Thread: Gifts for Mongolian Teachers

Gifts for Mongolian Teachers

Since the Russians no longer occupy Mongolia, the people there are striving to learn English instead as they now have an elected Parliament, Prime Minister, and President.
    I will be leaving in about two weeks for a 17-day English teaching stint in the rural areas near Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia. I wondered if any of you have a business that would like to donate items for me to take as gifts to the teachers?
    Notepads, pens, company items, T-shirts, etc.
    Pm me and I'll give an address or arrange for pickup.
    Thanks....

Last edited by Pandora-11; Thu May 28th, 2009 at 12:29 AM. Reason: grammar issue

"....dumb.....arrogant......condescending..... .
    lunatic.....douche....limited.....nut-case...."

oh...and from PMs "dumb broad".

"Posted by chanke4252"

AKA "Devaclis"

Re: Gifts for Mongolian Teachers

Why do they need to learn English? They are from Mongolia. Just curious about that.

I can get together a bunch of pens, pencils, and notepads.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

In the past they taught their students Russian in addition to their own Mongolian lang.
    Most countries enjoy being multilingual, much the way we teach our students Spanish, French, etc. These teachers have been teaching their students English as a second lang but have not been instructed by English-speaking people. Their accents are dubious at best. They don't like the Chinese people or Mandarin would seem like the logical choice.
    As a new democracy since c. 1992, they want to become part of the other democratic countries.....countries that are predominantly English-speaking. That's my understanding. Since the Russians have moved out, the U.S. is taking a larger responsibility in that region.

Thank YOU!!!!!
    Last edited by Pandora-11; Wed May 27th, 2009 at 04:02 PM.

"Posted by chanke4252"

How about CU or CSU stuff?..... cups, pencils, stickers? no?

"Posted by chanke4252"

AKA "Devaclis"

You need rulers too?
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    You need rulers too?
    That would be great!!!!

yay yay
    I'll send you an address or come pick them up at a bike night.....what would ya prefer?

"Posted by chanke4252"

AKA "Devaclis"

Either way, I am right next to Bostons bike night meeting place or I can ship them

I do not have a ton but I will get everything I can.

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

I spoke to the powers that be. All logo marked items cannot be shipped overseas as it is state of Colorado property. If customs were to open up your cans and there was CU stuff inside we'd never hear the end of it. I was told that we give to local and stateside charities only.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    I spoke to the powers that be. All logo marked items cannot be shipped overseas as it is state of Colorado property. If customs were to open up your cans and there was CU stuff inside we'd never hear the end of it. I was told that we give to local and stateside charities only.
    Oh rats!!! Thanks for asking though!

"Posted by chanke4252"

Either way, I am right next to Bostons bike night meeting place or I can ship them

I do not have a ton but I will get everything I can.
    I can't come this Wed. but perhaps next. That will save you shipping which can get expensive. thank you!

"Posted by chanke4252"

I spoke to my contact from Mongolia this evening. He lives there fulltime and is in CO for a few weeks. He said there is no reason that we couldn't bring CU property into the country. In fact, he said there is a CU extension university there in Ulaanbaatar. So.....? Don't know what's up.

"Posted by chanke4252"

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora-11 View Post
    I spoke to my contact from Mongolia this evening. He lives there fulltime and is in CO for a few weeks. He said there is no reason that we couldn't bring CU property into the country. In fact, he said there is a CU extension university there in Ulaanbaatar. So.....? Don't know what's up.
    If you want CU swag than my suggestion is to contact the CU extension your contact is affiliated with and go through them. The decision to not provide you with items was not made by me but came from the top down.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

If you want CU swag than my suggestion is to contact the CU extension your contact is affiliated with and go through them. The decision to not provide you with items was not made by me but came from the top down.
    Ok....that university isn't called CU but Ulaanbaatar something or nother....the point was to bring items specifically that were from Colorado
    that read Colorado....I can probably get some cheaply made ones from Walmart....but thanks for trying.

"Posted by chanke4252"

Every person I know that has gone to outer China/Mongolia/Tibet/Nepal to "teach English" is a religious missionary going to preach about their "religion" and impose it on people who don't know any better. In most cases, people can't go to the country as a religious representative. And usually they can't get a visa unless they are "helping the country" (usually by "teaching English"). Many times, not all times, this is a religious motivated trip.

AKA "Devaclis"

Gah! They took my rulers!!!

I will track down some more. I am also asking the staff here at my company to donate if they can.

Thems childrens gotsta get some learnin'!!!

One.....we don't need a visa for this trip. Two....
    Really?
    http://www.mongolianembassy.us/eng_c...nformation.php

people who come to rural camps to learn the correct lang.
    Gotta love ethnocentic americans.

I would have rather you asked..not assumed.
    I didn't assume. In no part of my post did I suggest that you or your group were going over there for that reason, I simply stated that many people do.

...we ARE sponsored by a faith-based organization, but we raise our own support. Much like any faith-based organization, we go to help....feed, take supplies, teach skills, etc. Are we equipped to share beliefs when asked? yes......and to a country whose religious freedoms were taken away, (their Buddhist priests imprisoned) for about 100 years by Communism...it's reason to celebrate.
    My objective is so that people know what they are donating to. To me, personally, it's a matter of full disclosure. Being religion based you may lose some supporters, but equally you may gain other ones. People reading this post should know what the motivation of the trip is.

:looks for a 10 foot pole with which to poke this thread:

Good luck!
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

I was donating a large portion of my summer time to help while raising my own funds to help people....I didn't really expect to be criticized for it...questioned?
    I wasn't criticizing or questioning, just stating my thoughts. Good for you, for donating your time and efforts for a cause that you believe in.

As far as being ethnocentric....the teachers ASKED us to come teach them the standard pronunciations of our language....how's that?
    I was just being over analytical on your wording by choosing the phrase "correct language". Just one of my traveling pet peeves. If they are asking you to come and help, I applaud your effort for assisting them.

Again, I'm not calling out your actions. I personally don't agree with them, but my objective is not to post up and criticize your actions. It's not personal at all, just digging for info. One big detail, is that if there was CU sponsored clothing, there could be effects of donating it to a faith based organization teaching English in Mongolia. That can potentially cause serious problems for a state university. Just sayin'

I'm going to leave it at this and not drag it on the discussion. I hope you have a very safe trip. I've been to China and Nepal but would love to see Tibet and Mongolia as well!

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    I wasn't criticizing or questioning, just stating my thoughts. Good for you, for donating your time and efforts for a cause that you believe in.

I was just being over analytical on your wording by choosing the phrase "correct language". Just one of my traveling pet peeves. If they are asking you to come and help, I applaud your effort for assisting them.

Again, I'm not calling out your actions. I personally don't agree with them, but my objective is not to post up and criticize your actions. It's not personal at all, just digging for info. One big detail, is that if there was CU sponsored clothing, there could be effects of donating it to a faith based organization teaching English in Mongolia. That can potentially cause serious problems for a state university. Just sayin'

I'm going to leave it at this and not drag it on the discussion. I hope you have a very safe trip. I've been to China and Nepal but would love to see Tibet and Mongolia as well!
    Well said

AKA "Devaclis"

What is the deadline for getting this to you?
    I am going to the Springs next week to try to get more stuff.

Leaving on June 16. Thanks. I can give you an address if you're coming this way or meet with you.
    Last edited by Pandora-11; Thu May 28th, 2009 at 01:54 PM.

"Posted by chanke4252"

AKA "Devaclis"

Screw them. Keep your thread going. Just delete all of the non related posts.

Don't quit being kind.

Screw them. Keep your thread going. Just delete all of the non related posts.

Don't quit being kind.
    Agreed