quote Originally Posted by WolFeYeZ View Post
    That shit is cold, dont know if you really want to swim :P
    Is it really? I honestly have no clue since I've never swam the pacific

Quote Originally Posted by UglyDogRacing View Post
    Hwy 1 is a great road but doesnt really get fun until you go north of Cambria. You can either take it all the way from LA or take the 101 north and shoot over on 46 before you hit Paso Robles, or just take it over from San Luis Obispo. Big issue right now is a 2 mile stretch near Big Sur collapsed back in March and probably will not be open by the time you go to Laguna. You won't be able to take hwy 1 all the way through.
    good info thanks

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

I echo the HWY 1 statements, but as mentioned, check the road conditions first because of the collapse. Also, there's few places to cut inland on Hwy 1, so you might not be able to ride a lot of it because of the roadwork. It's an awesome road, but usually choked with assholes in RV's and other sightseer flotsam and jetsam. Driving or riding it mid-week is best to avoid that. I used to stay at the Motel 6 in Salinas, the one next to the Denny's so food was right next door (there's 2 in Salinas). It's not very far to the track, and it's WAY cheaper (and more available) than anything in Monterey. Carmel is a must-see place to visit, and try and do 17-mile drive too. Also, check out all there is to do in Monterey, the aquarium, the wharf, etc. I LOVE that area. I used to go at least once and usually twice a year from '86-'91, and then flew back in '93. I totally miss going every year. Have fun!
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

When u say carmel, do u mean a beach there or town or what? thanks for all the info

Quote Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
    Is it really? I honestly have no clue since I've never swam the pacific
    California Current flows south from Alaska. Wetsuit temps all year... Unless you're down in San Diego maybe...

You can jump in but you'll want to get out pretty quick.

Have patience if you take Hiway 1. RV's, bicycles up the ass, fog(sometimes). But it is something you should do ONCE.

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
    When u say carmel, do u mean a beach there or town or what? thanks for all the info
    Carmel is a little town on Hwy 1 South of Monterey. Beautiful little town, with a road (Beach blvd if I remember) that goes from the hwy straight down to a little park on the ocean. A bunch of awesome little cafe's, shops, high-end art galleries, resteraunts, and bars along that road. The Hog's Breath was (maybe still is) a cool bar at least part-owned by Clint Eastwood. The Carmel Bakery has awesome baked good, and the Scandia (if it's still there) has great food. Be aware that it's always cold and foggy in the mornings with a bone-chilling mist if you're riding. It usually burns off by about 10AM, but it's generally the norm every morning so be dressed for it. The Monterey marina has some really neat little shops and resteraunts, there used to be a good and cheap little fish&chips shop on the boardwalk on the NE end if I remember. It's an awesome trip, have fun and be safe! I SO miss going out there......
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Two things 1) the pacific is beyond cold up near Monterrey, as people have already mentioned. I have done LA area swimming without a wetsuit, but it is still cold. Up north is definite wetsuit time.
    2) Don't bother stopping for food on Hwy 1 between San Luis and Carmel. It is all over priced and most of it is bad. Eat before you leave or after you arrive. I stopped for food once on that drive and I am still pissed about it years later.
    1989 Honda Hawk,2005 crf250x supermoto

It is better to communicate good information than to offer misinformation in the name of good communication. Alastair B Fraser

Quote Originally Posted by Filo View Post
    Two things 1) the pacific is beyond cold up near Monterrey, as people have already mentioned. I have done LA area swimming without a wetsuit, but it is still cold. Up north is definite wetsuit time.
    2) Don't bother stopping for food on Hwy 1 between San Luis and Carmel. It is all over priced and most of it is bad. Eat before you leave or after you arrive. I stopped for food once on that drive and I am still pissed about it years later.
    Notable exception...

http://www.nepenthebigsur.com/

... of a great place to eat... but yes, pricey