Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 25 July!

Gold Member

Re: 25 July!

i guess i failed to express what i was tryn to say.. i hate the computer.. yes i know they would do more then just that just sayn to do 2 or 3 in a days period would suck..

Hey the linky isn't working. But it doesn't surprise me one bit that it was posted.
    R.I.P. Lahela 10/12/1986-08/01/2008

Want to become a super hero? http://www.donoralliance.org/info-page-1

"I don't fail I just succeed at finding ways that don't work."
    Chris Titus

CSC Spelling Bee Champ 2008 and 2009

Gold Member

the link works its just you have to have advanced access to get into the chick pics area..

Good luck with your endeavor. I too was looking into a motorcycle business and the costs are exorbitant. What sounds good in ones head needs a good dose of reality such as insurance, beating the internet, insurance, real estate costs, insurance, inventory (if it's not in stock why shop there--internet), insurance, dealing with employees, insurance. Wife and 4 kids will require a bit of your time and opening a business will require all the other, no time for play. Medical insurance is expensive. My point is insurance killed my idea as I would have had to charge more than was acceptable to me. Life is also greener elsewhere and I know the military is not right for everyone--I hated it, but owning a business is also not all what is cracked up to be. Just look at the numbers realistically. Housing, health insurance, shop rental, food, clothing, inventory, auto insurance, utilities, etc.. and you are looking at 5K per month minimum before you have sold 1 item. It would be well worth the money for a feasibility study to see if area could support and you be able to sustain you business. Not trying to piss on you parade just a reality check. Good luck.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zetaetatheta View Post
    but owning a business is also not all what is cracked up to be. Just look at the numbers realistically.
    Zeta's right on the mark. You've also got a variety of taxes and an accountant to make sure you are paying them like you're supposed to...

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Yeah, one of the reasons I am headed to the Springs for a week is to talk with my uncle. If any of you have ever been to Harris Used Parts on Las Vegas, you've probably met him. He's been very successful with his business, and I've talked with him a little about starting this one, and he's willing to help out with things...

What started out as a $100,000 startup has become somewhere around a $300,000 startup now, but if that's what it takes, then you can't skimp, or like you say - people will go somewhere else. Of course, we'll have a web presence as well and that can boost sales/business a lot.

The wife and I have decided we're good with no vacations for 5+ years and working 80+ hours a week 7 days a week if need be to make this thing succeed. We've got some money saved up for our personal savings which should make the first bit go easier as it's starting up.

This is kind of the informal feasibility study, just testing the waters.

Here's a question that google can't seem to answer for me - How many sportbke riders are there in Colorado Springs/ surrounding areas?
    MSF Rider Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Fizzy View Post
    Here's a question that google can't seem to answer for me - How many sportbke riders are there in Colorado Springs/ surrounding areas?
    a bigger question is how many are into the stunts, and stunt riding.

Quote Originally Posted by Brat View Post
    a bigger question is how many are into the stunts, and stunt riding.
    As I and a few others have said - this store isn't all about stunts. While I will be supplying all the stuff you need to build a stunt bike, I'll also have everything you need for a good race bike, as well as a dyno to tune your daily rider (as well as the racers and stunters) for better performance and gas mileage. In fact if I had to pick a "flagship" of the company it would be the dyno and everything it makes possible, and not the stunt stuff I'll carry, mostly because it is a niche market. Of course I'll have the park, and that will naturally draw in the wheelie poppers...

Guaranteed anyone that rides a sportbike will be able to walk into the shop and see things they want/need...
    MSF Rider Coach

So, thinking more and more about this, and doing research/ realizing how hard this will be competing with online sources for parts.....

And here's something I think I should have asked and didn't.

What would you want from a parts/gear/service shop?

I want to hear everything from free wi-fi to having a dartboard for waiting on your bike to be serviced, to... I don't know what else!

Let me know, and hopefully I can incorporate it into my business plan!

And I guess if nobody has any real "Wants", all your desires are being met, and maybe there isn't room for my business there. I'm thinking that chances are you guys can come up with something tho...
    MSF Rider Coach

i like a parts guy that knows what hes talking about and is on top of his stuff. Knows something about tires and brake pads besides a price, as an example if you know what i'm talking about. you have all ready mentioned stunt parts so i'm already drawn in from that. i some ways i would rather deal with a person face to face when buying something new for my bike. yeah sure buying on the internet maybe cheaper sometimes. but some times i'm in a buying mood and i want something now. and talking to somebody in person usually makes me feel a little more at ease.

the only idea i think you really were looking for is to have a nice hd tv inside and have videos play. like peoples "TRACK" and stunt footage. i like watching bikes when i'm not riding bikes. dart boards are cool too...

Dacing girls in cages.

But to be fair, we have a lot of ladies, so I reckon you're counter staff will have to be shirtless and have 6 pack abs
    GSXRScott made me follow him into that corner,...down that hill...there was the time up that washout...crankcase alley...man I gotta stop following him.
    Quote Originally Posted by PharmerKyle View Post
    ...I knew all too well what would happen if the old guy on the Beemer took the lead...

Quote Originally Posted by Mental View Post
    Dacing girls in cages.

But to be fair, we have a lot of ladies, so I reckon you're counter staff will have to be shirtless and have 6 pack abs

haha, yeah, maybe we'll just have some posters? lol.

I was thinking about having a waiting area with a TV, maybe a 360 or something, get some MotoGP 07 action going...

I can feel you on a knowledgeable parts guy, someone that knows what he's selling - check!

Sounds good, anyone know how many parts stores there are around there? I looked at Parts Unlimited dealers and it looks like there's only 2 in all of the Springs? That's encouraging .
    MSF Rider Coach

Hey all, I'm in town, where's the party?

I pretty much don't have any plans til I leave on Friday morning, so if there's anything going down - wheelies maybe?

I also need to buy a helmet or two while I'm here, and maybe some gloves, so wanna go to a parts/gear spot, and wouldn't mind getting out to some bike shops.... or whatever is going on!

Let me know!
    MSF Rider Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Fizzy View Post
    Hey all, I'm in town, where's the party?

I pretty much don't have any plans til I leave on Friday morning, so if there's anything going down - wheelies maybe?

I also need to buy a helmet or two while I'm here, and maybe some gloves, so wanna go to a parts/gear spot, and wouldn't mind getting out to some bike shops.... or whatever is going on!

Let me know!
    hit up the lot one of these nights. we'll be making wheelies.

Quote Originally Posted by navajowalks View Post
    hit up the lot one of these nights. we'll be making wheelies.

We'll be there around 7:00 PM... after dinner and all that... ANyone got an extra helmet? I'm bringing my video camera if anyone is interested in bein in a movie...
    MSF Rider Coach

interested to see were this goes. i ride with anywere from 10-20 bikes.

Well we skipped last night due to the rain and all... gonna try to hit it up tonite if the weather holds.
    MSF Rider Coach