Thread: Great ride, unpleasant surprise...

Great ride, unpleasant surprise...

So I went out and about just wandering on the bike today when I found myself in Pine Junction (I think that's the name??) on 285 and remember seeing that heading down Pine Valley Rd was supposed to be a nice bike ride. So I figured I'd give it a shot. Holy crap...what a beautiful ride!!! It runs the whole gamut...some sweepers, some sharper twisties, lakes, rivers/creeks, mountains and unfortunately the Deckers fire area. I really wish I'd had my SLR camera with me instead of my pocket Fuji, but I'll post what few pics I got as soon as I download them to the puter.

The bad part of the day tho was a mere 4 miles south of 285. I pop over a hill and see a bunch of vehicles parked in the right lane and one lonely emergency vehicle's flashing lights. I had that sinking feeling in my tummy as someone flagged me over. He apologized and said that they were going to be a few minutes. I parked the bike and took my helmet off and asked if it was a biker. He said it was, but he didn't know what happened, just said it looked bad. He commented on all of my gear and I told him that I wear it b/c I've picked up too many brains of riders w/out gear off the roads. When he found out I was a medic he asked if I could go help them out (turns out he was a volunteer FF waiting on the EMS to arrive.) I told him I could help if they really needed me, but thank god that is when the ambulance arrived. They were onscene all of five minutes and hauled ass down the hill to fly the rider to a trauma center. They let me walk around the scene to see what happened and it turns out he hit a deer. The deer was dead and the poor rider's bike was tossed down the mountain side. Had to suck to pull that thing back up! Anyway, the rider was alive at that point (they don't fly bodies ya know...) so here's to hoping for a speedy recovery whoever you are!!

The lesson in my rambling post? Pine Valley Rd from Pine Junction all the way to Woodland Park is a great ride. Lesson two... deer are all over the phucking place and are not our friends. I surely didn't expect one to be in that particular spot, but they are everywhere!
    ~Jess~
    2010 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
    2008 Kawi GREEN Ninja 650R

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    Sometimes things happen beyond our power and we can't make it. Like...your brake lines "accidentally" get cut, or a nice man comes through your window in the middle of the night and politely suggests you withdraw from the activity...who knows?

Re: Great ride, unpleasant surprise...

I almost hit a deer on that road..

It is gorgeous, but at a costly price. Please be safe out there guys. I still find myself traveling too fast on that road!

Prayers with the rider and his family, hopefully for a full and speedy recovery.
    For My Diavan

Quote Originally Posted by fullgrownbear View Post
    I almost hit a deer on that road..

It is gorgeous, but at a costly price. Please be safe out there guys. I still find myself traveling too fast on that road!
    Heck yeah... I wasn't going very fast to start off since I had no idea what the road was like...but that sure as hell slowed me waaaay down. I was able to speed up in the burn areas tho...nowhere for those suckers to hide! lmao
    ~Jess~

Sometimes things happen beyond our power and we can't make it. Like...your brake lines "accidentally" get cut, or a nice man comes through your window in the middle of the night and politely suggests you withdraw from the activity...who knows?

that sucks hope the rider heals quick.
    Do those deer thingies you put on the bumper of cars work? I've seen them in stores but have never seen one used even on a car
    Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.

Quote Originally Posted by chad23 View Post
    that sucks hope the rider heals quick.
    Do those deer thingies you put on the bumper of cars work? I've seen them in stores but have never seen one used even on a car
    My grandmother always had them on her car! lol
    I read somewhere that they are actually useless, but I can't reference the article for you - sorry!
    ~Jess~

Here you go Jess: http://www.deercrash.com/Toolbox/CMToolboxWhistles.pdf

Skip to table one...
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Ah well...there ya go! Thanks Zach!
    ~Jess~

best wishes!

You need one of these...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...52464745557505

WU-WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    "That which does not kill you only postpones the inevitable."

^^^ rofl.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

lmao...kudos to whomever it was that added the text to the bottom....never seen ebonics written for an interview! lmao
    ~Jess~

I just got back from Oakland this morning and let me tell you, that IS how it is overthere! I didn't, however, see or hear any of the Whowooooo!
    "Leze Le Bon Temps Roulet"
    Let The Good Times Roll!!

Yes, came across that accident this afternoon. Rider was in a gurney, stabilized, and they were preparing to place him in the truck for the ride to the copter. Could you tell the kind of bike and if the rider was wearing protection? Were you standing by the green Kawasaki? Was unsettling to pass through.

I've been 2 bikes behind when this happened(Christian Cowboy was with me)..and it was an ELK. Its one of the most scariest experiences ever. What was it Chris said the other day..its Dusk. They call it Deer Creek for a reason. Even thought we only saw a fox that night...I had my eyes peeled. Its not something I ever want to see again. The guy I knew turned out ok...the bike a gonzer.

07 GSXR 750
    07 GSXR 600 (RIP)

Deer are Evil:

Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

how long of a ride was that?

~BaRned~

Always be careful out there guys. Ride slow, steady pace just enjoy the scenery. If you want fast!!! do it in the track, like me lol. See out there.... enjoy.

Having been hit by a deer all I can say is Wow. Hopefully he pulls through. I definitely have my eyes open to deer possibilities all the time, now.
    Photogallery * Google+ * Facebook! * STFU
    Quote Originally Posted by Suki View Post
    god bless thongs and low self esteem women.

Quote Originally Posted by sfarson View Post
    Yes, came across that accident this afternoon. Rider was in a gurney, stabilized, and they were preparing to place him in the truck for the ride to the copter. Could you tell the kind of bike and if the rider was wearing protection? Were you standing by the green Kawasaki? Was unsettling to pass through.
    Yes, that was me on the green Ninja with the obnoxious hi-viz yellow vest on. The firefighter actually wanted me to stick near him after I looked around so traffic would notice us quicker. lol
    I did not get a chance to see what/if any gear the rider was wearing, but his bike looked like it was probably a standard or maybe a smaller cruiser. It was hard to tell being wadded up and being way down the embankment. However, I watched a biker turn down Pine Valley not too far ahead of me and if it was him, he had a leather jacket and either a brain bucket, or three quarter helmet on with eye protection. Were you with the group of two that passed through or by yourself? A few bikes passed by after I got there.

Quote Originally Posted by vmax2003 View Post
    how long of a ride was that?
    Hmm...hard to tell since I had to stop for the wreck on the way down and I kept stopping for pics and to look around on the way back up. I even fueled up in Woodland Park and I'm brain farting on the mileage now! Doh! lol
    Here's one link about the route:
    http://www.motorcyclecolorado.com/de...highway_67.htm
    And I actually found the route on http://www.openroadjourney.com but the site is froggy right now and I can't pull the route up. It said that it takes between 2-4 hours...but it certainly didn't feel that long! lol
    ~Jess~

edited....got ninja'd
    Last edited by Slo; Tue May 19th, 2009 at 12:06 PM.

Was black and either like a standard or smaller cruiser Jay...very hard to tell from my vantage point. I really tried to look, but just couldn't tell unfortunately.
    ~Jess~