Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: illegal or not?

illegal or not?

Riding to work today, I saw a guy turn left at an intersection as soon as the light changed to green. Meaning, as soon as it turned green, the guy turned left before the on coming cars, on the opposite side of traffic, even made it in the intersection. In a way, it could be considered "cutting them off", but really the oncoming traffic wasn't effected because of the bikes acceleration. So while it seems like a good way to get T-boned on a bike, is it in fact illegal? Opinions? Facts?

Scers sidekick... PuhRobin Yearly Supporter Foolds's Avatar

Re: illegal or not?

Illegal failure to yeild right of way. Also dumb if some one wanted to jump the light

All praise the Snow God, for he let's us Ride!!

risky move. it will catch up with the rider eventually
    http://www.rapidfirebunker.com
    $15 FFL TRANSFERS. $15 Private Transfers
    Emergency Preparedness Store, Survival BULK Food, knives, Guns, Ammo, FREEDOM

This is a "Pittsburgh left". It is common practice to do it in Pgh as the drivers in the other lane commonly let the first person turning left go across when the light turns green. When I moved here I had to consciously remember not attempt this, as it is not the norm that I was used to.

Of course, this person could've just been an asshole in a hurry. Much more likely.
    CEO, Angry Marmot Motorsports
    07 Passion Red Kawi 650R

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    Riding to work today, I saw a guy turn left at an intersection as soon as the light changed to green. Meaning, as soon as it turned green, the guy turned left before the on coming cars, on the opposite side of traffic, even made it in the intersection. In a way, it could be considered "cutting them off", but really the oncoming traffic wasn't effected because of the bikes acceleration. So while it seems like a good way to get T-boned on a bike, is it in fact illegal? Opinions? Facts?
    OMG - that happened to me yesterday... Actually I wanted to tag him with my FJ to show the ass what my Brushguard can do to his car... If I hit him - would it be my fault????
    Last edited by Horsman; Thu Jul 23rd, 2009 at 01:28 PM.

Not illegal, dumb, but not illegal. If you get HIT, you've failed to yield but other then that it's all fair game. Def. wouldn't try it with an open lane green light PLUS what if someone ran the red!?
    08 CBR 1KRR RED
    Lots of goodies, more to come
    06 Big Dog K9 custom

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

I like it. The gene pool needs chlorination from time-to-time.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Quote Originally Posted by Foolds View Post
    Illegal failure to yeild right of way.
    Quote Originally Posted by PROFLYER View Post
    Not illegal, dumb, but not illegal.
    Where are our resident LEO's?

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    I like it. The gene pool needs chlorination from time-to-time.
    LOL...
    A major distinction between the 'Pittsburgh Left' and the 'New York Left" - drivers in Pittsburgh more than likely perpetuate (and tolerate) this driving infraction because it is a necessary part of "making do" with what little in adequate driving Pittsburgh drivers truly have; in contrast, New York drivers make similar left turns (gunning through intersections at the beginning of green to beat the lead car in oncoming traffic) because they weren't beat enough as kids (i.e. snot-nosed punks) - definitely would like to know what the LEO's of Colorado have to say about it...
    Last edited by Horsman; Thu Jul 23rd, 2009 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PROFLYER View Post
    Not illegal, dumb, but not illegal. If you get HIT, you've failed to yield but other then that it's all fair game. Def. wouldn't try it with an open lane green light PLUS what if someone ran the red!?

This is not illegal if you pull it off, in other words an officer will not pull you over just say that your a moron. But if you do make that turn and get tagged you do risk getting up to careless driving. Its no different then if you are sitting at a stop sign and you are getting blinded by the sun, if you pull out and a car hits you then you are at fault for carelessly making a turn when you are unable to see oncoming traffic.

But yes if this guy would have got tagged then he would have been the one getting the citation.

Unless you know for sure if something is illegal or not, and i mean without a doubt.. dont go around screaming your opinions.. opinions are just that, not facts.. If you do this and you get hit its not fair game, you will get a nasty charge on your license that doesn't go away
    "If you love something, let it go... If it comes back to you, you've just high sided!"

'01 GSXR 750~Scorpion Exhaust~Carbon rear wheel cover, chain guard, intake, mirrors and signals~Targa Windscreen

Yes, very dumb, regardless of legality. I've seen a few folks do that before and their cavalier attitude towards their own personal safety and that of others makes me more interested in the parts on the bike than the part doing the riding.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

I do it all the time, simply because the lights in Denver seem to have been timed by a mildly, well make that severely, retarded individual. It seems like the intent is to have vehicles stop at almost every light, instead of creating continuous flow of traffic. I just don't get it.

Coming from the northeast, where reducing congestion and traffic flow is a well applied science, the move to Denver made me feel like I was relegated to the short-bus. I make due by jumping lights, making ultra-late turns (as the light turns from red), etc. Otherwise, what could be a 5 minute 2-mile trip is forced into a 20 minute endeavor, even in light traffic.

Denver traffic engineers need to wake-up and realize that not EVERY SINGLE street need be a functional thoroughfare. It is impractical due to the 45/90 degree intersecting grids, and results in less than ideal traffic flow in and around downtown. Instead, they should focus on creating primary arteries, and either limit flow on side streets, or cut off some of the less practical ones entirely.

[END RANT]

You just contradicted the majority on CSC and admitted doing something unsafe/illegal. How dare you! Run for the hills, hell is about to break lose!!!!

j/k

It is NOT illegal. It is incredibly stupid for the reasons already mentioned, but not necessarily illegal. Since, in the scenario you described, the guy didn't cause anyone to have to brake or stop or slow to avoid his dumb ass, he hasn't technically violated their right of way. If, however, he wasn't as fast on the throttle or not fast enough to make it through the intersection, then he could get pulled over for a litay of charges including the ROW and impeding the normal flow of traffic.

Horsman, if you hit him, it would've been entirely his fault... as long as you didn't say you were trying to teach the asshat a lesson.

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

I think it's dumb to do this, especially if it's a car doing it, which has happened to me MANY times downtown.

There is a spot in downtown Highlands where I'll purposely wait and wave the person, wanting to turn left, to go ahead since he/she is holding up traffic in the oncoming lane.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Quote Originally Posted by JustSomeDude View Post
    I do it all the time, simply because the lights in Denver seem to have been timed by a mildly, well make that severely, retarded individual. It seems like the intent is to have vehicles stop at almost every light, instead of creating continuous flow of traffic. I just don't get it.
    Timed for the masses who are in need of a mother to tell them what to do.
    However, all bets are off during winter with snow on the ground. I guess the people driving through red lights during snowie periods grew a pair. (Running red lights isn't for thy)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeoBe View Post
    This is not illegal if you pull it off, in other words an officer will not pull you over just say that your a moron.
    Exactly!

Hail...I did something similar to this after I turned 16 and would have received a 100%, however the DMV instructor told me the action I took was acceptable considering the other person didn't move after the traffic control device indicated for them to go. 5 pt deduction for this move is required. (I still aced the driver test...bitches!)

If a checker is not busy, I chose not to wait in the long freaking line at a customer returns location. The checker can do a silly return, after they call the dept for approval. (Shush, nobody's suppose to know this...for it might be against the rules!)

A month ago, a individual was stopped in the left turn lane at an intersection and wanted to go straight. Two cars pulled behind this smart 'parked' driver with their turn indicators flashing. These two cars were WAY to close to drive around the smart 'parked' driver in the incorrect lane. As I approached the scene without a vitamin A deficiency. I took the lane to the right, (where the smart 'parked' driver was suppose to be) and turned left with the left indicator flashing.
    Honking, waving or giving a solute does nothing for the self-righteous, self-absorbed smart 'parked' drivers out there. If any honking, waving or the solute occured, a LEO might call this action 'road-rage'. Some really smart people were given the though that a flashing of the head lights means road-rage, vs flash-to-pass.

I find it's much easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

Would we want to put our life on hold for someone who doesn't have a hold on their life?
    Last edited by dapper; Thu Jul 23rd, 2009 at 04:52 PM.
    It works! Slow in, Fast out
    "Sarcasm is difficult to convey on the internet, especially if the people reading it don't know you personally". By Spiderman
    Neither irony nor sarcasm is argument. By Rufus Choate
    Be smart, be nice, do what'cha love and always have fun.
    Let food be your medicine, and medicine be your food. - Hippocrates
    I will use treatment to help the sick. I will never use it to injure them or wrong them. I will not give poison to anyone. - The Hippocratic Oath

Quote Originally Posted by CaneZach View Post
    Horsman, if you hit him, it would've been entirely his fault... as long as you didn't say you were trying to teach the asshat a lesson.
    Mumm is da werd!!!! I just think it is very dangerous for anyone on the receiving of the Pittsburgh Left especially during a snow storm - just shocked it isn't illegal. It is really scary for our riders to try and navigate that type of situation too. I would hate to see some rider get hurt because of some asshats impatient actions...

Quote Originally Posted by Horsman View Post
    Mumm is da werd!!!! I just think it is very dangerous for anyone on the receiving of the Pittsburgh Left especially during a snow storm - just shocked it isn't illegal. It is really scary for our riders to try and navigate that type of situation too. I would hate to see some rider get hurt because of some asshats impatient actions...
    This is a unique subject because sooo many intersections are build with their own quirks. Using 12' per lane with 4 lanes headed in all directions with a 12' median between the directions is a large intersection.

Cal stop isn't allowed by most LEO, however it's nearly a standard practice by some tax payers.

Some judges make examples out of gamblers on the road, such as 1 yr in jail.
    It works! Slow in, Fast out
    "Sarcasm is difficult to convey on the internet, especially if the people reading it don't know you personally". By Spiderman
    Neither irony nor sarcasm is argument. By Rufus Choate
    Be smart, be nice, do what'cha love and always have fun.
    Let food be your medicine, and medicine be your food. - Hippocrates
    I will use treatment to help the sick. I will never use it to injure them or wrong them. I will not give poison to anyone. - The Hippocratic Oath

It's 100% illegal. It falls under failure to yield right of way and or reckless driving. You don't have to hit someone or something to get cited. You can probably get away with this in Denver because they don't care but expect a 4 point ticket anywhere else in Colorado.

If you've got the space, then do it. I see nothing wrong with it. I've done it before, but there's gotta be enough room for it. Only safe to do it when it's, well, safe. Just like passing on double yellow.

Failure to yield comes only when you have impeded the traffic you are supposed to yield to. If you don't, then it's not illegal.
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

Quote Originally Posted by johnlax33 View Post
    It's 100% illegal. It falls under failure to yield right of way and or reckless driving. You don't have to hit someone or something to get cited. You can probably get away with this in Denver because they don't care but expect a 4 point ticket anywhere else in Colorado.
    Not to question you; but are you stating a fact (that can be proven), experience or belief? Just asking.

Actually, as I said before, it is NOT illegal. It is incredibly stupid and selfish, but not illegal, given the context of the scenario. Think of it this way:

A car or bike is at a light and they are waiting to turn left. They wait for all traffic to clear, but there is still a car coming, but it is far enough away for the turning driver to complete their turn before the oncoming driver reaches the intersection. Such a turn would be completely LEGAL. In the instance given, there is no difference between the two, except that oncoming traffic is at a stop as opposed to rolling. As long as the oncoming drivers are not encumbered by your presence and their path of travel is not impeded, there is no violation of right of way.

Quote Originally Posted by Horsman View Post
    LOL...
    A major distinction between the 'Pittsburgh Left' and the 'New York Left" - drivers in Pittsburgh more than likely perpetuate (and tolerate) this driving infraction because it is a necessary part of "making do" with what little in adequate driving Pittsburgh drivers truly have; in contrast, New York drivers make similar left turns (gunning through intersections at the beginning of green to beat the lead car in oncoming traffic) because they weren't beat enough as kids (i.e. snot-nosed punks) - definitely would like to know what the LEO's of Colorado have to say about it...

Would have been a "Boston Left" if the light was still red.
    To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive

Hyper 1100
    KTM 450 XCW