Thread: Project bike. Whatcha think?

Project bike. Whatcha think?

My CFO gave me a green light on starting a project bike. I'm looking for something to restore to original shape. My first want was something late 80's early 90's in the 400cc range with a CBR or FZR in the title. Some asking around pointed me towards a turn key CB750K3 with low miles, that has been in a friends family since ‘78. Not my first choice but I have always been fascinated with the CB lineage. What do you guys/gals think, is this a good or a bad choice for a restore? What problems do you foresee if I go with the CB.

What would your first choice if doing a project or restore bike? Post ‘em up if you have finished a project/restore that makes you proud.

This is a new exploration for me so any input is appreciated.

Re: Project bike. Whatcha think?

A 70's era CB750 is a great choice for a restoration project.

That model has practically a cult following, so you should be able to loads of advice and parts on-line.

The biggest issue I've found on bikes that age with low miles is deteriorated electrical and rubber components. Also the carbs most likely will need cleaned or rebuilt.
    2005 Yamaha YZF-R6 (SOLD)
    2013 Yamaha FZ6R
    Stupidity should be painful.

Hey No Skills, I second a CB750. The other bike I have been dreaming about a project restore is a XS650 into a street tracker. Either way, I can't do it until we finish projects on the house.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

The CB750K3 would be a good choice for a restoration project. As Jim had mentioned, there is a cult following and that will help with parts and restoration advice. There are a lot of stock and aftermarket parts still available for these bikes. They should also hold their value pretty well.

They also make great cafe bikes. Check out www.cb750cafe.com.

I've restored some bikes to stock and for me, it was fun. I restored this '79 Honda CBX from a junk yard quality bike. It needed taken down to the bare frame and redone from the ground up..............

All,
    thanks for the input. The available support and parts for the CB definitely helps my decision. If all goes well I will probably go with the CB and if it is as described the bike has been kept in a running condition for the past 30 years. Maybe I will get to ride it a bit before tear down.

ChrisCBX,
    good job on the cbx. I love the look of that fat ass motor hanging out the sides. Did you restore, replace or were a lot of the chrome parts in that condition? Do you have any before pics?
    Toby

Quote Originally Posted by noskills View Post
    ChrisCBX,
    good job on the cbx. I love the look of that fat ass motor hanging out the sides. Did you restore, replace or were a lot of the chrome parts in that condition? Do you have any before pics?
    Toby
    Toby,

Thanks!

I basically bought the bike for the exhaust. Its very rare to find a CBX with a stock exhaust in perfect condition. (the original owner lucked out and found this exhaust a few years ago).

Honda had very good quality chrome back in those days and a lot of parts could be polished and reused. Other parts such as the seat rail needed to be rechromed. Almost every part on the bike needed something such as polishing or refinishing. Even the seat trim had to be repaired and re-anodized. The engine needed a top end rebuild (stock bore and valves) and the barrels and head needed glass bead blasted to bring back their original appearance. Even the wiring harness had to be completely redone with many wire connectors being replaced. All this bike needs now is it's original silver bodywork put back on and its done.

Good luck on your project (whatever bike you end up doing). Its cool whenever an old bike is kept running and on the road.

Chris
    Last edited by ChrisCBX; Wed Jun 10th, 2009 at 11:29 PM.

Toby,
    Good luck with the project. Call Ric-to share in the project's progression, as he really enjoys turning the screws on the Hondas.
    MSF-RiderCoach,TOTAL CONTROL Advanced Riding Clinic-Level 1/Level 2 Instructor

Ricky Orlando Motorcycle School,
    Rider Workshop-USA

Suspension Academy Graduate 1 + 1 = 3
    Writer, 2008 MRA Season Program-Feature Article, "The Colorado Sportbike Club"
    *Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Member: AMA
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

I bitched out and went with this. I decided that riding will be more fun at this point then wrenching. The project bike will come but just not just yet!

YAY

Board Newbie

Thats a nice bike, a guy I'm working with down in Texas this summer just bought one. They are hard to come by. You need to get a smaller exhaust though, I cant stand that huge exhaust that makes no sound and covers up the one sided swing arm
    2005 Raw Titanium Z1000
    PCIII, BMC Air Filter & Airbox Mod
    520 -1/+2 Conversion
    636 Forks and Calipers, Tach LED swap
    LeoVince GP Exhaust, Pazzo Levers
    Frame & Swingarm Sliders, Fender Eliminator

Quote Originally Posted by atschach View Post
    Thats a nice bike, a guy I'm working with down in Texas this summer just bought one. They are hard to come by. You need to get a smaller exhaust though, I cant stand that huge exhaust that makes no sound and covers up the one sided swing arm
    Thanks. I like it although I can't get my wife off the back. Just put 700 more miles on it and only 30 of the 700 were solo.

Yes covering the single sided swing arm is a total shame. Not sure I will ever loose the can though. Yes its big but it's also quiet and doesn't smell of unburned gas. Also I'm afraid that if I change the can I will loose the cat. Loose the cat and I think I will loose low end torque. Then I would need a PC3, so the 400 dollar can would end up being over 700 dollar mod. Been there done that. Now if this was a race bike the story would be totally different.

I think better bang would be:
    1. Better suspension (springs plus Racetech emulators up front and for the rear...?)
    2. A better saddle.
    3. HID lights for night driving.