Thread: OT - Love dogs? National Mill Dog Rescue

OT - Love dogs? National Mill Dog Rescue

You've heard the saying, everything happens for a reason, right?

Remember that big speeding ticket I got last year on the "Firecracker 500"? Well, part of the deal with the speeding ticket is 40 hours of community service which I've been doing with the National Mill Dog Rescue in Peyton, CO. Shannon and I have both been volunteering actually and beyond the required number of hours we'll continue to help out there as it's something we've wanted to do, but the ticket gave me the "umph" to start.

The National Mill Dog Rescue specifically rescues "mill dogs" -- dogs that are breed commerically for the puppies you typically find in pet stores. It's heart breaking to see the mistreatment of these animals and eventually they get to a point where they're shut down for health, safety and cruelty to animals (where that's illegal), which is where the rescue comes in. Just over a week ago a group of volunteers drove nonstop to AK and MO and rescued 50-100 dogs.

They currently need volunteers to help with the dogs (Socializating, walking, cleaning the kennels, ect) I've been working with a few of the smaller dogs that are afraid of people and in only a few weeks I'm seeing a great deal of improvement in a few of my project dogs.

I went out there this morning and a KRDO news crew was out there -- the story is in the link below:

http://www.krdo.com/global/story.asp?s=10589618

The home page is: http://milldogrescue.org/index.html

Koda's video, one of the Arkansas rescue dogs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA8-WPMUW-g

They have all sorts of breeds and most of the dogs are pure breeds if that's important to you. If you're looking for a paticual type of dog, send me a PM and I can help you find one that fits your life style. Some are very shy and others are just the opposite. There's even a German Shepherd (named Tahara) that I would love to adopt if I didn't already have two dogs (both mill dog rescues, including a German Shepherd Shannon and I adopted from a rescue 5+ years ago) -- she's super friendly and very intellegent, like all GSDs.

Mill rescue dogs are typically very shy at first, but after a few weeks in your home they start to come out of their shell -- "Buddy", our Bischon spent the first 6 months of his life in a cage; he was 9 months old when we got him (he had been with a rescue for 3 months) -- we were the 3rd couple to adopt him, the first two returned him He was shaking in fear the whole drive home from Broomfield -- It took awhile but now you would never know he was a mill rescue dog and he litterly sleeps in my arm every night. "Shadow" our shepherd was a similar story.

-Clov
    Last edited by Clovis; Tue Jun 30th, 2009 at 10:02 PM.
    "If not us, who? If not now, when?"

Re: OT - Love dogs? National Mill Dog Rescue

Clovis,
    Nice to know there's someone out there taking care of these pups. Big thumbs up!
    Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

I really honor you for doing this man. Thanks, from a major dog lover
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

I fucking hate dogs.

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

Clovis,
    I can't even begin to tell you how much your post touched my heart of hearts. I think your post is honest and wonderful. Very wonderful.

I have put off posting here because my heart melted. I just melt over dogs as most know.

I want that German Shepherd. But I don't know how fair that would be to Zeus in his last moments with me in the house. And.....honestly all I want to do is replace Tyler, which is also impossible and just not fair to his memory.

But dear god, you melted me. I want nothing more then to have all of them. To save all of them. It's where my heart is, and I wish I could take them all.

I have often wanted to volunteer, but I know in my deepest depths, that my heart just can't take it or accept the knowledge of that reality.

I also wish I could "man up" and be a stronger person. But in this regard....I just can't. It hurts me way too much.

Your post is the best. I will bump it and bump it and bump it. It's the best I can do (until I see that Shephard face of course)
    Last edited by 64BonnieLass; Fri Jun 26th, 2009 at 08:10 PM.
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

I'm really glad to know that there are other dog lovers out there And just for Jason, I know he doesn't hate dogs but Shan and I also have three cats (Socks, Boots, Nike -- they're all black and white tuxiedo cats with white paws) -- Socks came from my inlaws, Boots and Nike came from the local humane society, cats with black fur are half priced (seriously!) because they're harder to adopt.

No children, just the four legged kind.

Boots (see below) is my work buddy, she's litterly always in this spot between my keyboard and montiors. I see a "kittah" photoshop in her future =)

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

Dear god thank you for the Cat pic. I about crapped thinking it was the german shepherd pic.

It's the only time in my life that I'm thankful for the damn kittah pics.

"Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

LOL -- here's one of Shadow, when I worked for a local mortgage company I used to take her to work occasionally.

I'm going out to the rescue tomorrow morning, if Tahara (the german shepherd) is still there, I'll take a picture of her for you.

She's mostly tan and a little underweight but very strong.

You too can have a bundle of fluffy fur that loves you! Actually, there's a bichon at the rescue named Polarbear or Mothball (someone keeps swapping him) -- anyhow, he's big for a Bischon and is the first white dog in the news video -- very sweet dog, not timid or shy at all -- Shannon wants to adopt or foster him, but again... we already have 5 pets.

Sorry for the delay -- Tahara is still at the rescue. She's a really sweet girl but she she's best if she's the only dog in the house. Sorry for the not-so-great photos, I only had my phone and getting her to hold still for more then a second is well...

If you like dogs you can play with, consider Eddie -- he's a 1 1/2 year old Jack Russell and this guy is a LOT of fun and he was not a mill rescue but rather an owner surrender. Jack Russells are high-energy dogs -- Eddie loves to play fetch (rather then take him for a long walk, I just go to a pen and toss a tennis ball for about 20 minutes. He knows to bring it back to you and will "drop it" on command. Sweet dog!

And lastly this little guy is Hunter -- he's from the ARK Puppy Mill rescue that happened two weeks ago. He's marked as 1 year old but that's an estimate, he's by my guess 10 months old or so. This guy is small enough to fit in a doggie tank bag and go ridiing -- he's also very sweet and affectionate, he would be happy with someone to sit next to.