Thread: Guanella Pass - Car Camping Spots?

Question Guanella Pass - Car Camping Spots?

I wanted to do some camping this weekend out at Lost Park, but since I'm dealing with time constraints from a few different people who are coming along, I need to keep it closer to town. I am thinking something off of Guanella Pass, but most of the campgrounds I've seen up there are right off the road (which I don't like). Does anyone know of any decent spots up there that are off the beaten path a little bit? I know people are hardcore about giving out their "secret spots," but if you have some "not so secret" spots you'd be willing to share, I'd appreciate it.

I'd also consider any spots within an hour of Denver - it doesn't necessarily have to be at Guanella. I'm just looking for something that is not the typical defined "campground"... a fire ring and relatively clear view to the skies at night is all I'm really looking for. Oh yeah, must be 4x4 accessible (not hiking out just yet).

Re: Guanella Pass - Car Camping Spots?

I have heard feats of 4 door cars making it about 1/3-1/2 of the way up Geneva Basin (That's the big campgrounds along the pass). I can tell you how to get there in detail if you are interested. Basically the only thing you will find at a campsite is a pit, MAYBE some extra firewood pre-chopped, and MAYBE something to sit on. It's the way to do it in my book. Definitely bring an axe/chainsaw to chop dead wood up.... possibly a gas/diesel mixture in case it gets rainy (which is does quick up there).

All in all, I don't camp anywhere else besides Geneva Basin.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

There are some nice primitive camp spots behind Allenspark. I got invited up there once so all I remember it's west of the town up some forest road by a creek.

Also up in and around St Marys, or this side of the tunnel at Rollinsville (look up Mammoth Gulch, Apex, Loch Lomond)
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Check out Jackson Creek Road south of Rampart... Close to town, car (be a bit tough) and stock 4X accessible.

You might also check out the Lost Creek Wilderness area up on Kenosha Pass.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Thumbs up Re: Guanella Pass - Car Camping Spots?

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    You might also check out the Lost Creek Wilderness area up on Kenosha Pass.
    Yeah, that's my favorite spot, and what I mean by "Lost Park" in my first post. Just too damn far considering the time constraints of some of my friends this weekend.

Thanks for all the suggestions tho - these are great! Keep 'em comin'!

PM'd on G. Basin. I was looking at trying to go up there in 2-4 weeks.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd