Thread: Motorcycle Instruction Permit Question.

Motorcycle Instruction Permit Question.

So I'm a little confused as to what the rules are regarding a rider with a permit in this state. I first thought they were the as California. In California a permit enetitles you to all the same priveledges as a licensed rider except your not allowed to ride on the highways after dark.

I just now read something that says with a permit you can only ride when in the direct supervision of someone with a valid motorcycle license 21 or over. Is this true? If so that's pretty lame.
    Bikes, Babes, and Booze.

Speed is relative.

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

Re: Motorcycle Instruction Permit Question.

Yes you have to be within sight distance of the licensed rider as well.
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

Yea we are pretty lame here, we wish we were as cool as Cali but what can you do?

I think we have plenty of licensed noobs that are a dangers to themselves and others, better to not have a butt load of un-licensed "riders" that have no incentive to acquire a proper endorsement, but yea pretty lame.

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    Yea we are pretty lame here, we wish we were as cool as Cali but what can you do?

I think we have plenty of licensed noobs that are a dangers to themselves and others, better to not have a butt load of un-licensed "riders" that have no incentive to acquire a proper endorsement, but yea pretty lame.
    There's a big difference between a noob and a squid. Whether a guys got 5 days riding or 15 years riding an idiots going to be and idiot and a responsible rider is going to be a responsible rider.

The incetive to aquire a proper endorsment is that your permit is only valid for 6 months. At which time you can if need be file for an extension that is granted one time only.
    Bikes, Babes, and Booze.

Speed is relative.

I am a licensed rider over 21. I'll follow you around for $5 an hour plus gas. Let me know cuz I got a lot of other offers...

Quote Originally Posted by THE3BS View Post
    There's a big difference between a noob and a squid. Whether a guys got 5 days riding or 15 years riding an idiots going to be and idiot and a responsible rider is going to be a responsible rider.
    You would call someone with 15 years a squid if he didn't subscribe to the approved non squid gear requirements. A noob is just that, inexperienced, new to riding.

Quote Originally Posted by BHeth View Post
    I am a licensed rider over 21. I'll follow you around for $5 an hour plus gas. Let me know cuz I got a lot of other offers...
    Or you could just help out another rider and do it for free.
    -Greg
    2013 BMW R1200GS

Quote Originally Posted by Think View Post
    Or you could just help out another rider and do it for free.
    Are you serious? Because I wasn't.

If you are a good enough rider to ride on the streets, you are good enough to go take the test and get a full license. If you aren't ready to pass the test, you got no business on the streets.

^ I agree
    Nathaniel
    13 DRZ400SM (mine) -- 08 CBR 600RR (wife's) -- 06 GSX-R 600 (sold)
    I don't always test my code, but when I do, I do it in production.

Seriously though, if you need someone to go to a parking lot with you so you can practice, let me know. I would be happy to observe you while you go through the basic starting/stopping, low speed maneuver type stuff. We can even go through the book for the written test stuff if you're sketchy on any of that. Then you can get your license and you won't have to worry about it. I certainly won't charge you. LOL.

If you can swing the cost, the MSF course is great fun and you will leave with what you need to get your license.

Nothing in the riding part of the exam has anything to do with being on the streets. It's more about making sure you can ride around in a parking lot without falling over. Therefore no practice on the streets and highways is necessary. Leave that for after you have your license, taking it slow around the neighborhood and working your way out as you gain skill and confidence.

If you already have the skills and just need someone to follow you to the DMV so you can test, let me know.

You are right, Think. I should be offering up some help instead of smart assed comments. Thanks for reminding me of that. I sometimes forget what a pain in the ass it can be to get stuff like this done. I'd been riding for almost 30 years when I took the MSF. I was bikeless, so I took it so I could get my license and test ride some bikes before buying. Can't buy without a test ride, can't test ride without a license, can't get a license without a bike to take the test on.
    Last edited by BHeth; Tue Jun 2nd, 2009 at 06:10 AM.

Have any of you passed the test on a 600? I've only heard of people being able to do it on a 250.
    Bikes, Babes, and Booze.

Speed is relative.

I am sure it's been done on virtually every bike out there. You know dudes show up on Gixxer grands and Goldwings to do the test. It's all about controlling the bike at low speeds. Start, stop with the tire between some cones, stuff like that. They used to do a figure 8, but people have been saying they no longer do.

If you are unsure, and can afford the $250 or whatever they are charging these days, do the MSF. You'll learn some good stuff in there. The only problem might be that this late in the year a lot of classes will be booked up already.