Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CO Powersports Denver (Updated)

I have similarily bad experiences at the co powersports service dept at the 104th. I found out from a recent oil change that they recommended a regular yamalube for my R1 instead of the semi-synthetic blend that yamaha recommends

Also I once called in to make an appointment and I SPECIFICALLY asked if they can do a fork alignment while I wait. They said sure and I made the appointment and rode down there. And of course when I dropped off my bike they told me yeah it will be ready some time next week! I am like WTF

......2 1/2 hours later the bike is done. Steering seems as loose as ever to me. I ask the service tech about it. He says it's fine and quotes an 18 in/lbs torque setting for the lower nut.......
    this coming from a service rep is just SCARY!!! 18in/lbs? that's applying 1 lb of force from an 18inch lever arm, that's less than finger tight! using your pinkys!!!
    member of rat's nest off-roading club.

My experiences with CO Powersports

Following is a letter I just sent to CPS yesterday. Sorry, it's long, and I even left out a few other details that illustrate their overall competence (or lack thereof). Usually if I complain I ask for something specific to redress the situation, but in this case I really don't even want to deal with them again. I'll update this thread with their response, if any.

[text of letter sent 7/22/03 follows:]
    Dear Colorado Powersports,

I am writing to inform you that I will not be bringing my motorcycle to any of your service locations in the future, and why I have arrived at that conclusion. In May of 2003, I purchased a new 2001 SV650S from Co. Powersports in Castle Rock. The pickup of the bike was delayed one day because the salesperson said the ignition key was lost at the warehouse, and a new one would have to be express shipped from Suzuki America.

I am happy with the bike, and nothing serious has malfunctioned in any way in its first 1200 miles. However, several weeks ago I noticed oil around the right fork dust seal. Rightfully assuming I had blown a seal, I made an appointment with Powersports Denver (on 104th Ave.) to have the fork seal replaced and the 600-mi. service completed. During this initial phone call I was told that they may not have the seal, which would mean they’d have to order it.

I brought the bike in as scheduled on Tuesday, July 15. At some point during that day (either when I dropped the bike off or when I called to check on its status), I was told that the fork seal definitely wasn’t in stock, and I’d have to bring the bike in at another time after the part arrived. When I came to pick up the bike on the afternoon of the 15th, I was told that the part had been “found,” so they were ready to replace it after all. However, I didn’t have any ride home at that point, so I arranged to bring the motorcycle in again the morning of the 16th to complete the fork seal repair. (I should add that Nick, from the service counter, called my home and cell phone shortly after I left to pick up the bike to tell me that they had indeed found the fork seal part. Unfortunately, I was unable to receive his call.)

I picked the bike up the afternoon of July 17 and began to ride home. Immediately, I noticed that the front brake felt soft. I thought it must have been due to a cable adjustment, but when I got to the next traffic signal I looked at the lever assembly and saw that the two bolts that hold it to the handlebar were completely loosened. The entire lever assembly was moving back and forth whenever the lever was squeezed. I turned around, drove right back into the service area, and a technician came out and tightened it. I figured this was a minor glitch and I didn’t want to make trouble for any of the service people.

However, there are a couple other issues that I have discovered and thought about since last week that only added to my discomfort regarding leaving my bike in your hands again:

1) I specifically asked that my clutch cable be adjusted when I first dropped off the bike, because it seemed that the barrel adjuster at the handlebar end was already at the end of its limit (the free play was within specs, but any further adjustment would have required working on the clutch end of the cable). When I received the bike back the first time, the locking nut on the barrel adjuster was completely loose and hanging in the middle of the threads. I addressed this issue again when I dropped off the bike the second time, and it appeared to be corrected.

2) I had also mentioned, in my first phone call, that I thought the chain needed adjustment. I had measured the slack according to the owner’s manual, and it was at the outside limit of manufacturer’s recommendation. That is, like the clutch cable, it was barely within spec, but obviously at the end of the range that Suzuki deems safe. I was assured that chain cleaning, lube, and adjustment was included in the 600-mi. service, but when I checked again two days ago, it was clear that the axle bolts hadn’t been touched nor the chain slack adjusted. Now the slack is clearly greater than specification, and I have no rear stand with which to adjust it myself.

Now, should I make another appointment to have my chain adjusted, or spend $150 on a stand so I know it’s done right? It seems that if I spend $250 (I declined the oil change or it would have been $270) on a service package that requires virtually zero parts (aside from chain, fittings, and cable lube, not that I have any evidence that these components were actually serviced), my bike should receive at least a couple hours’ attention from an expert, qualified technician. Was that the case? It’s hard for me to imagine.

There were some positive aspects to my experience: my fork seal was covered under warranty, with no questions asked; the service manager (?), Nick, was very helpful and cooperative—I would be happy to work with him at any time. Actually, I’ve never had a single problem with any Powersports employee, from sales to service to reception, they have all been friendly and professional. (Oh, I forgot, I have been unable to register my vehicle in Jefferson County because of an error made by your titling department.)

My main issue is that I don’t trust what the service technicians claim to do, or their competence in performing the tasks that they do accomplish. Therefore, I won’t be bringing my motorcycle to any Colorado Powersports in the future for maintenance or repairs, or recommending you to any of my fellow riders. If you are truly interested in ideas to help repair your service reputation with myself and others, I would be happy to provide further input. If not, I won’t waste any further time or energy trying to help.

CO Powersports on 104th is the closest bike shop to my office, so I thought I'd give them a try a while back. The results were the same on each of three times I attempted to give them some of my hard-earned cash.

Call the shop. Someone picks up, I get transferred to parts, and then I'm on hold long enough to hear their incredibly annoying jingle in its entirety at least 6 times before someone picks up and say "Oh, parts never picked up, huh?" before putting me back on hold.

Eventually some kid picks up the phone and I tell him what I need. He puts me on hold. Then comes back and asks me for what bike & what year & what was I looking for again, 3 times, putting me on hold inbetween each reaffirmation even though I told him that up front.

Every time it's the same story; nothing's in stock, it'll take a week to arrive and everything's more expensive than elsewhere (except for Fay Myers, who are consistently the most expensive shop in town, even with a racer discount - but that's another story).

The two times I actually ventured in there, I dealt with some kid who obvisouly didn't give a sh*t about whether I got the right parts or not, and one guy who was actually very helpful & knowledgeable, but again didn't have anything in stock. And I'm not talking specialized Zook parts here, I'm talking basic stuff like a chain breaking tool or dielectric grease or sliders.

Totally, utterly, useless, in my book. I'd rather drive the miles to Performance, TK or GPMS than deal with them again.
    "Life is not a journey unto the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but rather
    to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

-
    SV650S/SV650 Superbike/R6/1150GS/Tuono R

Ironically Fay had some decent prices on tie downs when I went in there, $29.95 for the CanyonDancer and like $12 for a set of 2 of those cam-buckle pull straps with the coated hooks. Their kneesliders were more expensive but I didn't have time to get to performance, so I got them anyway - won't be doing that again. They were just more convenient in location.

See I just need to open my own shop up so I can always get the stuff I need... hmmm.......

Yeah I think I have all of you guys beat. Yall can tell me what little shit eaters they are. I purchased a 03 GSXR 600 from them back in June. I understood everything in the deal and she went over the paperwork well... Or so I thought. She starts telling me that with every new bike there is this coverage that CO requires which is called GAP insurance $500 also this new extra theft protection which makes bikes almost impossible to steal $300 that was my own fault there. Then she goes on and on how every dealer charges a shipping and set-up fee which is true $1000. Now I stunt bikes and I have never bought a new bike from a dealer and she starts telling me about the extra service contract being that I tear my bikes up $1300. Ok so im all excited and signing everything she tells me 11k + for the bike. I figured with my credit that was price after the loan not a bad deal in my mind. So I drive it to work with all my paperwork and get bored at work and decide to actually read the crap. 11k is what I paid for the bike and 14k is what I will pay at the end of the loan. So im just flamin pissed off and call Joe right away and tell him im bringing this bike back. His clever ass says well "we cant do that" So I said fine then drop all these extra charges I got on here that I dont want, again " yea we cant do that either". I finally call my lawyer and says everything they did was legal but it was typical of a dealership and tells me "should have called me before dumbass thats why you pay me". So I call Joe back and tell him listen fucker I dont want this bike im going to drop it off on your lot with the keys in it. I knew I had no grounds or any legal matter to win this so I waited to see what the offer was and all he said he could do was make my first payment for me. So I took it in the ass from CO Pwrsports at no fault but my own. On top of all this remember when I said I stunt my bike? Yeah that means I got the crusty plastics to prove it so now its no longer worth what stock was. Im a dumb fuck. Wanna buy a bike anyone?
    A good friend will come and bail you out of jail, a best friend will be in the cell with you saying "that was fun".

11k is what I paid for the bike and 14k is what I will pay at the end of the loan. So im just flamin pissed off
    You're going to sh!t a brick when you see how mortgages work
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

LoL

I almost choked when I found out how much interest I will pay over the life of my Mortgage. It pains me SOOO much to write the mortgage check each month, knowing I am only paying down the balance a few hundred dollars.

I was being really good sending in extra money each month; until I just HAD to buy a new R6.

I've worked in the finance industry for years. They tried to pull that shit with me too. I laughed, called the finance manager a fuckin jackoff and walked right out of the office and bought my bike from Fay Myers.

A lot of people bash Fay but they were honest about the bike they were selling me, fair with the price and didn't try to bullshit me during financing with dealer add-on's.

BTW, gap insurance isn't mandatory...it pays the deficiency balance on your bike if you crash it and the insurance payoff doesn't cover what you owe.

Another thing...(here's the REALLY fucked up part)...you've got a simple interest loan. It means you pay interest daily. Meaning, if youre late on a payment...you just added more money to the end of your loan. If you were a few days late on 5 or 6 payments over the term of your loan, you could end up paying quite a lot more for that bike than you planned.

Better luck next time brotha!

I use to work in finance as well. If I had it to do over again I would have purchased the GAP. BTW it costed you $300, Sate law does not allow dealerships to sell it for more than that. 500 is what you paid for theft. Gap is very usefull but only if you use it. It's useless if you put down enough money so that your paying for what the bike is actually worth or you got a screamin good deal. finance dept.'s shouldn't describe these items as mandatory only as options and should fully explain each one and how it works but then again maybe thats why I never made much money in finance

As far as taking the bike back thats why when your buying anything you need to sit down and clear your head and ask questions and think about what the costs are. You may have very well thought at the time that everything was a good idea and it still could be. If your bikes ever stolen you'll get money from theft protection and gap will basically pay off your bike and give you a nice down payment for a new bike. If you ever wreck your bike, instead of being forced to make payments on something you don't have, anything you owe over what the blue book value is paid for in full up to $5000. As far as Service plans go take that bike there every week and change the oil and follow all you routine services. You paid for it you might as well use it. Dealerships hope you won't use it that way the contract is pure profit. Have you had your 1000 mile service, 3000 mile, 5000 mile etc...?

I'm not trying to pitch you on anything I'm just trying to show you what you paid for. Most of the time as long as your monthly payment and interest are good then your fully protected. Now if you bought credit protection thats another story....

will theft protection still work if I only have Liability? And yes I use all my services.
    A good friend will come and bail you out of jail, a best friend will be in the cell with you saying "that was fun".

I can't remember if suzuki does it or not but I know as far as Yamaha is concerned if you are financing through them via HRSI you do not need full coverage or even proof to take the bike from the dealer if your total with tax is under $10,000. Local banks and all credit unions require proof of insurance regardless of the amount.

Good question though, there is a maxium limit theft will pay out but with the combination of theft and gap will probably cover the bike. your paperwork should tell you. The real question to me is how much did you pay for the bike? No need to answer but if you paid MSRP plus tax no worries but I know you have an extra $800 right off the bat with your coverage no big deal though if someone steals your bike you'll get paid. Granted it won't be fixed overnight (possibly months) It will get handled though. I suggest getting full coverage.

Nothing you can do about it now anyways just enjoy your bike

Quote Originally Posted by John@CoyoteMotorsports
    Nothing you can do about it now anyways just enjoy your bike
    You could ride it through their store front window. I don't think it would solve anything, though
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Like that Discount Tire commercial, where the old lady throws the tire through the window?
    Alex
    MRA #68
    http://www.3dstickfight.com/racing/
    Racing Performance Services, Racer Supply Co., Morse Racing Products
    ”Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature nor do the children of humankind as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing."
    -- Helen Keller