Thread: Used bike purchase advise

Used bike purchase advise

So as some of you guys know I bought a used 2006 Triumph Speed Triple this weekend from Erico. The sales guy Kurt was very nice and the experience was smooth. I looked over the bike pretty good when I got it but the bike was outside in the sun. Well today was the first day I actually got to ride it and I parked it in my garage at work. While I was showing a co-worker I started to notice a couple of "larger" sized dents in the tank that look like they have been PDR'd. This was not noted when I bought it. Do I have any kind of recourse or is it a matter of how nice they want to be? Its significant enough I would have offered a couple hundred less or not bought the bike. I just got it on Saturday.

Any tips?

Re: Used bike purchase advise

That's a bummer, I would think you could go back there and atleast tell them about it in a nice manner. But I would not expect to get a few hundred back. Although, to make you happy, that is what they MIGHT do incase you refer someone else. Still a good looking bike
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

You're best bet will be to have them comp you a cheap helmet or service or something. I seriously doubt they'll ever hand you any cash.

Did you sign a forms or Bill of Sale that stated the bike is "As Is"?? If so, I think you're in a tough spot. When you purchase anything used, most dealers always have you sign a form/agreement when purchasing that you are buying the vehicle/bike in "As Is" condition and that nothing else is promised or noted in the transaction.

You might consider going back to talk to them about it. But I wouldn't be surprised if they just brush you off, because now it's a done deal. And I don't care what dealership it is, from cars, trucks to bikes. Once you're out the door with the purchase and papers signed. You no longer exist to them. And I'm speaking from experience, I've got a long history of dealing with all kinds of dealers in the past. Not one of my purchases whether car, truck or bike has been pleasant. It's about like getting your gums scraped.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Yeah I talked to Kurt about it briefly today but my guess is they wont do anything. I dont believe they knew about it but still just sucks. I dont know if its worth my time to drive downtown...sigh.

Frankly, I would be surprised if they did anything at all, but you won't know unless you ask.

When I bought my blackbird, it was in the back of the showroom buried under other bikes. When they pulled it out we noticed a scratch on the fender. Since I got the bike for cost, they wouldn't take anymore off, but they did sell me a new fender at cost... since they would have had to put one on anyways.

You may go in and talk to the manager and see about getting a new deal on a new tank. If I were you, I would go in. It's a lot easier to dismiss someone over the phone.

These are the things that earn dealerships their reputations. I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to go back to Aurora Honda or Foothills BMW/Triumph because of how I've been treated.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Ill see if I can ride up there Sat and see what they say. Im not the type of person that would yell at someone over this. Its partially my fault for not noticing it so cant be to mad lol.

I wouldn't go in there with an axe to grind, be professional and see if they will make it right.

And if all else fails, Triumph uses house of colors paint. Have it repaired and reshot, then don't worry about it.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!

On the upside, you have a cool Speed Triple.
    Wanna buy your jacket back? [8^)
    GSXRScott made me follow him into that corner,...down that hill...there was the time up that washout...crankcase alley...man I gotta stop following him.
    Quote Originally Posted by PharmerKyle View Post
    ...I knew all too well what would happen if the old guy on the Beemer took the lead...

Quote Originally Posted by merlotSV View Post
    Its partially my fault for not noticing it so cant be to mad lol.
    Dude, no offense, but isn't this totally your fault? You said you looked the bike over and missed the dents. Did you expect the salesman to tell you about every inch of the bike and to bring any flaws to your attention? Because I don't think that is in their job description. I could understand if you bought the bike sight-unseen and it was represented to have a perfect tank, but you looked at it and signed the papers.

That said, I bet they will do something for you. Maybe free/discounted labor on a service, or a discount on some gear or tires or something. Erico is pretty high-end. High-end dealers are known for doing more for their rich, snotty customers (not talking about you, bro).

Don't blame it on them, as that is likely to just piss them off, and make you look foolish. Admit that it is your fault, but let them know you are pretty bummed about it. Be extra nice, and mention you are a member of the largest sportbike club in the state, and just can't wait to rave to everyone about how awesome Erico is.

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    Have it repaired and reshot, then don't worry about it.

+1 fix it and
    http://www.rapidfirebunker.com
    $15 FFL TRANSFERS. $15 Private Transfers
    Emergency Preparedness Store, Survival BULK Food, knives, Guns, Ammo, FREEDOM

Ummm where did I ever say it was their fault??? I noted that I should have noticed it, but was also told the bike was in perfect condition. I never said anywhere that I wanted to go down there and blame them for anything...in fact I said the opposite. I was just asking if I had any recourse or leverage whatsoever. As stated in my first post if you read it I said everyone there was very nice and accommodating. I honestly dont believe they had noticed the dent either. I think I will just ride down there sat and see what Kurt says.

But to my credit its a very odd dent and is VERY hard to notice when the sun is on it because the bike is white. But when its in flat light you can see the waves in the tank.

Whats also really confusing is the bike was sold as an 06 but it has a metal tank. I dont think Triumph went to a metal tank until 2007.

Mental - I bought a new jacket while I was there .

awesome jacket!
    GSXRScott made me follow him into that corner,...down that hill...there was the time up that washout...crankcase alley...man I gotta stop following him.
    Quote Originally Posted by PharmerKyle View Post
    ...I knew all too well what would happen if the old guy on the Beemer took the lead...

Yeah I bought it because it was so damned sexy then realized its probably not the most protection I could get haha. Its got ce shoulder and elbow protectors but no back protection (not that the foam pads do much). But gives me that hooligan look haha.

Triumph's been a bit crazy about the plastic --> metal --> plastic --> metal tank thing... Pisses me off because I'd rather have a metal tank so I can use a magnetic tank bag but oh well, what are you gonna do?! I have an 07 and it's got a plastic tank.

I have a friend who lives up near Greeley who does repair and paint work... if you want, I'll pm you his info. I need to call him anyways to get my seat cowl repainted.

I dig that jacket...
    Last edited by salsashark; Thu Jun 4th, 2009 at 09:15 AM. Reason: nevermind, I found it.

Quote Originally Posted by merlotSV View Post
    Ummm where did I ever say it was their fault??? I noted that I should have noticed it, but was also told the bike was in perfect condition. I never said anywhere that I wanted to go down there and blame them for anything...in fact I said the opposite. I was just asking if I had any recourse or leverage whatsoever. As stated in my first post if you read it I said everyone there was very nice and accommodating.
    You said it was "partially" your fault. If only part of it is your fault, where does the rest of the fault lie? If I misunderstood what you wrote, I apologize.

I didn't say you wanted to go down there and blame anyone, either. I was just saying I wouldn't recommend that approach.

Of course I read your first post. What I don't understand is why you think they owe you something, especially if it is not their fault and you don't blame them.

Why did you start this thread? You wanted to know if you had recourse? For what? What did they do to you?

These are all rhetorical questions.

Have a nice day.

Kurts a good dude... try Chad and maybe he can help you out???

signed - "anonymous" lol

p.s. where exactly are the dings
    -d

I thought all the S3's had plastic tanks, weird???

BTW, CONGRATS on the Speed Triple!!!!!! Ya lucky bastich! I mean that in the nicest way
    Eric
    CSBA#477
    00 Triumph Sprint RS
    www.cocsba.com