Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Right Shoulder Numbness

Right Shoulder Numbness

When I go on rides over an hour or two (highways mainly as I don't have any real mountain riding experience), my right shoulder starts getting a little numb and tense. I feel like I'm pretty loose on the bars and consciously try to stay loose. No problems with my left though, just the throttle side. I'm a young, decently fit, guy and I've never had any shoulder injuries. Any thoughts as to what the issue is? Has anyone else had this problem? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Hold on to your butts.

07 GSXR-600

Re: Right Shoulder Numbness

Have you set the controls up for you?

If your controls are set up wrong, you may be causing stress by incorrect posture. Check to make sure that your wrists aren't kinked when riding. If they are, you may want to roll your controls to straighten out your wrists. Small adjustments have large effects on the rest of the body.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Wow. That is actually excellent advice. I have never done that and I bet Im sitting there with a normal left wrist and a cock-eyed right one ergo screwing with my shoulders. Ill fix that and let ya know. Thanks man!
    Hold on to your butts.

07 GSXR-600

I normally rest my left elbow on my tank to relieve pressure from my right shoulder. Of course you have to ride with just your right hand on the controls!!! Not recommended for the less experienced riders that need to have both hands on the handlebars.
    Elden (The Superchink) MRA #415 / AFM #102

Do you want to take your riding to the next level?
    http://chicanetrackdays.com/

Unique Track Day event to benefit children!!!
    http://www.racing2savelives.org/

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

I'd go to my Orthrapod nad have an MRI. But that's just me ----- an old-fart.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

^^ if you have the means
    sounds like your neck is the problem. Let us know !

You should see a chiropractor. It doesn't necessarily have to be an injury in your shoulder; it could be a variety of things (ex. back injury, neck injury, or simply just not in line) which can cause this or overcompensation of other muscles causing pain and or fatigue in other areas.

I'm not a "Orthrapod"
    but I do have a good working knowledge of orthopeadics and the musculoskeletal system and I agree with adjusting your riding position especially the way you hang on to your bars.
    I think Chiropractors are Quacks so dont waste your time.
    Try stretching really well before you ride and perhaps work out your upper body a bit.
    be nice till it's time to no longer be nice

My right hand has been falling asleep alot lately.
    R.I.P. Lahela 10/12/1986-08/01/2008

Want to become a super hero? http://www.donoralliance.org/info-page-1

"I don't fail I just succeed at finding ways that don't work."
    Chris Titus

CSC Spelling Bee Champ 2008 and 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Tipys View Post
    Quit sitting on it...
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by honey View Post
    You should see a chiropractor. It doesn't necessarily have to be an injury in your shoulder; it could be a variety of things (ex. back injury, neck injury, or simply just not in line) which can cause this or overcompensation of other muscles causing pain and or fatigue in other areas.
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by SaShWhO View Post
    I think Chiropractors are Quacks so dont waste your time.

Evidence in the case demonstrated that the AMA knew of scientific studies implying that chiropractic care was twice as effective cis medical care in relieving many painful conditions of the neck and back as well as related musculoskeletal problems.
    Chiropractors won the suit against the AMA.
    Link
    It works! Slow in, Fast out
    "Sarcasm is difficult to convey on the internet, especially if the people reading it don't know you personally". By Spiderman
    Neither irony nor sarcasm is argument. By Rufus Choate
    Be smart, be nice, do what'cha love and always have fun.
    Let food be your medicine, and medicine be your food. - Hippocrates
    I will use treatment to help the sick. I will never use it to injure them or wrong them. I will not give poison to anyone. - The Hippocratic Oath

"Chiropractors won the suit against the AMA."
    Link

yeah and OJ won the suit against him back in the day but that hardly changes the fact.
    be nice till it's time to no longer be nice

I haven't had time to adjust bars (work and rain) but that will be my first step. If that doesn't help, perhaps some kind of doctor visit will be in order. Heck, could be a number of things i guess...Its no lie, I don't have the best posture.

But ya know what? It will probably just go away. I think I'll just ignore it and do 800 mile rides...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FApyDP0vMac
    Hold on to your butts.

07 GSXR-600

Unfortunately, not every chiropractor is a good chiropractor just as not every mechanic is suited to repair motorcycles or vehicles. You have probably read quite of bit of that in some of the posts here. Word of mouth is a powerful thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipys View Post
    Mine does that too, I like to call it "The Stranger"! A little numbness isn't necessarily a bad thing

Ask around for a good chiropractor but posture is a big part of the puzzel like everyone else already said. I have the same problem and for me it has been alignment issues and basically just the way my body is built. I have to shift body weight often and move the joints during long rides, a little while on the tank, a little while on your left arm on the tank or the bars, that kind of thing. Also, shoulder rolls, almost like shrugs but full rolls forward and backward help to get the blood flowing and keep pressure off of nerves in your neck and shoulders.

Good luck!
    "Leze Le Bon Temps Roulet"
    Let The Good Times Roll!!

Sounds kinda weird, but start doing situps & more core-based exercises and you'll find that riding gets more & more comfortable because you're building up the muscles that help keep you in good riding position. This will keep you from putting your weight on odd parts of your arms, wrists, & hands, as well as keeping your back from really hurting on long rides.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    I'd go to my Orthrapod nad have an MRI. But that's just me ----- an old-fart.
    If the motorcycle adjustments fail .

I had a similar problem that also involved my forearm. Ended up getting an MRI to find a deformed C5 vertebrae that was described as an "old trauma injury". Landed on my head on a trampoline when I was younger and shrugged it off as a sore neck. Happy days!

What kind of a bike is it? You could get some heli bars and raise em up an inch or two. relieve some pressure
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

Honestly, it's a combination of issues. Pain, numbness, achiness...whatever it is that you feel, is always the last thing to show up in a problem, but it's the first to go away. With that being said, those symptoms only happen by one of two different means.

1. Major trauma: Which is something like a slip and fall, accident, or blow to the back/neck. If you haven't had major trauma, then the only other means of pain/symptoms to the body happens by #2....

2. Micro-trauma over time: This is a repetitive position or over-use of the body and/or involved segment of the body.

#2 is most common. Most of us see it/experience it because we sit behind the desk/computer. This posture is also mimicked while on the bike. Often times it's because you are too far back on your seat causing you to tilt your head back for a period of time longer than your body can deal with. Sitting back to far or wrong position on the bike can also be caused by what Salsashark said...you're set up on the bike might not be the right set up for your body.

Another thing to think about is the numbness in your shoulder. Numbness means there is constant and direct pressure on a never, that's the only cause, for the most part. The only other cause of numbness is a severed never and I'm positive that because you are using your arm, you don't have that.

I'm sure you've hit your funny bone before, right? You hit your elbow and that hurts like a bitch, but you don't feel the numbess there, you feel the numbness down your arm to your finger tips. The upper back and lower neck is like the funny bone of the spine. Mild pressure on a nerve coming from that area will go into the shoulder, moderate pressure will go to the elbow, and severe pressure will go all the way to the finger tips, or the nerves end. As long as that pressure stays on that nerve, you will always experience that pain in the should, but it will come and go. And the longer it goes on, the worse it will get.

You'd be foolish to take the advise of someone who HAS NOT been to a chiropractor, or doesn't know what a chiropractor does. Those are the people who say chiropractors are quacks...NO OFFENSE TO SaShWhO of course. I'm just telling it like it is. Because this chiropractor knows his shit, very well. Plus I ride and you can't beat that.....AM I RIGHT?

Valgaurd, I'd be happy to see you free of charge because I can help you, and that's what members/friends of this forum should do.
    Last edited by dcbeggs; Thu Jun 25th, 2009 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dcbeggs View Post
    With that being said, those symptoms only happen by one of two different means...
    Or in my case, pain can happend with 1 + 2. The nerve branches going through decreased size openings from trauma with the addition of bad posture = Pain.

Valguard,

I tried to self treat my increasing pain but failed. In the end I ended up with muscles seizing up and agrivating the issue which resulting in 3 months of therapy. I can't speak for chiropractors but addressing the issue IMHO is the right way to go before worse comes.

Sorry to zombie this thread, but I just wanted to give an update:

I went and saw dcbeggs at his chiropractic place. He pointed out what he thought the problem was and then worked his chiro magic. Told me to come back once or twice a week. I have been seeing him since I posted this thread and I feel tons better. My numbness has gone away and riding my motorcycle has been way more enjoyable.

All this to say, dont knock it till you try it. It really helped me out. Also, a HUGE thank you to dcbeggs for reaching out and helping a brother. I really appreciate it man.
    Hold on to your butts.

07 GSXR-600

Nice update glad he was able to help you out.

My right thumb gets numb\hypersensitive. After my last ride it was super sensitive for about 2-3 days. Kinda like it was rubbed raw. I was thinking that maybe just switching out my gloves and or grips would fix the issue? Anyone else have any suggestions? Seems very weird cause it was just the thumb nothing else.
    The time to hesitate is through
    No time to wallow in the mire
    Try now we can only lose
    And our love become a funeral pyre

07 cbr600rr - cookie
    02 yzf600r - sold

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

Mine started with the right thumb and after months moved to the hand and arm... Had an MRI and found out I had a pinched nerve C6... tried Chiro, electrode massage, regular massages, PT, cortizone shots (yes, in the neck), etc. and nothing helped.. had surgery 2 years ago.. a plate and 4 screws .. good times
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

next time you are out riding and feel any pains, or are just plain thirsty, pull into the closest bar, pound a few cold ones and hit the road again...problem solved

You may need to repeat this process throughout more lengthy rides...so to be on the safe side...try to stop at every bar you pass.