Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Practices: Security

Re: Best Practices: Security

Definatley fair points, but what's the solution? Raise the speed limits to reasonable numbers and then grossly inflate the fines for breaking them to account for the revenue drop?

I can't say that I wouldn't be interested in stopping someone from stealing my bike, but if I can get it through my head early enough that I should only push so far, then I'm more prone to back off at the right time & not equate my life to the market value of a two year old bike.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

AKA "Devaclis"

Talk shit to my wife - I will kill you

Talk shit to my friends - I will kick your ass

Steal my property - I will get it replaced.

Now, I am all for preventing ANY of the above situations from happening. There are varying degrees to the last 2 points. The first is an absolute. I have priorities other than becoming a temporary police officer, negotiator, or crime scene investigator.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    Definatley fair points, but what's the solution? Raise the speed limits to reasonable numbers and then grossly inflate the fines for breaking them to account for the revenue drop?
    Why should traffic enforcement have anything to do with government revenue? If it's really about public safety, eliminate the fines and go points only with definite (and non-negotiable) point fines for speeding. When you have no more points left, you don't drive. If you do, go to jail. That would solve this horrific "public safety" problem and not allow it to be abused as a revenue generator. There are studies on how to best set the speed limit (read: safest speed limit) of a road and that is clearly not what is done. I have pointed out before that the speed limit in front of the Wal Mart on 287 in Lafayette is 55-60 (depending on which way you're going) and yet the speed limit on the south end of 36 is also 55 (and it's also crawling with cops). That's just stupid and has nothing to do with public safety.

I'll bet if you asked most cops whether they'd rather be catching thieves or catching speeders, they'd opt for the former.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

So now that you all have made me PARANOID about the safety of my bike... I guess I will just LoJack the damn thing and maybe get it and a couple of others peoples bikes back when they find it!!
    Every hunter is someones prey!

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    I agree with you but part of this sentiment probably arises from the fact that little seems to be done about thefts. Just file the insurance claim and get a replacement. Let everyone pay for it with higher premiums. Something really bothers me when I see city police sitting on I-25 tagging people for going 6 over but they "don't have enough resources" to deal with bike theft, unlicensed drivers, etc.

As I have said before, I don't blame the cops for this. They are enforcing the law as directed by their superiors (ultimately politicians) and apparently people going a few miles an hour over the (artificially low) speed limit on a limited access highway are a bigger threat to public safety than thieves and unlicensed drivers. It doesn't surprise me that people want to protect the things they have worked hard to buy rather than letting scumbags walk away with them while the police are busy manning speedtraps.

Dirk
    I agree, they are focused on the wrong things. In fact, wouldn't it be great if they made public announcements of stolen property or things that might be prevented with more attention paid by ourselves and our neighbors. We make our best efforts here using forums and public access avenues like craigslist but what do the police do? File it.

By the way, what safety concerns does unlicensed drivers pose? I see more dangerous driving from licensed drivers then not. I would know. I drove very safe for over a year

This kind of topic bothers me.
    Last edited by LiQuIdAiR=OTB=; Tue Jun 23rd, 2009 at 06:45 PM.
    01000011 00111101 00101000 01010000 00100000 01111000 00100000 01101011 00110001 00100000 00100000 00100000 01101011 00110010 00101001 01101101 01101111 01100100 00100000 00110010 00110110 00001101 00001010 01010000 00111101 00101000 00101000 01000011 00100000 00101101 00100000 01101011 00110010 00101001 00100000 01111000 00100000 00101101 01101011 00110001 00101001 01101101 01101111 01100100 00110010 00110110

I agree, speeding should not be a revenue generator but unfortunately it is. What is worse, IMO, is that it's not a fair one. There is a huge difference between a millionaire getting a $250 fine and a single mom, struggiling to get by, getting a $250 fine. The kids are going to feel that in the grocery budget. Someone, think about the children!

On another note... hidden kill switches! This is yet another tool one could add to their arsenal of anti-theft weapons. I'm going to try to put one hidden in the trunk. I mean, it wont help in preventing someone from walking away with it. But, they with be a little confused when their wiring tricks do nothing...muwahaha.
    Hold on to your butts.

07 GSXR-600

2 way pager alarm
    lojack
    zoombak or similar device

IMO, buy a bike that someone WANTS to steal. Put lojack on it, leave the key in it, and help the world get rid of criminals. Also, get a 2way pager alarm system with a silent local alarm so that when it does move, the remote gets a message.

With a zoombak device, you can set up zones that alert you when you leave or enter a certain zone. With that, you could seriously catch some thieves.
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LiQuIdAiR=OTB= View Post
    By the way, what safety concerns does unlicensed drivers pose?
    People who haven't demonstrated at least the very minimum required knowledge/skills shouldn't be on the road. That, coupled with the very high likelihood that unlicensed drivers are also uninsured makes them a big risk to others.

Quote Originally Posted by LiQuIdAiR=OTB= View Post
    I see more dangerous driving from licensed drivers then not.
    How do you know they are licensed?

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

People who haven't demonstrated at least the very minimum required knowledge/skills shouldn't be on the road. That, coupled with the very high likelihood that unlicensed drivers are also uninsured makes them a big risk to others.

How do you know they are licensed?

Dirk
    True that. I wish there was a better way to teach people how to drive. Then maybe we could raise speed limits and accidents would decline.

About me knowning about good or bad license..Of course I cannot know for sure without qualifying. But I would guess, if someone doesn't have a license and they still drove, for example a friend of mine, lost his license but had a family to feed and a job to get to, would he not drive more careful? Or would he speed and jump in and out of traffic? Most would say he wouldn't, others might.

True about the insurance part. Unfortunately, true. This kind thing is a moot point. We will of course comply and submit to law since they are in control and supposely appointed by our peers. I don't like to automatically quantify a persons situation based on what it says on paper.
    01000011 00111101 00101000 01010000 00100000 01111000 00100000 01101011 00110001 00100000 00100000 00100000 01101011 00110010 00101001 01101101 01101111 01100100 00100000 00110010 00110110 00001101 00001010 01010000 00111101 00101000 00101000 01000011 00100000 00101101 00100000 01101011 00110010 00101001 00100000 01111000 00100000 00101101 01101011 00110001 00101001 01101101 01101111 01100100 00110010 00110110

There's a reason Finland has produced more driving world champions per capita than any country on earth: First license after 30 hrs of instruction and 20 theory lessons, then during the 2 years that one is valid you take more classes, with slippery and night training.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    08 KTM Super Duke Rtard

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    Garage it, insure it, and, if you've gotta, replace it.

If you don't wanna die on the bike, why would you wanna die for the bike?
    Agreed. I have some other security features at home as well, but bottom line I've taken reasonable steps to secure my property, and pay that money each month to cover me in case someone gets greedy. Beyond that, I am not going to get killed for a motorcycle, no matter how much I like it. The neat part about bikes is I can generally get another one.

Yes if they're in my garage I may consider enforcing the MMD law, but there again ... bike, death, bike, death ... not a hard tradeoff. If they come into my house itself I consider that sacred ground and will unload however.

I agree with you but part of this sentiment probably arises from the fact that little seems to be done about thefts. Just file the insurance claim and get a replacement. Let everyone pay for it with higher premiums. Something really bothers me when I see city police sitting on I-25 tagging people for going 6 over but they "don't have enough resources" to deal with bike theft, unlicensed drivers, etc.
    I don't disagree with you on that, catching thieves doesn't make them any money.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidofColorado View Post
    Wouldn't your own premiums go way up if you filed a claim? They might even drop your insurance and share the fact that you had a claim with other insurance companies so they will know to charge accordingly. It might be worth it to try your best to prevent the theft in the first place. IMHO.
    Prevent it, just like you prevent an accident. Things do happen though. Your premiums may go up, they might not, just depends on where you do business. I totaled my first bike, got it covered, and they didn't raise my rates. If you file a claim, it will go in CLUE and other companies will see it as well, but I am not sure a theft claim really affects you as much as covering damage beyond repair. I doubt they will drop you over this one thing unless you have a history of costing them money.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Gold Member

apartments are big targets cuz people get cheap and dont get the garages and leave their bikes out.. to be real with all of you if a person wants your bike they are going to take it.. most bikes that get stolen are stolen by other riders for parts..

truth is nothing but keeping your bike locked up in side is the only sure way of keeping your bike safe.. those locks for rotors are easy to cut off.. getting to the battery on any bike is easy and thats all you have to do to disable most alarms.. stearing locks can be broken by a larg yank on the bars.. even if a person doesnt feel like going into all that in your lot it only takes five guys and your bike is gone in seconeds.. odds are before you can even get your shoes on as you hear the alarm chearping.. 4 for the bike and one to hijack you if you come out..

so realy if you live in a complex then get the garage if no garages then bring it into your apartment.. cant do that then hide it, and no in front of your car doesnt mean much.. i have repoed many bikes that were stuffed in the space in front of the persons car.. chain it wheel lock it put as much crap on that bike as possible .. if it doesnt look like an easy catch then odds are in your favor that the people will move on..

Just jumped on the bandwagon. This comment doesn't mean crap to you, but the most sure fire way... GARAGE! Thanks for reading a redundant statement. No safer place for it. Theives are shit and will do anything to get what they want.
    - Fug-it.. Know your worth.
    - "SUV's get Groceries, Jeeps get Dirty"
    - '08 GSXR 600 Blue/White

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    apartments are big targets cuz people get cheap and dont get the garages and leave their bikes out..

Yeah, because it's a requirement to have money to own a motorcycle... I'm not sure I like how you phrased that and I'm sure you didn't mean it that way but damn, some people just can't afford a garage... sometimes things like paying off student loans, or food is more important that paying a complex 50-100/month for a garage.
    It's a celebration bitches!!! - RIP 502

Motos:
    2003 SV1000N - Dual Yosh RS3 CF Exhaust ••••• 09' Aprilia SR50 (Wife's) ••••• 93' ZX-11 - Sold after 43k Miles
    Cars:
    08' Audi S5 6MT •••• 10' VW TDI Cup Edition 6MT •••• 02' VW TDI Beetle 5MT •••• 07' Ford Explorer

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Little View Post
    Yeah, because it's a requirement to have money to own a motorcycle... I'm not sure I like how you phrased that and I'm sure you didn't mean it that way but damn, some people just can't afford a garage... sometimes things like paying off student loans, or food is more important that paying a complex 50-100/month for a garage.
    hey take it how you want.. i live in a complex.. im not loaded with cash.. we have had some hard times this last few months but i still have a garage to keep my bike in.. a few years ago we lived in a complex that didnt even have garages so i kept the bike in the tiny ass living room. i had to ride the bike up over a curb and then up a rock incline then had to turn the bike on the kick stand then another 4 inch step to the slab in front of the slider.. try that shit when theres snow on the ground.. it was by no means to disrepect to any one.. its just most people feel why pay for a garage when the only thing they will keep in it is a bike..

look i know what i do cuz i steal cars and bikes for a living.. i have seen people go to some lenghs to keep their shit frfom getting repod.. if i can get my hands on it i can figure out how to steal it.. alarms no alarms.. locked stearing colums or the key left in it.. i even figured out how to load a rocket with a locked stearing colum into the back of my f350 by myself..

look truth is it takes no more then 30 seconed for you bike to be gone.. you can have your two way pager and all that but its not going to go off till the guys have grabbed it.. you will get to see them load it and be gone before your shoes are on.. the only real way to save that bike is to keep it locked up inside..

Right-Wing Nut-Job DavidofColorado's Avatar

A great way to steal your bike is to get it away from where it belongs and start it later. If you have to pick it up and put it in a truck and start it later. Or simple push it down the street and then hot wire it. If you can stop them from moving it you will have a better chance of catching them in the act.

A garage is a deterrent and will force most thieves to go down the street to an easier target. But if your away on vacation or something they might have the time to steal it. (So don't post on twitter or facebook that your going on vacation!)

I am such a light sleeper that one of the times that I am awoke in the middle of the night I wish it was someone I could shoot.

If you can afford a nice bike step ur game up a little to a house rental with a garage

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Why should traffic enforcement have anything to do with government revenue? If it's really about public safety, eliminate the fines and go points only with definite (and non-negotiable) point fines for speeding. When you have no more points left, you don't drive. If you do, go to jail. That would solve this horrific "public safety" problem and not allow it to be abused as a revenue generator. There are studies on how to best set the speed limit (read: safest speed limit) of a road and that is clearly not what is done. I have pointed out before that the speed limit in front of the Wal Mart on 287 in Lafayette is 55-60 (depending on which way you're going) and yet the speed limit on the south end of 36 is also 55 (and it's also crawling with cops). That's just stupid and has nothing to do with public safety.

I'll bet if you asked most cops whether they'd rather be catching thieves or catching speeders, they'd opt for the former.

Dirk
    Dr. Dirk for president!
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)