Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got my first speeding ticket...

Got my first speeding ticket...

12 years of clean driving and riding gone today... I was cruising behind this car on peak to peak and he decided he wanted to let me pass. well he pulls to the right where 2 tires dip into the dirt. Dirt started coming up so I gassed it around him, in 2nd gear, and pulled back in. well a cop gunned me while passing him. The kicker was I was riding slow all day and they were the 2nd car I passed the whole trip...about 140 miles worth. I passed and slowed down to about 50...well that was to late.

No criminal record, no tickets, no nothing...he asked me where I was off to in such a hurry and I told him I am going to check out and set up the place where I am going to propose to my gf...he smiled and said nice good luck and wrote me the ticket.

On the copy of the ticket he put how nice I was, how professional I was, and how I treated him with the up most respect. After was all said and done I shook his hand and told him thanks for his service to the community.

70 in a 45...

advice? I am going to plea bargain it and try and get it reduced. being my first ticket in 12 years what are my chances?

joe
    ps- paging barn.....

Re: Got my first speeding ticket...

Well they will drop it 2 points just cuz you showed up to court and thats about all there going to do. sorry man good record or not the courts look at all tickets the same
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - Hunter Thompson

Alcohol tobacco and firearms should be a convenience store not a federal agency.

i spoke with the cop for a bit after and he said the fine is $240 and 6 points...but given how nice I was to him and my record he said he would talk to the DA and get the points dropped.

I am thinking of getting an lawyer and seeing what he says. there is an identical ticket in this board on the same stretch of road. he got 2 ptns and school...or 3 points and no school.

i am cool with 2 points and a school.

joe

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Gilpin County I bet
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

lol...correct!

Advice.. stay off of P 2 P. The cops are everywhere up there. Good luck in court.

I would think you could fight that one- with the car wanting you to pass and all/
    Last edited by SamuraiX; Sat Jun 6th, 2009 at 08:29 AM.

-Dedicated to all of those with BIG egos.

the biggest thing in my eyes is not the passing....but the debris being kicked up. The pass was legal and with dotted yellow lines.

joe

The other car wanting you to pass him is of no concern. Even when you're passing, you cannot travel above the posted speed limit, so if he's got you at 25+ over the speed limit, it moves from a Class A Traffic Infraction to a Class 2 Traffic Misdemeanor, which should make it a summons and not a mail in.

Assuming everything you've said is true about your driving history, there are ways to prevent this from showing up on your driving record. If you were as nice/cooperative/whatever as you said, the officer may be more inclined to request a deferred sentence. You'll plead guilty to the charge, pay whatever fines and court costs they have, but it will never show up on your driving history as long as you follow the requirements of the agreement. Typically the deferrment is anywhere from 3 months to 2 years, meaning if you obey the requirements, which are typically things like not getting another ticket, for the allotted time frame (3 months, 6 months, one year, etc.), you will have completed your sentence and it's like the ticket never happened.

If they won't go for a deferrment, see about getting it plead out to a non-moving violation, or look for a zero-point charge. Defective Vehicle is a popular plea agreement since it's 2-points and like $60, plus court costs.

when I spoke to the cop i asked him what the fine was...he said $240...but with my driving record he said they will odds are drop it to 2 points and nothing more. he said between my driving record and what he wrote on the ticket he said i shouldnt be a big deal

thanks for the info...
    joe

any cops on the board or anyone know what a ticket deferment is? it seems like if you have a good record they will in essence put you on "probation" and if you get another ticket in 6 months or 12 months then the original ticket is back into affect....

anyone?

Scers sidekick... PuhRobin Yearly Supporter Foolds's Avatar

No a cop but had this experience once or twice. There are two types of deferment. First is Deferred prosecution meaning you keep your self clean from that county for X number of months they don't prosecute the ticket(this is a rare deal). If you get a ticket in X number of months in that county then you go back to court and get to fight or try and get a plea The second and more common is the deferred sentence, meaning you plead guilty to the ticket, but they don't put it on your record unless you get a ticket in that county in X months.

Clearly the first one is a better thing. You will still be forced to pay court fee's and fine but your insurance dosn't see it unless you violate your terms

Quote Originally Posted by Foolds View Post
    No a cop but had this experience once or twice. There are two types of deferment. First is Deferred prosecution meaning you keep your self clean from that county for X number of months they don't prosecute the ticket(this is a rare deal). If you get a ticket in X number of months in that county then you go back to court and get to fight or try and get a plea The second and more common is the deferred sentence, meaning you plead guilty to the ticket, but they don't put it on your record unless you get a ticket in that county in X months.

Clearly the first one is a better thing. You will still be forced to pay court fee's and fine but your insurance dosn't see it unless you violate your terms
    thanks...I am not concerned about the money honestly..I am cool with paying the fine. I am going to ask for that..

joe
    Last edited by Geology Rocks; Sat Jul 14th, 2012 at 01:53 AM.

Scers sidekick... PuhRobin Yearly Supporter Foolds's Avatar

Dress nice admit your mistakes and enplane your situation and be respectful and you will normally get one of the two. Start by asking for Deferred Prosecution.

Quote Originally Posted by CaneZach View Post
    The other car wanting you to pass him is of no concern. Even when you're passing, you cannot travel above the posted speed limit, so if he's got you at 25+ over the speed limit, it moves from a Class A Traffic Infraction to a Class 2 Traffic Misdemeanor, which should make it a summons and not a mail in.
    That's still bullshit. He's got a clean record for TWELVE years, that's a long time. The cop should have taken that into consideration when deciding what kind of ticket to write. The least he could have done was drop the speed on the ticket to something less serious.
    -Greg
    2013 BMW R1200GS

Quote Originally Posted by Think View Post
    That's still bullshit. He's got a clean record for TWELVE years, that's a long time. The cop should have taken that into consideration when deciding what kind of ticket to write. The least he could have done was drop the speed on the ticket to something less serious.
    Dropping the speed is actually a violation against many agencies policies. Most of the time, they're supposed to write them as they clocked them. FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by fullgrownbear View Post
    Dropping the speed is actually a violation against many agencies policies. Most of the time, they're supposed to write them as they clocked them. FYI.
    Ah, I wasn't aware of that. They regularly do that in the DC area.
    -Greg
    2013 BMW R1200GS

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Good luck brotha. Just tell them you know me. I'm sure everything will go smoothly, if you do that.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Good Luck as well. Maybe they will dismiss your ticket if you answer this question correctly...

Last edited by fullgrownbear; Sat Jun 6th, 2009 at 04:43 PM.

Barn: so I see you want me to go to Jail.....

the one in the back left? with the white stripe down its face?

joe

You're over-thinking this, and I wouldn't want a deferment hanging over my head for xx months. Show up at the court date, take what they offer, pay the fine, forget it.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Senior Member Yearly Supporter gtn's Avatar

Come on... I haven't had a ticket in 24 years and the only one that actually went on my record was 29 years ago (NO AGE JOKES!) and I'll bet I won't get a break when I eventually get pulled while on the bike.
    Gary
    08 CBR1000rr - Candy Dark Red/Metallic Silver

Sorry about the ticket...

Re-read the post by CaneZach.....and move on.

John

Last edited by modette99; Mon Nov 7th, 2011 at 04:36 PM.