Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: frame sliders

Re: frame sliders

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    I researched this a few months ago and found that most the people on cbr.net recommended the Shoguns. I found a set on Ebay for $50 and was impressed with the quality of them. I did do the "cut" sliders since I read some bad reviews on the "no cut". I did like the Woodcraft as well, but they seemed more to protect the frame and not the plastics because of how short they are. Also do not get too long of sliders because they have been known to break or cause the bike to flip in a crash.
    See below.

Quote Originally Posted by Matty View Post
    they are called Frame Sliders not Plastic Protecters.
    I play more games that Coleco!!

Don't crash. Then you don't need frame sliders.

+1 with others. no cuts are crap. LSL are great and very streamlined but don't help as much if you're looking for protection for the plastics. I have shoguns and they have worked great on multiple instances. I kind of like the woodcraft, good quality and you can buy replacment ends, but I've never used them personally. Long story, anything is better than nothing. You roll the dice everytime you crash....so don't crash.

Hehe... I knew I was just inviting the smart aleck comments in writing this thread at all! Yes, I know that sliders are not specifically to protect plastics, but that they can sometimes help as an added bonus (being no stranger to rashing/destryoing plastics). After my lowside and seeing how my rear spools protected the swingarm, I'm thinking I should just complete the package and get the sliders.

My comment on the longer sliders potentially causing a flip was a concern about potential frame damage. If the bike is going to be sliding like that, I'm not overly worried about the plastics... my worry is going to be my butt and the bike's frame. I'm just imagining that if a slider gets wrenched hard enough to CAUSE a flip, that it is going to be wrenched hard enough to start bending bolts and potentially harm the frame it is supposed to protect.

Having said as much, I'm going to say that my run of bad days on the bike is over and I'm not going to have to test any sliders out. So I want some that don't look goofy as heck on the bike and I like the look of the LSL's...plus they are supposed to be good if I DO end up testing 'em.... lol
    ~Jess~
    2010 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
    2008 Kawi GREEN Ninja 650R

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    Sometimes things happen beyond our power and we can't make it. Like...your brake lines "accidentally" get cut, or a nice man comes through your window in the middle of the night and politely suggests you withdraw from the activity...who knows?

no plastics = no worries about cutting or scratching plastics
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

the mushroom shapped slider pucks on the lsl's (in addition to looking like a dick) are most likely to skip out of a pot hole or divot, but think of frame sliders kind of like air bags in cars. Not having them in a car puts you at moderate to significant risk in a rash (providing your're wearing your seatbelt), but having them doesn't garuantee that you won't get injured or die in a crash. No sliders puts the frame at moderate to significant risk in a crash, but having them doesn't ensure that your bike will survive a crash.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

Terra crashed at Miller doing 120+ and had LSL sliders. Picked up the bike and rode the rest of the day. I ordered mine a day later.............
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

2005 Yamaha YZF-R6 (SOLD)
    2013 Yamaha FZ6R
    Stupidity should be painful.

I have T-rex no cut sliders on my Superhawk. It saved the fairings in a low speed low side but it did bend the bracket that came with them.

http://www.t-rex-racing.com/

Another guy on superhawkforum.com has a 905 cage that he swears by.

http://www.racing905.com/products.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Vess View Post
    Just ordered these for my FZ6, thanks for the link.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Jess.. just remember to install them right away instead of keeping them on a shelf in your garage then low siding and installing them like I did. I agree.. slider cost is way better than plastics. I'm lookin at about $460.00 with out any discounts for my 08 Gixxer.
    - Fug-it.. Know your worth.
    - "SUV's get Groceries, Jeeps get Dirty"
    - '08 GSXR 600 Blue/White

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

I have crash tested the Motovation sliders on the race bike and they performed admirably.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

I have Shoguns on my R1 and they held up fine in a lowside at the track. Did great as a matter of fact. However, they mount direct on my bike without bracketry...

Quote Originally Posted by konichd View Post
    Terra crashed at Miller doing 120+ and had LSL sliders. Picked up the bike and rode the rest of the day. I ordered mine a day later.............
    So how did the plastics hold up; always wondered how LS1's would do on that account?

Yes I know "frame slider" are for the frame, but if they also protect the plastics then that is an added bonus. I have crashed at the track and my plastics did not get one scratch on them even though I wore over an inch off the slider.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    I have crash tested the Motovation sliders on the race bike and they performed admirably.

Dirk
    I drop tested mine and they saved the plastics.
    2005 Yamaha YZF-R6 (SOLD)
    2013 Yamaha FZ6R
    Stupidity should be painful.

Been alot of people in on this one. May as well throw my hat in the ring. I myself have been eyeing the Woodcraft sliders for my bike. Now I dont have to worry about cutting but if I did i still would cut them.
    R.I.P. Lahela 10/12/1986-08/01/2008

Want to become a super hero? http://www.donoralliance.org/info-page-1

"I don't fail I just succeed at finding ways that don't work."
    Chris Titus

CSC Spelling Bee Champ 2008 and 2009

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    So how did the plastics hold up; always wondered how LS1's would do on that account?

Yes I know "frame slider" are for the frame, but if they also protect the plastics then that is an added bonus. I have crashed at the track and my plastics did not get one scratch on them even though I wore over an inch off the slider.
    He had some scratches on the tail and on the lower. LSL's aren't designed to save plastics, they incorporate a "drag plate" on the pad to prevent your bike from rotating and since they don't stick out to far they won't dig in and flip you bike like other brands.

LSL's would be my first choice, then woodcraft or motovations.
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz