Thread: HPR "short" configuration

HPR "short" configuration

Was anyone at HPR on Monday? We went and had a great time, but they were running a "short" configuration that cut out some of the turns on the northern end of the track in preparation for the next MRA weekend. It was my first time there so I don't have experience with the other turns, but from watching videos it looks like they're some of the best ones!

Oh well, guess we'll just have to go back next month and run the full course...
    Paul G.
    2005 R1

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

Re: HPR "short" configuration

Ha!!! Don't even get me started. Yes, the track manager at HPR decided one day that it would be "fun" to close off the entire northern side of the track.

I asked why. I was told "just because".

And yes, it's the screaming, sweeping, fun, absolute best part of the track.

Banning in 5,4,3,2...
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

Quote Originally Posted by 64BonnieLass View Post
    Ha!!! Don't even get me started. Yes, the track manager at HPR decided one day that it would be "fun" to close off the entire northern side of the track.

Banning in 5,4,3,2...

Yes that is the best part of the track. Also Terri I don't think we will ever see your name turn pink.
    R.I.P. Lahela 10/12/1986-08/01/2008

Want to become a super hero? http://www.donoralliance.org/info-page-1

"I don't fail I just succeed at finding ways that don't work."
    Chris Titus

CSC Spelling Bee Champ 2008 and 2009

Quote Originally Posted by 64BonnieLass View Post

Banning in 5,4,3,2...
    Typical

Pay for the whole track?

Lol, although I prefer the full course myself I understand this configuration is only for one weekend--the next race at HPR at the end of July. Then back to the full course.

I don't like the bump in the cross over section of the short course, otherwise it's ok.
    MRA #145 Wyeth Jackson
    Sponsors:
    Wyeth Homes Real Estate www.WyethJackson.com
    G-Force Powersports and Kawasaki
    Dunlop Tires
    Bart and Mad-Moto
    SpeedMob
    Woodcraft
    Moto-Garage
    Un!nk Printworks

I loose soooo much time going down that hill - cutting it out sounds good

They built it to be run in 3 different configurations, so why not try em all? Bummer about the bump, though.
    peter emsley - MRA #203

You guys are cute

Miller Motorsports Park does this all the time. They have 4 different track layouts like High Plains and they use them all throughout the year for motorcycle events both race and track days.

Also you didnt ride the "short course" you rode the "west course" which is still 2 miles long. Not one of the people i talked with who have rode both the full and west course said they didnt like the west course.
    Mike
    No doubt about the future, No regrets about the past!

Quote Originally Posted by hcr25 View Post
    You guys are cute

Miller Motorsports Park does this all the time. They have 4 different track layouts like High Plains and they use them all throughout the year for motorcycle events both race and track days.
    not a good comparison when miller full course is 4.5 miles and east and west are 2.3 miles each. they split the track in half so they can accommodate 2 seperate events.

Also you didnt ride the "short course" you rode the "west course" which is still 2 miles long. Not one of the people i talked with who have rode both the full and west course said they didnt like the west course.
    Mike
    I rode it on Sunday June 14th. I am not going to say I did not like the "west course", but it is definately not as fun as when the north loop is included...and that big bump sucks. My sentiments were echoed by some other riders that were there that day.
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Mike
    Good points. Variety is good, although one can argue the benefits of cutting out some of the best turns on a track...

As for the term, I used "short course" as that's how it's labeled on the HPR website. Can't wait til August to try out the full course!
    Paul G.
    2005 R1

Quote Originally Posted by lovinCO View Post
    Lol, although I prefer the full course myself I understand this configuration is only for one weekend--the next race at HPR at the end of July. Then back to the full course.

I don't like the bump in the cross over section of the short course, otherwise it's ok.

Monday was also my first time at HPR so I wouldn't know any different. I thought the "short" course was fun, although yes that bump going down the hill blows.

I am still grinning from Monday, that track is the best we've ever had in CO and I can't wait to get the "full" HPR experience...

At least we are racing Pueblo this weekend, so after riding around all the bumps out there the High Plains bump shouldnt be as bad.

It seems we will always be unhappy about something when it comes to tracks we have.
    mike

No one is complaining. I didnt see that anyone is unhappy in these posts. Everyone likes HPR. Opinions are being voiced on the full course vs the short course, thats all. I liked running the "short course/west loop" configuration 2 weeks ago, but I liked running the full configuration more. And no one is comparing HPR to Pueblo. Pueblo is 30 years old and falling apart. Anyone that has ridden both will know that HPR is like riding on glass.....except for that 1 bump!
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

I'm the happiest person I know. Ask anyone!

And Jim, your post is right on the money. Well said.
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

Actually alot of complaing is has been going on, not really on this board though. The main problem is a misunderstanding of what course and for how long.

Believe it or not some racers thought we were going to run the 2 mile course the rest of the year. Also the term "short course" made some racers think we were going to race on the smallest of the four tracks at High Plains.

Mike

I'd be happy to go back on HPR since it and PPIR are the only tracks worth what little money I have to race on.

HOWEVER, not getting a vote on the configuration is BS & taking away a percentage of the track "Just Cause" without discounting me that same percentage is also BS

Then again, my .02 isn't worth 2 pennies
    "Every Crotch is a Rocket" HDAVE

'09 Suzuki SV650
    '07 Honda CBR 600RR
    '14 1875 watt Conair

MRA#522