Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on this Trailer?

Re: Thoughts on this Trailer?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister BOYD View Post
    I don't remember where I saw it or who the manufacturer is, but there is a trailer that you can roll your bike up on that actually dissassembles and stores in a bag. Sounds funny, but it looks pretty damn solid when put back together. It's about a grand or so. Just a suggestion for a trailer that you can store with limited space in a garage and would be far better than the one you are looking at. Otherwise get something like the hitch rack like McVaaahhh posted above. You can get it in a couple of configurations.

http://trailerinabag.com/products.html
    Not bad.. but $1200 seems like a lot for an axel and a single rail. Running boards and wheel chock are extra $$.. plus I'm not sure I'd like having to tear down and re-assemble the thing every time I take it out.

Quote Originally Posted by racedk6 View Post
    Here is the real question.. How much do you want to spend on a trailer?
    I would not put my bike on a harbor freight trailer. But thats just me.
    My budget is $500 but I might shell out a little more for compact stowability.

Quote Originally Posted by McVaaahhh View Post
    What's your tow vehicle?
    Mercedes ML320
    "why count the lives' complexity,
    when the leather runs smooth on the passenger seat.."

Look for a used Kendon. A great lightweight trailer that folds up super easily, doesn't take up much space and has a really low load height. You should be able to find one for just a bit more than $500.
    peter emsley - MRA #203

Get your ass to the nearest Tractor Supply Co. and get a 4x7 trailer with 12" tires expanded metal on floor and ramp..
    I have had a few and if I sell it, I can get another one for around the same money.. I paid 500 for the one I have now.. Add another 30 for spare tire and that's a good deal.. I also put a sheet of 3/4 plywood on the floor for stability.. Works freakin swell..
    I have pulled this thing loaded from TX to CO to NC back to TX and will be back in CO come August..

DETAIL DESCRIPTION
    2000 lbs GVWR
    Main frame 2 in x 2 in angle
    12 in tires rated 990 lbs each
    Fully lighted to D.O.T. Requirements
    1 7/8 in coupler with safety chain
    Wire mesh floor
    2000 lbs cambered axle
    Ramp gate for easy loading
    Removable tongue
    Wire in conduit http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/...&Special=false

That looks pretty good also. I like the built in loading gate. But I think I'm going with this harbor freight trailer. Foldable to 2ft deep, 12" Wheels and stands on rolling casters. I found a local guy selling them with plywood deck and wheel chock for $500.

Quote Originally Posted by Medicjess View Post
    I was thinking about getting one of these for my Mazda 3, but keep hearing mixed reviews. I take it you are a fan?
    Even if it wouldn't likely rip off your hitch, good luck getting going. You likely have a class I hitch, which doesn't leave you with a ton of options other than single bike trailers (actual trailers). There are a few out there, depending on what exactly you are looking for.

here you go..I am sure you can talk him down.

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/1223826632.html
    For My Diavan

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

Here's a great deal on a trailer

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/1235340437.html
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

Whatever trailer you decide on, just be sure it will be able to handle the load of your bike!

For My Diavan

I agree. If you hate your bike then by all means jump on this trailer... I wouldnt wish this trailer on my worse enemy!

Quote Originally Posted by Medicjess View Post
    I was thinking about getting one of these for my Mazda 3, but keep hearing mixed reviews. I take it you are a fan?
    I have one of those haulers, and love it. I hauled my CBR to trackdays all over Europe with never a problem. I don't think the Mazda is up to the task though. I have a late model 4-Runner, and with adjustable shocks she still squats pretty good in the rear. Actually, from a dead stop I can pull the front wheels when I nail it....lol. You could get an airbag setup, but it the trouble worth it?

Thanks RU.... I've been hearing similar things from other folks. Bummer, but I don't need to go tearing my car up when I rely on it so much in the winter!
    ~Jess~
    2010 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
    2008 Kawi GREEN Ninja 650R

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    Sometimes things happen beyond our power and we can't make it. Like...your brake lines "accidentally" get cut, or a nice man comes through your window in the middle of the night and politely suggests you withdraw from the activity...who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by RUMotarded View Post
    I have a late model 4-Runner, and with adjustable shocks she still squats pretty good in the rear. Actually, from a dead stop I can pull the front wheels when I nail it....lol.
    Get pics of that shit.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

CSC co-founder

Quote Originally Posted by Autom8ed View Post
    That looks pretty good also. I like the built in loading gate. But I think I'm going with this harbor freight trailer. Foldable to 2ft deep, 12" Wheels and stands on rolling casters. I found a local guy selling them with plywood deck and wheel chock for $500.
    IF you can easily remove the rear 'ramp' portion & the front tongue easily, I would definately go w/ the tractor supply trailer!!!!!!! Then you can do what I do w/ the harbor freight trailer.

Pick up an electric wench from Harbor Freight. Mount that to the top of the wall near your ceiling. Then Voila`... Wench that baby up & out of the way! Then I have a couple eye hooks w/ some tie downs to suck the trailer closer to the wall & loosen up the tension on the wench. It only takes a couple minutes to bring her down and t only sticks out no more than 20" from the wall.

I have the 1600lb non-collapsable Harbor Freight Trailer & it works great. If I could do it all over, & the tractor supply trailer could do what I mentioned above I would do that then.

When you get through with the Harbor Freight trailer it would be really close to cost of the tractor supply trailer, & you'd have much better quality.
    PHX, AZ

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

DAMMIT! Wish I had known about the Tractor Supply trailer before I bought my Harbor Freight trailer in the beginning of the summer.

I towed my bike to Maryland and back with my Harbor Freight trailer, BUT, it was a HUGE pain in the ass to build and get working. The ground for the wires wasn't making it past where the trailer folds so I had to scrape off a bunch of the paint around some of the screw holes to get it working. The biggest PITA was actually figuring out the grounding situation and if I didn't have someone with me who knew what they were doing I would have been screwed.

I might sell my Harbor Freight trailer and get the Tractor Supply trailer now. That ramp is a HUGE plus as getting a bike onto the Harbor Freight trailer is very difficult to do it by yourself.
    -Greg
    2013 BMW R1200GS

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    Thats a hell of a deal.. but I can't get a hold of him. What is the secret phrase to register on the MRA forums?

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Autom8ed View Post
    Thats a hell of a deal.. but I can't get a hold of him. What is the secret phrase to register on the MRA forums?
    I saw earlier today that he had sold it.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Keepitgreen View Post
    Get your ass to the nearest Tractor Supply Co. and get a 4x7 trailer with 12" tires expanded metal on floor and ramp..
    I have had a few and if I sell it, I can get another one for around the same money.. I paid 500 for the one I have now.. Add another 30 for spare tire and that's a good deal.. I also put a sheet of 3/4 plywood on the floor for stability.. Works freakin swell..
    I have pulled this thing loaded from TX to CO to NC back to TX and will be back in CO come August..

DETAIL DESCRIPTION
    2000 lbs GVWR
    Main frame 2 in x 2 in angle
    12 in tires rated 990 lbs each
    Fully lighted to D.O.T. Requirements
    1 7/8 in coupler with safety chain
    Wire mesh floor
    2000 lbs cambered axle
    Ramp gate for easy loading
    Removable tongue
    Wire in conduit http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/...&Special=false

Great looking trailer and one that I immediately wanted to purchase after visiting their site, but Colorado is notably absent from their list of States with a dealer.

Thumbs up Re: Thoughts on this Trailer?

I bought a Snow Bear utility trailer several years ago for under $600.00 at CostCo. Great trailer! tilt bed for the ATV, removal repositionable front and back gates and sides, hauls 2 full size street bikes or 4 dirt bikes,( put three on the trailer and the fourth goes on the front gate when it is in the down position. Hauls trash and debris as well as furniture. Extendable tounge allows me to through the Jon boat on it as well.

Best thing I ever did

heres a pic

The Best Ride could be the next ride