Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: whats the best track for someone who has never gone before

Re: whats the best track for someone who has never gone before

Well if you go through Chicane it's like $60 for a FULL day at Pueblo for the 16th of August. Just find someone to go with and split the cost of gas, which is another $60ish depending on what they are hauling (toy hauler or simple 2/3 rail trailer), and attempt to borrow as much equipment as you can find. Either save up the money and get a CL/Ebay suit or find someone's to borrow. Also other things like some spare gas, munchies, water, etc.

I have personally found that the track community in Colorado is full of the most kind hearted and well meaning people around, making it pretty easy to find people with spare gear.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Quote Originally Posted by Zach929rr View Post
    I have personally found that the track community in Colorado is full of the most kind hearted and well meaning people around, making it pretty easy to find people with spare gear.
    You're so full of sh*t and I hate you...... BTW, can I have a hug?

how tall are you? and weigh. if u dont mind lookin like a green a power ranger u can rent out my suit. Send me a pm

Last edited by Hi11Zone; Mon Jun 15th, 2009 at 07:05 PM.

Represent The Green Monster In You!

^^ SEE JAY!!!!!! Blow me. TOLD YOU SO.

KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Besides your gear, bring lots and lots of water and some food... All they have there is chips and it sucks when you are really hungry from riding all day.

Hehe, you could always order pizza from some bar in firestone. They deliver to the track, bobby inside the office knows of the place. Great pizza too!!!

Assuming IMI, they do have snacks and drinks. Of course it's cheaper if you bring your own stuff

Carl

Long Distance Gear Checklist 2002 Hayabusa - Now with 100,000+ miles!

My first on track experience was 8 years ago at PPIR. I took a school setup by Team InfoTech. The format was a Saturday school, followed by a Sunday track day. I believe it was $250.

Obviously there are a lot of people here with different first experiences. And they all have good points. For me, I took a track school because I wanted to ride fast, get my knee down, all that...and I felt that was the safest/best option. I had already purchased full gear in anticipation of riding at the track after the school, and of course, full gear was a requirement. Borrowing gear is a great option and there are many very generous forum members that would let you borrow gear. There are some very affordable suit options out there though, and I’ve never heard anyone get off the track and say they don’t like it. J Personally, I wanted instruction. I wanted to get to that next level, and I felt (and still feel) that some form of instruction is the best way to do that. You'll create good habits that will last your riding lifetime, instead of forming ones that can be hard to break. Learning with people of similar abilities will foster a learning environment that is much easier to develop skills in than worrying about racers or go carts approaching you with a huge discrepancy in speed.

While I've never ridden at IMI before, and understand that many people find it extremely cost effective, it's just not an appealing track to me. I would much rather prefer riding/learning at a larger track like Pueblo, HPR, or even Hastings or PPIR. I think a larger track provides a safer environment due to run off, corner workers, and dedicated sessions. IMI may be a slow track, and it may be hard to get out of second gear, but let's be honest, we all know the dynamics of motorcycle crashes are not linear and crashing at 100mph does not mean more damage than crashing at 30mph. We've all seen extreme damage from slow speed get offs just the same as high speed. I’m all for minimal investment in order to find out if something is for you however, recommending that you jump in to the deep end and go purchase $1500 worth of gear isn’t what I would do either. There’s a happy medium in the middle that’s hard for us to find without knowing what you’re willing to/can afford to spend. And that’s for you to decide not us.

No particular track will be easier for you as a beginner. My opinion is that has more to do with the environment you’re learning in rather than the track itself. All tracks offer a different set of challenges. Also, the vast majority of track days for motorcycles fall on weekdays. For most people, that means taking time off work. If I’m taking hard to come by vacation days…I’ll be at HPR, not IMI. We’ve got a multimillion dollar, brand new race track within an hour and a half of virtually all of the Denver-Metro area…there’s no way I’m telling anyone to go to a go kart track.

Easily distracted by shiny objects and bouncy things jplracing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    Do any of you guys remember 502?

Do everything you can to keep bad history from repeating itself.

Track supervision and organization is worth every penny each one of us pays for it. We should all be shouting the benefits of gear and track supervision.

Gramps...couldn't have said it better myself

I would highly recommend doing the Chicane Never Ever program or simply sign up for the school. What you will learn will pay off 10 fold

www.rebellionmotorsports.com

Grant_me_revs personal snake catcher!!

Quote Originally Posted by michaelawsome View Post
    i would really like to go to a track some time but i dont no like which one is better.. is hpr good. thats the closest i think. and how much would i end up spending? can you rent the full suit and boots?
    Check out Jason Pridmore's Star School as another option to what's been suggested so far. I posted some info about it here:

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...ad.php?t=32361

They're coming to HPR in July - great for beginners - and they do rent leathers.
    ###############

Geoff Snyder
    MRA #76 (formerly #828 )
    Bike: '07 GSX-R1000

I definitely would not have spent $300+ on my first trackday, but looks like a very good option.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Just a side note, in case some people don't know. A new rider can sign up for the track day and take the class, if the "Never Ever" is full. The only difference is that you pay the same fee that everyone else does.

I guess it depends on what you're trying to learn. I do a lot of riding and enjoy playing in the canyons from time to time. I read the books and pay attention on sites like this. So I've learned how to street ride better and with more confidence.

I originally went to IMI because it's close and there wasn't anything else in the area. I found I liked the slower, tighter and more technical track. It's also not a track where I have to take the day off of work to go play. I can go after work or on the weekend.

When I had a hard time getting the 'busa leaned over, I decided I wanted to try harder so I bought the SV650S in my sig from an MRA racer. Since I wasn't planning on getting that deep into tracks, I converted it back to a street bike but generally just ride it to IMI or trailer it down to Pueblo. I signed up for a track day in Pueblo and bought some used leathers and boots and got gloves thrown in for free so I was prepared.

The first time I took the SV to IMI, I started the day getting my knee down (again, see sig). Right then I learned that I was doing everything right, just that I had the wrong equipment

I got a ride with others going to Pueblo and we went down. I went to take the track day class and found out I'm just not that good.

I'm already planning on going to a more advanced street riding class and maybe, someday, go to one of the track schools and really learn how to race.

I figure I'm just too inexperienced to keep going to the tracks and don't want to be remembered as someone who killed a good rider (502).

So I'll stick to the slower track. I'm putting the SV up for sale again before this weekend since I did want I wanted to do. I'll keep the track gear since I do plan on improving and eventually going back to the track to learn more. But I'm not going to be racing. That hobby is just a bit expensive for me

I'll see you at IMI and one of these days at High Plains if they'll have me.

Ride safe.

Carl

Long Distance Gear Checklist 2002 Hayabusa - Now with 100,000+ miles!

I understand and appreciate everyone's opinion, but I have only good things to say about IMI. While I agree that coaching is a powerful tool, I also believe that a quiet track (during the week) can offer you a safe place to practice a variety of skills. While I had many people tell me how to ride, it wasn't until I was by myself at IMI going at a slow pace that I learned to put my knee down and find the best line on the track. While I do not consider myself a great rider, IMI has helped me to step my riding abilities up to another level with a sense of safety at an affordable price.

On another note, you will have to deal with the "Mom and Pop" sort of environment at this track. This is when you have to use your own common sense. You need to come to the track as prepared as possible, whether that means full gear, food, drinks, and so on.

I would be more than happy to ride with you during the week and you show you what I think is the line around the track. Otherwise, go out there, slow way down and choose a few things to work on whether it is body positioning, finding the line, or just understanding your own bike.

I do understand why IMI gets the rep that it does, but we are extremely lucky to have an option like this that is close to town and affordable.

Just to add to my previous post...

STAR is typically made up of 70-80% street riders whenever I've gone - the slow group is almost exclusively street riders. I've seen cruisers out learning skills in the slow group. There are rules against inside passes and restricting how close you can pass. It's definately focused on learning and a very safe 1st outing. My first track outing was with Jason's father's (Reg) CLASS school @ SCR years ago.

Yes it's more expensive than some of the other options mentioned, but they've been doing it for a looong time and are very professional/safe.

The fast group typically has the same restrictions as the slow group - to limit group/"racer" mentality and make folks focus on the drills. It's sometimes lifted @ the end of day 2 if everyone's playing nice.

They do a real good job of making it a school/skills learning day and not a track day / "lap timer" session.
    ###############

Geoff Snyder
    MRA #76 (formerly #828 )
    Bike: '07 GSX-R1000

IMI is great for body positioning and getting your knee down for the first time. not to mention the $35 for the full day. But other than that IMI will never teach you what you Really need to know. Going around a track at 40 mph wont teach you how far to look ahead in the corner when your going 110mph at pueblo or HPR.

Pueblo is a great humbling track for beginners as well. The bikes actually get out of second gear.

HPR is a friggin awesome track. Has a great variety of turns to make you pucker like never before.

as far as classes go, the Never ever class if probly the best bet. You will be trained by expert racers with the MRA.

VANMAR!!!!
    Bridgestone Tires
    www.fastermotorsports.net
    www.youngbloodracing.com
    www.chicanetrackdays.com

Erik Cromer |MRA #611

Get your leathers first. Leathers aren't just for the track so they are money well spent.

Learn to walk before you can run. IMI has its place in the learning scheme. IMI is dangerous but not half as dangerous as the canyons.

When you want to step up to a big track and have the money, Chicane at HPR would be the way to go. It’s a beautiful track with great elevation changes. Now if I could get my wife out of school and back to work I would go back!

sweet. thanks for all the input. im deff going to save up for the class and be prepared as possible.

Good call Mike.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Yeah, I would definately advocate full leathers at any track no matter how slow it is. Your injury during an "off" will largely depend on the luck of the tumble.

Case in point: I highsided going into turn 3 at Willow Springs going no more than 40mph and broke my pelvis and both hands. On the same track day, my friend lowsided in turn 9 doing 120+, slid on the track for a good 60 yards followed by a few cartwheels in the air and broke nothing.. just ground his right thumb to the bone during the slide.

The moral of the story is you never know how you're going to land once your butt leaves the saddle and its best to be prepared for the worst. The most expensive suit in the world is still cheaper than a typical broken bone..
    "why count the lives' complexity,
    when the leather runs smooth on the passenger seat.."