Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Practices: Security

Best Practices: Security

This forum is about bikes/equipment getting stolen.

OK, how do you keep this from happening? Post your tips here.

Seeing as how apartment complexes seem to be a common factor in bike thefts, how do apartment vets lock up their rides? Share.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    08 KTM Super Duke Rtard

Right-Wing Nut-Job DavidofColorado's Avatar

Re: Best Practices: Security

I have heard from a reformed bike theif that they were never worried about someone waking up when they stole a bike because they would come in the middle of the night when you were sleeping. If you can hear the guy you would have a better chance of doing something to stop him. So if your in a complex get an alarm on it and sleep with one eye open.

Before I moved here, I kept mine under a carport, steering locked, disc lock, cover on it and a car pulled into spot so that its wedged in between wall and car. That and I usually checked on it every night or if I heard a weird noise.

I do a lot of what Will does as well. I have the disc brake lock on the front, steering locked, cover (when I remember to put it on after the bike cools..). I also have a shorter cable lock that I leave no slack in. I'll try to wind it through both wheels and the frame before I wrap it around the huge metal supports for the carport. If my car is there, I'll wedge the bike in as I can. My number one thing though is that my bedroom window looks directly out and over my carport spot, so I leave my window wide open and have the blinds angled so I can just open my eyes from bed and see the bike. I've gotten to the point that I wake up every time someone walks by the place, so I hope that if someone ever tried to take my bike that I'd wake up for it. My rent may be higher than in other places, but I also live in a pretty darn safe place where I actually CAN go to sleep w/out totally freaking out about the bike out there. (I do plan on getting an alarmed lock here soon though.)

My neighbors are awesome too and definitely help me keep an eye out on things. They know that NOBODY even touches my bike w/out me being right there. I got a call once when some brats were oogling it and I was able to run downstairs and snarl at them. lol

If someone is going to steal your bike, nothing is going to stop them. The best you can hope to do is to make it take them as absolutely long as possible in the hopes that they'll either give up or be seen. Oh and if you have any biker neighbors, it helps if you can start cable locking all of the bikes together. Damn hard to pick up and run away with multiple bikes in complete silence.
    ~Jess~
    2010 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
    2008 Kawi GREEN Ninja 650R

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    Sometimes things happen beyond our power and we can't make it. Like...your brake lines "accidentally" get cut, or a nice man comes through your window in the middle of the night and politely suggests you withdraw from the activity...who knows?

Buy a bike that no one wants to steal

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    Buy a bike that no one wants to steal
    I had an 83 VF700 f interceptor and I had someone try and steal it when I went to a movie at the belmar theaters (Alameda and Wads) I think that I came out and scared them away. But they started tearing up the ignition and I didn't even notice until later when there was light and I was having trouble sticking the key in. They will steal anything if they get the opportunity IMO. Just make it harder to steal and you should dissuade most thieves.
    Last edited by DavidofColorado; Sun Jun 7th, 2009 at 04:57 PM.

I use the "New York Noose" chain and large lock. I also have a Zena alarmed disc lock that goes off if a nat sits on the bike. At home it is always garaged. I have had two bikes stolen in 20 years.

Have a bike like mine that is 16 years old, and weighs close to 600lbs wet.... But yeah, steering lock, parked up against side of house with car next to it so it can't be rotated in steering lock or flipped on to a mattress and lifted by 4 dudes
    It's a celebration bitches!!! - RIP 502

Motos:
    2003 SV1000N - Dual Yosh RS3 CF Exhaust ••••• 09' Aprilia SR50 (Wife's) ••••• 93' ZX-11 - Sold after 43k Miles
    Cars:
    08' Audi S5 6MT •••• 10' VW TDI Cup Edition 6MT •••• 02' VW TDI Beetle 5MT •••• 07' Ford Explorer

I pay a little extra for a garage...

Quote Originally Posted by CaptGoodvibes View Post
    Winner winner, chicken dinner!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptGoodvibes View Post

disc lock on the front is pointless if a thief really wants your bike. It's more of a deterent. It's basically as useful as having your steering locked.

Most thieves work in two or three. One or two to lift the front of the bike up and one inside the truck or van to help pull it in.

Using some sort of big asss chain locked to something fixed to the ground is your best bet.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

I used to park my bike in a parking garage. Use the parking garage to your advantage Find a 90 degree corner made of concrete. Park your bike in the corner and then park your car on a 45 degree angle blocking it in. It should be nearly impossible to get out unless they move your car....

The picture is how I used to park my bike. Had a concrete pillar and two cars blocking it in....And a 17 year old kid pulled my bike over the hood of the honda there and stole it. It was parked in front of the honda, you can see where he screwed up the front of the car and the dent in the hood.

Now its garaged, barred and lojacked. If they want it, they'll get it...

INSURE THE SHIT OUT OF IT!!!

^^^ damn what a punk

Quote Originally Posted by DavidofColorado View Post
    I have heard from a reformed bike theif
    What is the statute of limitations on "reformed"? Once a theif always.... I can't stop thinking about the movie Misery. Hobble that Motha F*er, then I will buy the reformed statement. If you can't tell I hate theifs.

I took a carmel one time when I was a child. My mom cured that with some old school!

Rant - Sorry. I would have tire marks going into my appartment.
    Last edited by noskills; Thu Jun 11th, 2009 at 07:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by noskills View Post
    What is the statute of limitations on "reformed"? Once a theif always.... I can't stop thinking about the movie Misery. Hobble that Motha F*er, then I will buy the reformed statement. If you can't tell I hate theifs.

I took a carmel one time when I was a child. My mom cured that with some old school!

Rant - Sorry. I would have tire marks going into my appartment.
    Its not a statement I make lightly. But they went to jail and paid their debt to society and are making a good effort to put their scumbag past behind them. And they are doing it without outside forces so I am giving them the benfit of the doubt. But I still remember their past and watch him.

I don't like thieves either. But if they are trying to change why not give them 1x second chance.

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

There are a lot of things out there and being a rental business obviously keeping track of bikes is a pretty high priority.

Personally I keep my bike in a garage and it has lojack installed.

However the rental bikes aren't the same, people take them and most stay outside when rented for multiple days. What I've found that works the best is a system called ZOOMBACK. Other GPS/Cell Phone tracking devices are hard wired in with a 24 hour battery life. Not hard for thieves to find as all you have to do is follow the batttery leads. The Zoomback is cheap, is a small unit a little larger than a cigarette lighter, doesn't need to be plugged in, and can hold a charge for 7 days. You can hide it anywhere on the bike making it harder for potential thieves to find it.
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

If I ever caught someone stealing my bike, I'll be going to jail for attempted murder. I'll go ape shit on their ass.
    MRA #595
    01' YZF R6 RACE (Kinky Kylie)
    Facebook - Shawn Parrish

AKA "Devaclis"

My bike is a piece of property. I will try to prevent the theft of it. I will not put myself in physical harm to defend it. I have great insurance. It would get replaced.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

But I would still be angry and would likely cuss a lot.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Unique RR View Post
    If I ever caught someone stealing my bike, I'll be going to jail for attempted murder. I'll go ape shit on their ass.
    I am with stupid on this too, in that its just a piece of property and not worth putting my life in danger. And only because when the cops showed up I don't want to blamed for the criminals fall to the ground and subsequent falling on my fist and foot and rifle butt. I just want the police to know that he was accident prone and I found him that way.
    Cops have told people that you take a chance with your life trying to steal something in my neighborhood. But, apparently graffiti is tolerated.
    Last edited by DavidofColorado; Mon Jun 15th, 2009 at 12:44 PM.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

At home, I garage it and leave it at that. I figure if the thieves are going to take the trouble to break into my house/garage to get my bike any locking system isn't going to do shit and it's insured so I'll get a new one. However, if I hear someone in my garage I will fully enforce the make my day law...

When I'm out and about I don't do anything with it as I rarely take it somewhere where I leave it alone for hours on end. I do have a disk lock and will use that on occasion, but I generally don't worry about it.

If I lived in an apartment, I would probably have a different outlook on security as it seems like a hot-bed for thieves.
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

Garage it, insure it, and, if you've gotta, replace it.

If you don't wanna die on the bike, why would you wanna die for the bike?
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    If you don't wanna die on the bike, why would you wanna die for the bike?
    I agree with you but part of this sentiment probably arises from the fact that little seems to be done about thefts. Just file the insurance claim and get a replacement. Let everyone pay for it with higher premiums. Something really bothers me when I see city police sitting on I-25 tagging people for going 6 over but they "don't have enough resources" to deal with bike theft, unlicensed drivers, etc.

As I have said before, I don't blame the cops for this. They are enforcing the law as directed by their superiors (ultimately politicians) and apparently people going a few miles an hour over the (artificially low) speed limit on a limited access highway are a bigger threat to public safety than thieves and unlicensed drivers. It doesn't surprise me that people want to protect the things they have worked hard to buy rather than letting scumbags walk away with them while the police are busy manning speedtraps.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Wouldn't your own premiums go way up if you filed a claim? They might even drop your insurance and share the fact that you had a claim with other insurance companies so they will know to charge accordingly. It might be worth it to try your best to prevent the theft in the first place. IMHO.
    Last edited by DavidofColorado; Mon Jun 15th, 2009 at 12:44 PM.