Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fear of I25 & US36.

Re: Fear of I25 & US36.

go into a parking lot and practice making turns and exagerating how far you look through turns. You will be amazed at how much the head helps and will smooth out the turn. You basically want to be looking past the exit of the turn. Practice and practice. Use parking lots. This should help with the sweepers.
    MRA #176 Rookie/Novice
    Sponsor: Visa Mastercard overdraft protection

Maybe the best way to get over doing 75 mph is find a nice stretch of road and throw it up to 140 or 150 mph and do some lane changing, braking, tuck, stand, etc... then when you come back down to highway speeds, everything feels like a breeze. LOL worked for me. Maybe take two or three valiume before attempting this because it rattles the nerves a bit.
    Last edited by buzzardman36; Mon Jun 22nd, 2009 at 03:05 PM.
    I may not go down in history, but I might go down on your sister!

~BaRned~

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    ^^ Good advice "Almost everyone"

Troy can go pilot an Air France jet from Brazil with his comments.
    LMAO.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    The sweeping turn off from 36 to 25 is still unsure for me -- I could feel the bike drifting left. I think I'll keep chipping away, and look forward to the next noob ride.

Thanks again.
    That's a tough corner, but it sounds like you may not be leaning enough, or shifting your weight correctly. Don't let your body lean left if you're turning right.
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

Board Newbie

I agree with everyone that it just takes time, and the MSF class really helps. I took it when I first started riding and they teach you a lot of fundamentals that will help you when riding (Lane position, turning, etc.)

I have only been riding for 3 years, and I still have a ton to learn, but I do ride I25 every day to and from work. I find that the key to riding on I25/36 or any road is to be completely aware of everything around you. You have to be paying attention to every car on the road (Front, sides, and rear). I also make sure that I position myself where the cars next to me can see me (just slightly ahead of the car, and if that isn't possible, i slow down and ride slightly behind them so that if they do cut in my lane I am not in their path). Ride defensively, I always treat every car as if they don't see me.

It may also help to get with someone that isn't overly agressive in their riding to go out for a ride with you. Ride at your own pace.

I was nervous about my first trip down I25 as well. I decided that the far left lane was my best bet. Just ride the same speed as the person in front of you, and you don't have to worry as much about breaking and merging cars.

Like Jim said about riding a little faster than the flow of traffic....not aggressive but assertive. Traffic moves in clumps separated by “non-clumps.” Find a non-clump if possible, and never follow a load.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

I know a few people who are still afraid of I25 after years of riding. I think I25 especially is worth avoiding if you can, especially the stretch from the north metro area through littleton.

I would suggest getting out to IMI some weekend. It's a pretty relaxed environment and the more comfortable you get leaning the bike there, the less likely you are to panic in a higher speed corner if more lean angle is required than what you are currently comfortable with. Most importantly, just like others have said, take your time and ride within your limits. The bike is capable of a lot more than you think, so take your time and build your skill up. You'll be a better rider for it.

Quote Originally Posted by chanke4252 View Post
    I know a few people who are still afraid of I25 after years of riding. I think I25 especially is worth avoiding if you can, especially the stretch from the north metro area through littleton.
    I-25 ain't shit.

go ride the 405 freeway, in either direction, in Los Angeles between the 101 freeway and LAX and then come talk to me.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

Zommmmbie thread

Also, I25 isn't shit, as previously stated.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Quote Originally Posted by Matty View Post
    I-25 ain't shit.

go ride the 405 freeway, in either direction, in Los Angeles between the 101 freeway and LAX and then come talk to me.
    Or 95, 495, & 14th street in DC...
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]